User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Results 241 to 250 of 681

  1. #241
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I appreciate a marvelous piece of engineering.
    A hands free self flushing toilet is also an engineering marvel.
    Define rational, and then show me how it is irrational to like nice cars.
    It's when your choice is consistent with your greater goals. Paying big bucks to acquire so little gain in performance is inefficient unless you're filthy rich. Your resources could be better spent elsewhere.

  2. #242
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    A hands free self flushing toilet is also an engineering marvel.
    Yes, and I've seen people with them who can afford them, and they're rather neat.

    I don't really value them all that highly, but other people can choose to purchase what they want, and I'm mature enough to not necessarily hate on them for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    It's when your choice is consistent with your greater goals. Paying big bucks to acquire so little gain in performance is inefficient unless you're filthy rich. Your resources could be better spent elsewhere.
    And if I make enough money to easily afford the nice car I choose to drive?

    p.s. You might want to learn to use the quoting system better. As it stands, you're putting words in my mouth.

  3. #243
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Your resources could be better spent elsewhere.
    So could your intelligence.

  4. #244
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Because they often represent the pinnacle of available vehicle technology.
    But the pinnacle is only slightly better than the average, but cost several times more. It's inefficient allocation of your resources.
    Because they can be beautiful.
    Common cars can be also.

    Because they are (much more often than not) made well, using excellent materials.
    Once again, it's a small improvement at a very great price.

    Because they go fast and that excites me.
    The speed is limited by law. You cannot reach your destination significantly faster. Isn't it just a feeling of dominance over other men?

  5. #245
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Really man, life's too short.

  6. #246
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yes, and I've seen people with them who can afford them, and they're rather neat.

    I don't really value them all that highly, but other people can choose to purchase what they want, and I'm mature enough to not necessarily hate on them for it.
    Saying that a choice is a poor allocation of resources is not hate. It is an objective statement of the facts as I see it. Are you implying that values should always be accepted without criticism?

    And if I make enough money to easily afford the nice car I choose to drive?
    Irrelevant. It is still an inefficient allocation of resources. It simply has less impact on your financial well being if you are rich.

    p.s. You might want to learn to use the quoting system better. As it stands, you're putting words in my mouth.
    I am making the assumption that you trying to explain your choice rationally. If you're just saying "I like what I like. Don't criticize me for it", then the discussion will be boring.

  7. #247
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Isn't it just a feeling of dominance over other men?
    No.

    Is it possible that you are projecting?

    That you have feelings of resentment, inferiority, and/or being dominated over, and thus are projecting this supposed desire for dominance onto others, even if it's not really there?

  8. #248
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Really man, life's too short.
    What sort of comment is that? This is a discussion forum. The OP presented a very valid criticism of the obsession with expensive status cars.

  9. #249
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    No.

    Is it possible that you are projecting?

    That you have feelings of resentment, inferiority, and/or being dominated over, and thus are projecting this supposed desire for dominance onto others, even if it's not really there?
    It's possible he is doing exactly as you suggest but actually, I think there may be a point to what he is saying.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #250
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What sort of comment is that? This is a discussion forum. The OP presented a very valid criticism of the obsession with expensive status cars.
    "obsession" - no
    "expensive" - hardly (some are, but not all)
    "status" - meh.

    As an INTJ, do you understand the fun that can be had with a laser pointer and polaroid lenses? A nice car is no different, it just appears to conform to the values you arbitrarily assign.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Similar Threads

  1. Losing/Breaking possessions and inferior Se
    By greenfairy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 04:46 PM
  2. [NT] NT's and Taste in Comedy
    By Didums in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 02:25 AM
  3. [INFJ] INFJs and bad taste in music.
    By MonkeyGrass in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 02:56 AM
  4. [INTJ] INTJ, Responsibility, Duty and Competency
    By InvisibleJim in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 01:20 PM
  5. [Se] Squashing upstart inferior-Se?
    By Skyward in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO