User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

Results 251 to 260 of 681

  1. #251
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Saying that a choice is a poor allocation of resources is not hate.
    No, but you're definitely hatin'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    It is an objective statement of the facts as I see it.
    Well, as I've shown below, the way you're seeing it is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Are you implying that values should always be accepted without criticism?
    No, and nothing I said would imply that.

    I said "I would not necessarily hate on them for it".

    If they show reasons for hating on them for it, then I will.

    Merely owning the car is not enough to properly determine that.

    I already mentioned this earlier in the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Irrelevant. It is still an inefficient allocation of resources. It simply has less impact on your financial well being if you are rich.
    No, it's not irrelevant.

    If it fits into my personal utility equation, then it is extremely relevant.

    You don't seem to understand that different human beings have different utility equations.

    You are making the mistake of believing that other peoples' utility equations must be like yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I am making the assumption that you trying to explain your choice rationally. If you're just saying "I like what I like. Don't criticize me for it", then the discussion will be boring.
    According to your own definition of "rational", if one buys a car because it fits into one's greater goals, then it is a rational decision.

    Therefore, the only requirement for one's car choice to be rational is that it fits into one's greater goals.

    Therefore, in order for your conclusion to be correct, it would have to be impossible for buying a "nice car" to fit into one's greater goals.

    But different human beings have different goals (and utility equations, and circumstances), and, as such, it is possible for buying a "nice car" to fit into the greater goals of some human beings.

    For you to assume that it would be impossible for such compatible goals, utility equations, and/or circumstances to exist, is, simply put, wrong.

    There are indeed human beings who possess such compatible goals, utility equations, and/or circumstances.

    The mistake you are making is very evident: You are making the mistake of assuming that your own personal, subjective goals, utility equation, and/or circumstances, which, apparently, do not include and/or are not compatible with owning a nice car, must apply to all other human beings.

    And then, when this is not the case for other people, you call these people "irrational".

    It is a very common form of argumentation.

    You see it all the time.

    It is, at its essence, a form of bigotry.

    It's also why your argument is a complete logical failure.

    All you're really doing is attempting to force your own personal, subjective value judgments (about fucking cars, for fuck's sake) on others.

    Congratulations.



  2. #252
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The OP presented a very valid criticism of the obsession with expensive status cars.
    Valid only according to a certain set of axioms/values.

    You really need to read some philosophy or something, in order to learn how to critically think.

    You seem to have a very poor handle on logic, rationality, utility functions, values, and pretty much everything I've seen you argue thus far.

  3. #253
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Is it possible that you are projecting?
    Perhaps. But I have yet to see you present anything to prove that it does not apply to you.

    That you have feelings of resentment, inferiority, and/or being dominated over, and thus are projecting this supposed desire for dominance onto others, even if it's not really there?
    When rational reasons are not presented, I fall back on the most probable explanation for the behavior, status.

    Actually, the desire for dominance is ingrained into the T psyche. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as it is expressed in a constructive manner. I don't think paying to acquire feelings without actual achievement is constructive.

  4. #254
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Not Me what are your hobbies?

    The speed is limited by law.
    Track days you twat waffle.

  5. #255
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    "obsession" - no
    "expensive" - hardly (some are, but not all)
    "status" - meh.

    As an INTJ, do you understand the fun that can be had with a laser pointer and polaroid lenses? A nice car is no different, it just appears to conform to the values you arbitrarily assign.
    Absolutely. But those toys are cheap. A status car is too high of a price for too little gain. Inefficient use of resources.

  6. #256
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Expense goes up the closer you get to the cutting edge of technology.

    It's true for anything.

    In F1 it costs XX,XXX,XXX of dollars to gain just a second of speed.

    Because of the price should they not try to go faster?

    Is it wrong if I want to get closer to that greatness, even if only in some small measure, and at an (arguably) silly price?

    More importantly why do you care anyways?

  7. #257
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    [QUOTE=Zarathustra;1445031]No, but you're definitely hatin'.
    Are you projecting?

    You obviously don't know what you're talking about here.
    No offense, but your debate debate style is very SF-like. You simply assert value judgments with no proof.

    According to your own definition of rational, if one buys a car because it fits into their greater goals, then it is rational.

    Therefore, the only thing that must be true in order for one's car choice to be rational, is that it fits into one's greater goals.

    Therefore, you lose.
    But you did not state what your greater goals are. I don't even know if you are being consistent at this point. If it's hedonism, then there's no basis for rational debate.

  8. #258
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Is it possible that you are projecting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Perhaps.
    It certainly seems so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    But I have yet to see you present anything to prove that it does not apply to you.
    When did this become a specific case about me?

    This discussion is about the general rationality or irrationality of buying a car one wants to buy.

    Furthermore, as any intelligent person would know, there is no proof I could provide other than my own personal testament.

    Regardless, as I demonstrated two posts ago, in the general case, even by your own definition of rational, you are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    When rational reasons are not presented, I fall back on the most probable explanation for the behavior, status.
    You are misusing the word rational, and you have absolutely no proof, other than personal opinion, that "status" is the most probable explanation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Actually, the desire for dominance is ingrained into the T psyche.
    Do you have any proof for this?

    Also, how is it even relevant?

  9. #259
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Not Me what are your hobbies?
    Track days you twat waffle.
    Say what?

  10. #260
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Tell me your hobbies so I can tell you why you are a piece of shit for pursuing them.

Similar Threads

  1. Losing/Breaking possessions and inferior Se
    By greenfairy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 04:46 PM
  2. [NT] NT's and Taste in Comedy
    By Didums in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 02:25 AM
  3. [INFJ] INFJs and bad taste in music.
    By MonkeyGrass in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 02:56 AM
  4. [INTJ] INTJ, Responsibility, Duty and Competency
    By InvisibleJim in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 01:20 PM
  5. [Se] Squashing upstart inferior-Se?
    By Skyward in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO