• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Inferior Si.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It isn't even somewhere down the line. I'll remember it right away. If the only memory I have a restaurant (a place to eat) is that the food was bad, then of course I'm going to make a judgement of the restaurant based on that.

See - this is where this S/N stuff gets tricky. We all have eyes, we all walk and do physical things like drive cars or exercise or listen to music.

The difference is kind of like what you were talking about to me one time on my wall, where you remember every little thing in detail, like exactly where you were when you were driving while listening to a particular tape. You were able to tell me about positions of your car, etc.

To me that kind of memory would be more vague.

It has to be about usage.

And after thinking about it, an external function is much easier to control than an internal. I can override my Si and think Ne much easier than you could do the reverse.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
This may exemplify my issue better. My issue is that Ne/Fe will wish to give it another chance every single time so as nothing is missed, when Ti should just swoop in and bring a conclusion not to go there, it is about my Ti (damn, I'm not as critical as I should be, as much as I must be. Wouldn't that make me cynical, or is that such a horrible thing to be?).

You could be stuck in a NeFe loop....

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah pay attention to detail. That's why I suggested grammar and spelling as well as doing actual physical work which requires attention to detail. I guess we could lump accounting in with that. :smile:

Instead of working on personal or emotional memory - which you appear to have a strong grasp on, as do I - literally do memory games where you have to memorize impersonal things and match them or something.

That sounds so boring LOL.

I guess for a Ne tert/inf we would play "Think of the possibilities"?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It has to be about usage.

And after thinking about it, an external function is much easier to control than an internal. I can override my Si and think Ne much easier than you could do the reverse.

No, we both still have to concentrate to make it happen.

If I don't care about Si - meaning I know I can drive on autopilot and think about other things, and frequently don't give a shit about what's going on around me in the physical environment - I'm not going to use it strongly. I'm using Si to a degree to get from point A to point B, but not with any heightened sensory awareness.

Your heightened sensory awareness gives you more detailed memory.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
P.S. This is part of the reason I don't drive, and when I cross the street or something as a pedestrian I shift to a state of heightened Se alert.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You could be stuck in a NeFe loop....

Yep, I could easily see that being the case. In the process of working that out. I think it's funny that my problem is always Fe.

And Marm that's what I usually do when I'm driving. I pay just enough attention as not to die, but beyond that I am nowhere in the vicinity of my body.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Guesswho, were you inspired to do those excercises on your own or did someone suggest that it might help with your memory, or Si function?

I asked a doctor if my attention and memory will be retarded for the rest of my life ( I was very pissed about that) and he suggested that I should do different exercises involving cubes colors and other stupid shit, and also make mental lists of stuff so that I don't lose my shit all the time, and know I live on planet Earth.
The mental lists helped, most of the time when I leave the house I check to see if I have everything, sometimes it helps, sometimes I remember I forgot something when I am already at 500 meters away.
But the attention exercises did not help. No matter how much I try, I still have a retarded memory attention. Compared to most of my friends I take the number 1 spot.

I don't know if that is exactly Si related, but the sensing function also manifests itself by sensing your surroundings.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hm, the mental list does seem like a good way to concentrate on creating a constant, similiar feeling, the attention seems more Se, which is just as low as the Introverted Sensing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hm, the mental list does seem like a good way to concentrate on creating a constant, similiar feeling, the attention seems more Se, which is just as low as the Introverted Sensing.

Interesting. My Se is average while my Si is my lowest, according to functions tests, but Si still makes more sense to me and I don't know why.

I noticed that a lot of ENFPs and ENTPs actually had decent Se, so it might just be the way the questions are worded.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think out of both the Se is found to be the greatest asset for the Ne, because Extraverted Intuition needs to be aware of their immediate surroundings in order to make correct connections. It's a goal of mine to increase my Se at least to a usuable point so that I can get concrete information in the present to alter it into something new.

Though Si is the best support for Ne because it needs to remember what to repeat and what not to repeat.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is interesting. I'd like to find out how to get better at this myself. For example, I cook a lot. Even when I get great results, I'm not necessarily motivated to duplicate it. It seems to be a reflex to 'try a different way' but always with the desire to improve (or be clever).

The memory exercises and detail-oriented activities sound like they could be useful but how does one squelch the knee-jerk reaction of "boring!" when attempting these tasks?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm beginning to think (for me anyway) that memorizing music might be a good way at making it interesting. It's complex and you would do your best to replicate the sounds you hear on any instrument you can find, or just the lyrics. If you made something into a song it may be easier to remember. I feel as if I heard that somewhere. I'm telling you now :).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
No, we both still have to concentrate to make it happen.

