User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Is it wrong if I want to get closer to that greatness, even if only in some small measure, and at an (arguably) silly price?
    Not immoral, but inefficient. It's a large expenditure of resources for trivial gains.

More importantly why do you care anyways?
    I don't. But this is a discussion forum, in the NT section.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is a very circular discussion

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Are you projecting?
    Nope.

No offense, but your debate debate style is very SF-like. You simply assert value judgments with no proof.
    It's rather pathetic that you need to assert something like this.

The timing was also hilarious, considering the next quote you used from me was a formal logical proof.

Are you really capable of believing this bullshit you spew?

Furthermore, you're the one throwing value judgments and claims around without any proof whatsoever -- I've already shown this multiple times.

Every single intelligent person who reads this thread will realize this.

But you did not state what your greater goals are. I don't even know if you are being consistent at this point.
    All I have to say is that any car I buy will be in line with my greater goals.

The only case you could make that would be consistent with what you've claimed is that it would be impossible for buying a nice car to be part of one's greater goals.

Feel free to try to defend such a claim, but it would be an idiotic attempt.

It may be irrational for you to purchase a "nice car", but that does not mean it would be irrational for every other human being.

You are clearly mistaking your own values for supposedly "rational" ones, which is a common mistake committed by people with weak critical thinking skills.

It's nothing more than subjective, personal value judgment.

If it's hedonism, then there's no basis for rational debate.
    You apparently need to gain a better understanding of the relationship between values, emotions, utility, and reason.

You also need to learn to better use the quoting system.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That tends to be the case when you're dealing with someone who is mistaking their attempt to force their values on others as "rationality".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Tell me your hobbies so I can tell you why you are a piece of shit for pursuing them.
    /thread
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Argumentum ad hominem. I wondered what it truly meant and so I looked it up.

http://plover.net/~bonds/adhominem.html

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    When did this become a specific case about me?
    This discussion is about the general rationality or irrationality of buying a car one wants to buy.
    The common belief is that people buy expensive cars to flaunt their wealth to others in order to draw attention to themselves. If your reasons are different, then I would like to hear what they are. Simply saying that you like expensive cars is a cop-out. There are usually psychological reasons for preferences. Clever marketers are familiar with these tendencies and are well poised to capitalize on them.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Because some of my opponents are simply expressing displeasure rather than present actual rebuttals.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

[YOUTUBE="3FTS2tdmyYM"]Girls and boys[/YOUTUBE]

Not my reason.

But it doesn't hurt.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Tell me your hobbies so I can tell you why you are a piece of shit for pursuing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    /thread
    Exactly.

The common belief is that people buy expensive cars to flaunt their wealth to others in order to draw attention to themselves. If your reasons are different, then I would like to hear what they are. Simply saying that you like expensive cars is a cop-out. There are usually psychological reasons for preferences. Clever marketers are familiar with these tendencies and are well poised to capitalize on them.
    I already directly offered you one, Disco directly offered you many, and many more have been stated throughout this thread.

Furthermore, your arguments have repeatedly been shown to be incredibly weak.

What you have called the "common belief", regardless of whether you are accurate in assuming that this is indeed a commonly held belief, is totally irrelevant, as the supposed fact that many people believe this does not entail that an individual who purchases a "nice car" has actually done so for the reasons propounded by this "common belief".

I don't usually care to point out when people commit informal logical fallacies, as their use does not necessarily make an argument any less true, but, in this circumstance, it does, so I will state it: what you have done is make an argumentum ad populum, which, to be honest, is one of the most see-through and weakest arguments you can make.

As I said before, everyone intelligent person who reads this thread will see that all you are doing is attempting to force your subjective value judgments on other people, under the guise of supposed "rationality".

This is why I said, at the very beginning of this argument, that you seem to have severely underdeveloped Fi (the need to force your own subjective value judgments on others is one of the most obvious characteristics of underdeveloped Fi), but, even more worrisome is the fact that, as an INTJ, your inability to see the severe error in your reasoning, seems to stem from an apparent inability, at least in this case, to see the matter from another perspective, which would be a strong indicator of underdeveloped Ni. As a supposed Ni-dom, this is rather disconcerting; if I were you, I would question whether I'm actually an Ni-dom; furthermore, if you indeed are, I would ask myself what I need to do to better develop my dominant function.