User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Member KilgoreTrout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???
    Posts
    99

    Question Something I have noticed

    I have not been a member of this forum very long and spend most of my time reading through the threads and something that has really intrigued me is the strict interpretations of each type.

    I have seen people blame an argument on Fe, Ti, etc... which strikes me as being quite odd. The way I see the MBTI (and all personality matrices) is purely a framework for understanding the baser levels of people. For instance, I am an INTP, and my type describes me quite well; however, it does not take into account the occurrences throughout my life that will make me react or think a certain way. Chalking up a conflict as merely two personality types at odds because they don't naturally get along, does a disservice to all parties, in my view.

    I look at the MBTI as a framework of my personality upon which my experiences are built and as a tool to help me identify the areas I would like to develop and better understand to become a more well-rounded person. To that effect, I also use it to try and relate to other people whom I do not readily understand. I would never use my type as a scapegoat for a conflict or bad behavior on my part by saying, "sorry I am an @$*#$, it's just my Ti coming out to play." (this is not an actual quote)

    I am not trying to make waves in any way, but I am curious to what others' thoughts are on the matter.

    (Also, this is a broad observation in all of the forums here, but since I am INTP I am posting it under the NT)
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

  2. #2
    Senior Member BlueGray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    474

    Default

    When people are talking about functional differences it is typically describing communication issues. While the base difference itself doesn't cause trouble the difficulty of understanding how someone else works or communicates can. Such issues will make interaction difficult which can lead to conflict. Part of MBTI is to understand others so that you can help solve such communication issues.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

  3. #3
    Member KilgoreTrout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    When people are talking about functional differences it is typically describing communication issues.
    That makes sense, perhaps I am just not used to seeing awareness of the source of conflict.

    Another aspect I have noticed about this forum is the curiosity (most) everyone seems to have about the other types! I am insatiably curious about the other types as well, so this makes me quite happy! Thank you for the input!
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

  4. #4
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Yep, BlueGray covered it. I've found myself more aware IRL of Fe-Fi communication differences thanks to this site. It helps me to realize it's just a difference in style and approach, rather than something more serious or sinister.
    Something Witty

  5. #5
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I have not been a member of this forum very long and spend most of my time reading through the threads and something that has really intrigued me is the strict interpretations of each type.

    I have seen people blame an argument on Fe, Ti, etc... which strikes me as being quite odd. The way I see the MBTI (and all personality matrices) is purely a framework for understanding the baser levels of people. For instance, I am an INTP, and my type describes me quite well; however, it does not take into account the occurrences throughout my life that will make me react or think a certain way. Chalking up a conflict as merely two personality types at odds because they don't naturally get along, does a disservice to all parties, in my view.

    I look at the MBTI as a framework of my personality upon which my experiences are built and as a tool to help me identify the areas I would like to develop and better understand to become a more well-rounded person. To that effect, I also use it to try and relate to other people whom I do not readily understand. I would never use my type as a scapegoat for a conflict or bad behavior on my part by saying, "sorry I am an @$*#$, it's just my Ti coming out to play." (this is not an actual quote)

    I am not trying to make waves in any way, but I am curious to what others' thoughts are on the matter.

    (Also, this is a broad observation in all of the forums here, but since I am INTP I am posting it under the NT)
    I agree with you, tho its pretty uncommon for an intp to see things holistically and to put up a demand for a big picture .

    I am personally quite allergic when differences between humans are reduced to a function antagonism. I dont know why this is so, it just feels wrong. I have two theories regarding those people. The first is and I think this applies to some people, including myself: when one comes here, he often does it out of a quest for the own self. Often it's intuitive types who are in distress and felt like weirdos in their environment. Often this has made them kinda unreflected human beings which are in clear need for some guidance because they lackj a lot of experience in understanding other people. Those people then find mbti and suddenly become master psychologists. As an intuitive you always like it when things connect, when the sum of all small parts form a whole. MBTI in that regards is specious cause it actually tells you all things can be connected. Those newly found hobby psychologists then of course become all enthusiastic about the theory and start to analyze everything in detail, even down to the single functions, just to then at some point in their life find out again that for example a difference in human communication is dependant on much more finer tunes than just a Fi-Fe explanation could ever explain.

    The second theory deals with analytical psychologists. Thgey basically treat psychology like math and will some day vanish in a deep sea with one of their last crazy ideas. It's difficult to change them in any way because most often they are so full of themselves that they lack to notice other people, but you can always smile and nod when you see one.

    Bottom line I like your general expectations towards the mbti theory very much. I think you're on a healthy way with them and wont make the theory stronger than human themselves. Sure you aint entp ? We all started as intp once
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #6
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Yea you're right. Not everybody does that though....I don't.
    You will see stuff like "I can't stand the Fi in my girlfriend", "the milk man made a Fi joke that made me spill the milk all over his face", "I hate all ENFPs" etc.

    I can't help remembering this dexter's laboratory episode, when they both had guns with stickers, to label things which are theirs. lol

  7. #7
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I can't help remembering this dexter's laboratory episode, when they both had guns with stickers, to label things which are theirs. lol
    Easily one of the best episodes

  8. #8
    ThatGirl
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I have not been a member of this forum very long and spend most of my time reading through the threads and something that has really intrigued me is the strict interpretations of each type.

    I have seen people blame an argument on Fe, Ti, etc... which strikes me as being quite odd. The way I see the MBTI (and all personality matrices) is purely a framework for understanding the baser levels of people. For instance, I am an INTP, and my type describes me quite well; however, it does not take into account the occurrences throughout my life that will make me react or think a certain way. Chalking up a conflict as merely two personality types at odds because they don't naturally get along, does a disservice to all parties, in my view.

    I look at the MBTI as a framework of my personality upon which my experiences are built and as a tool to help me identify the areas I would like to develop and better understand to become a more well-rounded person. To that effect, I also use it to try and relate to other people whom I do not readily understand. I would never use my type as a scapegoat for a conflict or bad behavior on my part by saying, "sorry I am an @$*#$, it's just my Ti coming out to play." (this is not an actual quote)

    I am not trying to make waves in any way, but I am curious to what others' thoughts are on the matter.

    (Also, this is a broad observation in all of the forums here, but since I am INTP I am posting it under the NT)
    I 100% agree.

    I think what you see happen here, is that people will eventually lock into the type bias. Like slang is still a form of English, no matter how distorted, the bias can also shed light on a different interpretation of understanding. Chunking types together happens not only by the observer, but the respondent, and therefore can be used to breech areas of miscommunication between people, or types, at odds with perception.

    Basically, it becomes a language. Like any other language, you will use it or its distorted meaning when appropriate to do so.

    That is what happens when a bunch of Ns get a hold of anything.

  9. #9
    Member KilgoreTrout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Sure you aint entp ? We all started as intp once
    I have never tested as anything other than INTP and heavily INTP at that. I have read that ENTPs are the "introverted extroverts" so I suppose it's possible! What are the main differences between the two types?

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I can't help remembering this dexter's laboratory episode, when they both had guns with stickers, to label things which are theirs. lol
    I love that show and episode! My favorite part was when their parents came home and mistook him for Dee Dee since he was wearing her label
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

  10. #10
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    INTPs can read stuff that contains more than 200 words.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] NFPs, what have you noticed is the difference between being infatuated...
    By Rebe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
  2. In 5,000 Years, We'll All Have A Nice Picnic Or Something
    By Haphazard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 04:03 AM
  3. [INFP] for INFPs, have you ever noticed
    By briochick in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
  4. [NT] I have to write something here?
    By Zoom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
  5. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO