User Tag List

First 37454647484957 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, even if you don't believe in global warming... are you not afraid of what will happen if we start running out of oil?

Or do you believe that we'll be able to replace oil quickly enough that we can go on without it?
    Not at all. Let me make a chart of how cost curves work and I'll get back to you and explain this in more depth.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Clearly livestock is a more important issue than cars. There are alternatives.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0107083737.htm

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned

Well, even if you don't believe in global warming... are you not afraid of what will happen if we start running out of oil?

Or do you believe that we'll be able to replace oil quickly enough that we can go on without it?
    Okay here you go: cost curves

Oil is a non-renewable resource; which is cheaper than the available alternatives. For alternatives see 'hydrogen cars/electric powered etc.'

For the first X% it remains cheaper per energy unit/convenience to utilize. At a certain point an alternative shows a more effective/economic method of achieving the same result.

Then you hop to using that resource.

For a great example of this analyse the dash for gas in the 70s in the UK. Plenty of dirty coal around, or cheaper offshore gas - gas please!

What have you got now? 'Lets build nuclear power stations! Gas is expensive.'

For your information there is supposed to be some ludicrous amounts of coal available in the UK, it's just not economic to mine it compared to Australia or Chile.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Okay here you go: cost curves

Oil is a non-renewable resource; which is cheaper than the available alternatives. For alternatives see 'hydrogen cars/electric powered etc.'

For the first X% it remains cheaper per energy unit/convenience to utilize. At a certain point an alternative shows a more effective/economic method of achieving the same result.

Then you hop to using that resource.

For a great example of this analyse the dash for gas in the 70s in the UK. Plenty of dirty coal around, or cheaper offshore gas - gas please!

What have you got now? 'Lets build nuclear power stations! Gas is expensive.'

For your information there is supposed to be some ludicrous amounts of coal available in the UK, it's just not economic to mine it compared to Australia or Chile.
    So, theoretically, we can create reasonably priced alternatives to oil for power generation and even automobiles, even though they're a bit more expensive. That's good to know, I thought we were still pretty far away from that.

That means the only remaining problem is figuring out how to manufacture things like plastics and tires without using petroleum.

Just one thing I'm curious about, though... when you say "Gas is expensive" in the above example, are you talking about natural gas or fuel for automobiles?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

*laughs at fact that thread started by ENFP to mock how INTJs' inferior Se leads them to choose flashy sports cars started off strongly with inferior Se flashy-car-loving but inevitably turned into dominant Ni future-thinking about sustainability of cars*

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

[YOUTUBE="rs-jAImScms"][/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    *laughs at fact that thread started by ENFP to mock how INTJs' inferior Se leads them to choose flashy sports cars started off strongly with inferior Se flashy-car-loving but inevitably turned into dominant Ni future-thinking about sustainability of cars*
    It was an INFJ who pushed it that way, but the INTJs did gladly jump into the discussion with charts and graphs explaining that the problem didn't require social engineering from the top-down, but could be solved by usingl market forces.

It looks like I didn't have much of a point, anyway... I did some more research, and it looks like we've got plenty of alternatives to oil lined up, in all areas. The plastics can be replaced with organic, biodegradable plastics, the cars can be replaced with electric ones, and the power generation can be replaced with several different things.

They're all just waiting for the price of oil to go up so that they'll be needed. So the problem doesn't exist in the way that has been described by some.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

It was an INFJ who pushed it that way, but the INTJs did gladly jump into the discussion with charts and graphs explaining that the problem didn't require social engineering from the top-down, but could be solved by usingl market forces.

It looks like I didn't have much of a point, anyway... I did some more research, and it looks like we've got plenty of alternatives to oil lined up, in all areas. The plastics can be replaced with organic, biodegradable plastics, the cars can be replaced with electric ones, and the power generation can be replaced with several different things.

They're all just waiting for the price of oil to go up so that they'll be needed. So the problem doesn't exist in the way that has been described by some.
    Waitaminute! Someone actually did research and ended up agreeing?! That's not supposed to happen!! Where are our flame wars?

Quick, someone start another Fe/Fi thread!
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

*laughs at attempt by tertiary Se to bring damn inferior Se back on topic*

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You started off by saying it was irrational to buy nice cars,
    You are right. I was absolutely wrong. It's not irrational 100% of the time.

Perhaps you are so concerned with other men that you care about these things you've mentioned; but that doesn't mean all men do.
    You are correct. I was absolutely wrong. Not 100% of the men care about status.

It's all quite a shame, cuz I'd genuinely thought you'd turned the corner and decided to take the path of integrity by just admitting that you were wrong, and being done with it (my girlfriend can to attest to this; she's sitting right next to me, and we were both pleasantly surprised by the path we [apparently wrongly] thought you had decided to take).
    OK. I just admitted I was 100% wrong on both counts. But this still leaves the important parts of my arguments fully intact.

Zarathustra, how do you feel about a non wealthy housewife spending $20K on a handbag? Do you feel it's a sound, rational decision as long as she enjoy the purchase? Or do you consider other factors before deciding?