• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs; Inferior Se; And Horrible Taste in Automobiles...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aww, I never meant for them to be derogatory, Jim. I just felt like teasing you about it...I even enjoy it being there :smooch:

Tbh, I don't have an opinion on cars. I just roll my eyes at the guys who go all gaga about it and find myself sometimes being utterly endeared. You drive what you want, as long as it makes you happy :hug:

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Aww, I never meant for them to be derogatory, Jim. I just felt like teasing you about it...I even enjoy it being there :smooch:

Tbh, I don't have an opinion on cars. I just roll my eyes at the guys who go all gaga about it and find myself sometimes being utterly endeared. You drive what you want, as long as it makes you happy :hug:

I know :) But I thought it best to point out that there are other, better ways to tease.

How about a trip on the orient express? I hear it's superbly continental. More fun than a car any day.

Aff_ciwl_orient_express4_jw.jpg

orientexpress1909_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

OrientExpressRestaurant.jpg

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i've done the one through thailand a few times,
and the bkk - singapore one. it's okay.
i usually bring clients on it. foreigners seem to like it.

i did the cusco - macchu picchu route through peru
and it was kinda meh, totally different quality.
service on the eastern routes is always better.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
i've done the one through thailand a few times,
and the bkk - singapore one. it's okay.
i usually bring clients on it. foreigners seem to like it.

i did the cusco - macchu picchu route through peru
and it was kinda meh, totally different quality.
service on the eastern routes is always better.

I did the one from Singapore through Laos. It only works well with good company, I wonder if they have internets these days?

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Our choices are endless. What's right and what's wrong?

I agree for the most part. To be honest, I didn't have people like you in mind when I used the term "irrational". You clearly made a well thought out decision.

I think I have a distrust of most behaviors promoted by popular culture / commercial interests.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
This could have simply been a difference in values, so long as you had said something along the lines of, "It doesn't make sense for me to spend a lot of money on a car."
That would be too watered down. I do believe that my perspective is more sensible for typical circumstances.

But what you actually did in your first post was:

1.Make the claim that men buy "nice cars" in order "to feel superior over other men."
Owning expensive cars are all about status. Rarity. Quality. Faster. Nicer. More advanced. It's all about owning something that is superior to what others have. It makes you feels superior in some way.

It's not necessarily bad, but I would rather feel proud over real personal accomplishments. Buying something made by someone else is not that pride-worthy, in my opinion.

2.Make the claim that it is "irrational" to buy a "nice car".
No. It is irrational/insensible to buy an expensive car unless you're rich enough to not have make sacrifices in more important aspects of your life.

Regarding the second, as you mentioned, I demonstrated in post #251 that, according your own definition of "rational", you were actually wrong.

I fail to see why you are so proud of post 251. It was simply a wordy way to say "different people have different goals." It should be obvious that I would not assert that it is never rational to buy an expensive car. That's too easy to refute. If someone's goal was personal bankruptcy, then
obviously, buying an expensive car would be rational.

I am going to suggest to you that it would probably be much smarter to just stay away from this thread,
Why? Because I should fear your razor sharp wit?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well, after reading your first post above, I was about to give you a :cheers:, thinking you'd found the integrity to admit that the position you'd been arguing was wrong, but, considering, with this second post, you've basically just reversed your previous position while trying to appear like you haven't, well, I'll just leave it at that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So I've gathered that INTJs think we're picking on them, even when we're not. It makes them not much different from NFPs. No wonder we like them.

*cracks Cadbury egg open, observes gooey runny sweet innards, feels guilty for cracking egg, tries to put back together, gives up and eats it instead*

OM NOM NOM INTJs!!!

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Well, after reading your first post above, I was about to give you a :cheers:, thinking you'd found the integrity to admit that the position you'd been arguing was wrong, but, considering, with this second post, you've basically just reversed your previous position while trying to appear like you haven't, well, I'll just leave it at that.
My position remained consistent. I'm not putting down everyone who like cars. I just think the affinity goes beyond what is reasonable in many cases. I'm surprised that some were offended, since T's tend to favor logic over emotion when making decisions. When I bought my last car, I forced myself to not go overboard, even though it was tempting.

I'm outspoken, but not particularly judgmental. I think we just like arguing. :)

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
You know what? The key is who sees the pattern first. If you don't see the pattern, it won't be escaped. And not all patterns are bad, some are a product of actual good functioning. But they still need to be escaped and seen from outside because if you don't see those patterns, you run a real risk of choosing badly, undermining your own interests, or simply not doing well what you want to do well.

So this stick you guys see...

Yeah, whatever. Someone else decide what that pattern is. It isn't one that brings you closer to knowing what your INTJ is up to. It is one that privileges your perception of the world. And as such, it is one that keeps you blinded.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think that an argument could be made that it's self-centered and wasteful for everyone to own their own vehicle, regardless of what kind it is. I mean, think about the amount of petroleum we're using up to drive the cars, to manufacture the cars, to manufacture the tires... etc, for each individual. Not to mention insurance, maintenance, the cost of fuel... when you add all that up, you realize that we would all be a lot better off if the government had taken control early on, and insisted on building out a mass transit infrastructure, rather than this chaotic, congested mess of traffic and highways where everyone has their own personal car.

Think how many fewer resources we would be wasting if that had happened. Think how much slower pollution would have been. But no, everyone cared more about that feeling of freedom and convenience in the moment, over considering the future or the good of the many. And pretty soon, it's going to catch up with us, and we're all going to be paying the HUGE price for over 100 years of the "convenience and freedom" of having a car. It's not even as if people drove fuel efficient cars... most of them drive gas guzzling SUVs and trucks.

What I find amusing, that we have 40-page debates on TASTE, but no one seriously questions the whole idea of car ownership as a positive thing. I mean, granted that the way things are now, a lot of people can't practically get by without them. It's a necessary evil for those people. I can see how INTJs might think, "Well, if I'm going to have to drive a car, it might as well be the best performing." But a lot of people who don't really need them insist on having them anyway. As far as I'm concerned, that's the real problem, and it wasn't INTJs who created it (at least not primarily)...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ Interesting that you say this Athenian, cuz the whole time I would have been open to this line of argumentation, and, just yesterday, I thought to myself, interesting that nobody has brought up this line of argumentation, cuz, if they were to, I would have to say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I've more or less always agreed with that, but, well, whatcha gunna do?" I mean, I agree with you that it's almost all for the "convenience and freedom" of owning a car, which, personally, being from Southern California, is not only necessary (as you pointed out), but thoroughly enjoyable (for me and others like me, at least). But, realize, when all of this was getting rolling, there wasn't really a good understanding of the (potential) negative externalities, and, even now, we really still aren't completely aware of them.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, the thing about environmental concern is, mere reduction of pollution is mostly uninteresting. But technology that eliminates waste gases and whatnot... that'd be cool. Reduction is an ongoing management question whereas elimination is breakthrough science and super-cool engineering.

People vs Things, I guess.

I haven't driven in a long while, but my first car was a Morris Mini-Minor--owned by my grandmother, driven by me, a raincoat with wheels. I Googled "classic mini":

31Zd6N7aroL._AA280_.jpg

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
My position remained consistent.

No, it did not.

You started off by saying it was irrational to buy nice cars, and that men do it to get a feeling of superiority over other men.

You are now backing up on that first point; over the latter, you have still shown no proof or evidence whatsoever, nor will you be able to.

Perhaps you are so concerned with other men that you care about these things you've mentioned; but that doesn't mean all men do.

This has already been gone over a number of times, so you're really just ignoring what has already been written.

It's all quite a shame, cuz I'd genuinely thought you'd turned the corner and decided to take the path of integrity by just admitting that you were wrong, and being done with it (my girlfriend can to attest to this; she's sitting right next to me, and we were both pleasantly surprised by the path we [apparently wrongly] thought you had decided to take).

I'm surprised that some were offended, since T's tend to favor logic over emotion when making decisions.

We were offended because your argument was illogical.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well, the thing about environmental concern is, mere reduction of pollution is mostly uninteresting. But technology that eliminates waste gases and whatnot... that'd be cool. Reduction is an ongoing management question whereas elimination is breakthrough science and super-cool engineering.

People vs Things, I guess.

Yeah, I've been thinking this as well.

I'm afraid we may get to the point where, if all this global warming stuff turns out to be true, that we might have to engage in climate engineering.

The problem is, what government body is going to be in charge of such an endeavor (the UN?), and how high is the chance we just end up making things worse?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh man, climate engineering...

I am reminded of a possibly apocryphal story out of the Manhattan Project: when they first tried an experiment to produce a critical mass reaction, they had guys standing around with buckets of reaction-dampening stuff, ready to pour over the experiment if it got out of control.

So I'd pretty much go with, yeah, climate engineering will happen. No one will take official responsibility for it, though. The big, rich-enough countries with some kind of vested interest will do something. China or the US. Probably China. But not for another twenty or so years.

/wild extrapolation of minimal knowledge.

The interesting thing: China is very, very rapidly degrading its own country, to the recognisable extent of, say, recently restricting the number of cars that can be bought and driven in Beijing even though car production is one of the big businesses; and what's more, China has little or no background technology to waste time with, yet the country is getting richer, so they're well placed to start work on environmental tech like you wouldn't believe. Yet the country can't do science for shit. The number of scientific patents China holds will rise quickly over the coming years, but not in breakthrough technology. More like incremental developments on gene tech for food. But..........

Or not. I don't really know.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Oh man, climate engineering...

I am reminded of a possibly apocryphal story out of the Manhattan Project: when they first tried an experiment to produce a critical mass reaction, they had guys standing around with buckets of reaction-dampening stuff, ready to pour over the experiment if it got out of control.

So I'd pretty much go with, yeah, climate engineering will happen. No one will take official responsibility for it, though. The big, rich-enough countries with some kind of vested interest will do something. China or the US. Probably China. But not for another twenty or so years.

/wild extrapolation of minimal knowledge.

Well, they already started with the Beijing Olympics...

They've been practicing that cloud destruction stuff for decades, I believe (not that that's even close to what would be needed for the circumstance we're talking about...).

The interesting thing: China is very, very rapidly degrading its own country, to the recognisable extent of, say, recently restricting the number of cars that can be bought and driven in Beijing even though car production is one of the big businesses; and what's more, China has little or no background technology to waste time with, yet the country is getting richer, so they're well placed to start work on environmental tech like you wouldn't believe. Yet the country can't do science for shit. The number of scientific patents China holds will rise quickly over the coming years, but not in breakthrough technology. More like incremental developments on gene tech for food. But..........

Or not. I don't really know.

Interesting perspective...

Why do you think they're so shit at science?

I've figured their time in the sun was just coming...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
^ Interesting that you say this Athenian, cuz the whole time I would have been open to this line of argumentation, and, just yesterday, I thought to myself, interesting that nobody has brought up this line of argumentation, cuz, if they were to, I would have to say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I've more or less always agreed with that, but, well, whatcha gunna do?" I mean, I agree with you that it's almost all for the "convenience and freedom" of owning a car, which, personally, being from Southern California, is not only necessary (as you pointed out), but thoroughly enjoyable (for me and others like me, at least). But, realize, when all of this was getting rolling, there wasn't really a good understanding of the (potential) negative externalities, and, even now, we really still aren't completely aware of them.

That's true, we weren't aware of a lot of them when we started out. But we've been aware of many of them for several years, and have done little about them.

I think that government intervention is the only way we're going to get people to give up their cars now. As you say, it's pleasurable for many people, and let's face it... most people are more interested in what feels good to them, than in what's best for everyone in the long run. Especially since most people believe that the pollution and resource problems won't affect them in their lifetime.

My idea is this:

1. Over the course of the next ten/twenty years, the government tries to roll out mass transportation in all cities above a certain size, and make those cities reasonably navigable without cars.

2. After those ten/twenty years, they put additional taxes on car ownership for people who live in urban areas with adequate public transportation.

3. Five years after step two, there is a complete ban on driving personal cars in aforementioned urban areas. People who live in rural areas that don't have access to this are still allowed to have cars, but they must meet strict emission standards.

4. As smaller towns grow, they reach the point where adequate public transportation is implemented, and the same pattern of cars being heavily taxed and then banned is followed. The areas in which people are allowed to own cars slowly shrink, and become limited to less and less inhabited areas. By this point, since most people live in the cities, the number of cars remaining is no longer a problem.