If I don't care about Si - meaning I know I can drive on autopilot and think about other things, and frequently don't give a shit about what's going on around me in the physical environment - I'm not going to use it strongly. I'm using Si to a degree to get from point A to point B, but not with any heightened sensory awareness.

Your heightened sensory awareness gives you more detailed memory.

Actually, I as a Si user don't have any special attentiveness to the physical environment, especially since I'm working primary Si. Like I said, if I see something it will cause a mental trigger that will take me places I've been (more likely than forward looking). I'm in the moment with driving to the degree necessary. The lighter the traffic, the less hazardous the road, the more likely I'm going to be someplace else.

Like I mentioned before, I don't have to be overly aware of my surroundings. You and I can take a casual glance at something and it takes us different places; the only difference is that I can recall the details better than you can. Doesn't mean I looked at it any longer or any harder than you.

I use whatever function is necessary to get things done. Some I have better use at than others.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm beginning to think (for me anyway) that memorizing music might be a good way at making it interesting. It's complex and you would do your best to replicate the sounds you hear on any instrument you can find, or just the lyrics. If you made something into a song it may be easier to remember. I feel as if I heard that somewhere. I'm telling you now :).

I can listen to a song- let's say rap, where they use a lot of samples. I can usually pick up on the sample- what other song they used to make the new one. I don't commit the sample to memory.

I also like to listen to music, and sometimes, instead of taking it as a whole, focus on one aspect (maybe the percussions, or strings, etc) to see how it's playing out. I have the ability to do both.

I think that last part of your statement is an instance of Si....It's familiar, but you may not really be able to pinpoint it..... so maybe your Si isn't as 'inferior' as you think. :wink:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

But wouldn't depth of Si be being able to remember certain instances that come to mind as a reference to this one? Would you consider a dominant, or aux even to have this lack of sensual depth?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
But wouldn't depth of Si be being able to remember certain instances that come to mind as a reference to this one? Would you consider a dominant, or aux even to have this lack of sensual depth?

I can understand your question a few ways...

I can't always pinpoint the connection between what I see and where my mind takes me....Si's ability is not measured by how exact you are in your reference. A Si dom could say they 'remember' something and be totally wrong. (As I was typing this I went back to me an my ISFJ buddy who swore up and down that the supermarket at a certain intersection was X, but I knew it was Y. I knew I was right- and I was. As a matter of fact, his recollection a lot of times in these instances are very wrong, but I think it's due to his strenth of recollection of feelings, body language and all of that- stuff that I seem to miss. I'm more in tune to recalling information and actions. He'll remember more of how something was said, while I'll remember exactly what words were used.).

It's just like a Ni dom who can be totally off with theirs- doesn't mean they suck at Ni.

If that's not what you were asking, let me know.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That seems to pin my question down. The precision of Si is all about what judging function is being used with it. As for instance I try to pinpoint what exactly I remember, because of Ti. If I can figure out why I connected it the way I did I can get closer to the answer I'm looking for, with Fe it was the fact that he saw social gestures and remembered physical reactions, and with your Te you understood (Logistics to some point) about the location of the grocery store. Thank you for clearing that up.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That seems to pin my question down. The precision of Si is all about what judging function is being used with it. As for instance I try to pinpoint what exactly I remember, because of Ti. If I can figure out why I connected it the way I did I can get closer to the answer I'm looking for, with Fe it was the fact that he saw social gestures and remembered physical reactions, and with your Te you understood (Logistics to some point) about the location of the grocery store. Thank you for clearing that up.

You got it.

As of lately I'm experimenting with SiFi.

With tert Fi, I suck at translating my feelings and why. Really I don't think I've ever until I sat back and assessed my breakup with my ex last year. It wasn't until we broke up that I felt a sense of relief, but then when I really reflected, (Si like crazy- every and anything took me back to stuff between me and her) I realized that the real reason was my job, not my girl. Now I'm in the habit of assessing how I feel about something, at the same time building up my Si bank for reference. Ne comes into play once I am comfortable with a situation, especially when I'm not totally satisfied with my Si outlook.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I suppose that's what causes the appearance of security. You don't 'shake things up' until you've got a firm hold on the situation. Is your Ne usually always directed towards a task, you aren't likely to just come up with ideas on a wimb are you?