The problem is, the people are never going to go for this plan. It has to be implemented from the top down... and America just isn't very good at doing that, as a democracy.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And what about the cows? Make everyone vegetarians, too?

Personally, I'm rather happy that we have problems implementing things like this.

Some other major countries do not, and they are not places where I'd prefer to live.

I think your plan sounds ok, but, just off the top of my head, I can see a number of problems with it.

When it would actually be implemented, I'm sure those problems would only be magnified tenfold.

That being said, the lesson of the 20th century (market economy > command economy), is currently in a bit of a crisis.

Over the next several decades, even in the US, there will likely be increased experimentation with increased levels of government control/intervention in the economy.

Right now, though, I don't think there's any room at all in the local, state, or federal budgets to overhaul the transportation system in the way you've recommended.

Furthermore, the system you propounded would almost certainly eliminate lower-income peoples from car-ownership, while the rich would still have full access.

The question becomes: "Is all this really worth the potential costs of not doing it?"

Personally, I don't really know that it is...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
And what about the cows? Make everyone vegetarians, too?

Well, that wouldn't serve any purpose... meat actually delivers more nutrition than vegetables. But I see your point. You see the scenario as though it were being implemented because of someone's personal values (like the belief that eating meat is wrong), rather than because it makes better use of our limited resources and cuts down on pollution. I don't agree that that's the case, but I will say that this should not be done because of anyone's values, but only because of the problems with continuing to do things the way we've done them.

If you disagree that there are problems with the way things are being done and have been done that must be addressed, and can explain why you believe this to be the case... then I will admit that my idea is wrong in principle, because it is founded on the assumption that what we are doing currently is unsustainable and ultimately bad for everyone.
Personally, I'm rather happy that we have problems implementing things like this.

Some other major countries do not, and they are not places where I'd prefer to live.

Yes, it may make you happy. But it's not good for the long term. That's the entire problem with democracy... people are driven to do things that are destructive and wasteful in the long-term, because they bring happiness in the present. I think that eventually, people will look back and say that those other major countries were like the ant, and America was like the grasshopper.
I think your plan sounds ok, but, just off the top of my head, I can see a number of problems with it.

When it would actually be implemented, I'm sure those problems would only be magnified tenfold.

You are probably right. I haven't thought out the details of the plan, I just created an outline for how we might go about getting rid of cars, if we were to do it. In reality, the best we can probably hope for is that they'll finally get all the older cars off the road, and insist that all cars meet current emissions standards. And maybe increase taxes on them. But that's about as far as they'll go, and while that might make a small dent in pollution, it won't be enough.
That being said, the lesson of the 20th century (market economy > command economy), is currently in a bit of a crisis.

Over the next several decades, even in the US, there will likely be increased experimentation with increased levels of government control/intervention in the economy.

I'm really not surprised. I think that ultimately, the current US model will be found to be terribly ineffective and wasteful. It will likely be found that a primarily market economy with significant government oversight is the best way to go. Neither system in pure form is adequate, and we know this from experience. The first country to realize this and create such an economy... will have a major advantage, and possibly even become a world leader.

Right now, though, I don't think there's any room at all in the local, state, or federal budgets to overhaul the transportation system in the way you've recommended.

Perhaps not, but it should still be done as soon as possible. In fact, it should have been done a long time ago. Things cannot be allowed to continue on the way they've been going indefinitely (according to my current understanding of the issue), because it's ultimately unsustainable and possibly suicidal.

Furthermore, the system you propounded would almost certainly eliminate lower-income peoples from car-ownership, while the rich would still have full access.

The question becomes: "Is all this really worth the potential costs of not doing it?"

Personally, I don't really know that it is...

This is true. I'm sure that would be the case, but... ultimately, it still serves the purpose because there are fewer wealthy people than low-income people. It will be upsetting to the lower-income people to see the rich continuing to drive around, though. As oil becomes more scarce, however, I think that market forces would naturally force us towards similar situations (where the wealthy drive, and the rest of us don't), but without the benefit of foresight or good public transportation systems to replace cars that people can no longer afford.

But still, I don't see a way around it that doesn't involve a solution similar to this. If one is possible, it would obviously be preferable.