User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    No I won't. Speak for yourself.

You're jaded and cynical. I understand that there are differences and sometimes those differences are large. But, they are not so large that two reasonable human beings cannot work through the differences in a professional manner.
    Yes, I am quite cynical but I am realistic. Success in these settings is a power struggle where promotions, etc. are based on subjective assessments of fit rather than competence and/or experience.

Remember the professor who went boinkers and shot her colleagues? She possesed competence and was really stellar in her research. They did not grant her tenure because she was perceived to be a bad fit. The department was not looking for stellar scholars; they were content with mediocrities doing meddling research.

When I interviewed at a state university, an old dean took be aside and told me: "Son, the most important thing in making tenure is your relationships with your colleagues and the chair." He told me it was important to make relationships outside of my department because such persons might end up on your tenure committee. If they don't know you well, they will base their decisions on hearsay, intuition, rumors, politics, etc.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    I disagree.

I am always eager to hear what other people have to say about my plans. Albeit, I usually seek the council of other NTs since other types may get too emotional or creative about a plan.

The totalitarian steamrollling king of the hill type of manager would be an INTJ. Whereby, the INTJs plans are not open for interpretation and any discourse would be settled with a "just shut up and do it."

I have to agree that yes, I do want things done my way - but I will always embrace other's ideas if they can offer a better way that I like.

I always foster an environment that revolves around discussion and input, however, my J "filter" will rule out only the best viable alternatives that I will incorporation into the plan.
    You're the rare TJ who has matured, probably through adverse circumstances, etc. You've were thwarted at some point from continuing to exercise totalitarian tactics, i.e. temper tantrums, yelling, hitting, etc.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JDG26 View Post
    You're the rare TJ who has matured, probably through adverse circumstances, etc. You've were thwarted at some point from continuing to exercise totalitarian tactics, i.e. temper tantrums, yelling, hitting, etc.
    STJs can be excellent leaders. The contention between Captain Sobel (INTP) and Maj. Winters (ESTJ) in Band of Brothers comes to mind.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have a question for JDG. Answer it honestly. Do you think INTP's are inherently "better people" than TJ's? That's where your viewpoints seem to stem from.

-you show support for the professor who didn't get tenure
    -you imply that MoneyTick is one of the few TJ's who have reached any level of maturity
    -you imply that TJ's are virtually incapable of veering from their original plans
    -you imply that TJ's are incapable of receiving new input and incorporating it into their plan

I know you don't see it, but it comes off severely jaded. As if you yourself have been passed up for tenure or slighted by a TJ. You, my fellow INTP, can do anything you put your mind to. You are limiting yourself and your own thinking. If a TJ (or 10 of them) have slighted you, look within to overcome that instead of blaming them for the shortcomings, whatever they may be. At the end of the day, it's nobody else's fault whether you have achieved your dreams or not. It's just not. If you see life as a game of chess and you don't carry out what you set out to do, it's not the other chess pieces who are to blame. It's your own strategy and/or maneuvers that were faulty.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

And another good point MoneyTick made, is that so often these negotiations are full of empty demands and rhetoric. And that's what I hate about them.

"We'll pay you X."
    "No, I need Y."
    "We'll give you X + 1, but not Y"
    "How about Y - 1"

There's no real substance in a discussion like that. It's just a power struggle and who is willing to give in first and you never know what the other party's breaking point is - the point in which they will say, "Just forget the whole thing. We'll look elsewhere." It's just a huge guessing game. All the more reason that pay should be based on results, I suppose.
    you need to show your value is worth more than what the minimum reqiurements are in the ad for you to have an upperhand in getting higher wages. Additional demands or clauses should ony be brought in depending on what the job position is. Like an evaluation period if you work in sales and if specific goals set in the contract are not satisfactorily met you'll go down in wages.

Personally Id not go with the asslicking even for a manager position, those kind of people lack dignity and are pathetic parasites thats usually lacks talent. If you want to advance take control of your working life, make a plan, show you want to advance by taking the neccesary courses and so on to get there. Be an asset not an asslicker.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    Be an asset not an asslicker.
    Duly noted.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ----

it seems you want the job too much to be in a truly strong negotiating position. you're not prepared to walk away. that's dangerous when negotiating with an entj - they can smell fear.

i would not advise drafting a letter with words like 'employees are a corporation's life blood' in it, as was suggested earlier. i had a ruthless prick entj boss for a while - he'd laugh his arse off at that kind of clichéd schmaltz. you need to present yourself as valuable/unique, but do it in an original, engaging way.

without knowing more about the role/sector/your experience it is difficult to provide you with new angles/leverage. any advice we provide here will be quite general and likely be things you've already considered.

good luck with your new job - it's pretty clear you're going to take his offer.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

To be honest, I did not have the patience to read through all the responses so my apologies if this has already been suggested and/or addressed.

I have been in a similar situation (although I never gave a thought to his type) and my solution after the second round of negotiation was to accept the second offer with a specific timeline of when my performance (and salary) would be reviewed. A sort of probationary period, if you will. I found this to be beneficial because:
    #1 I had a job!
    #2 I had a timeline for when I wanted to see improvement in my compensation
    #3 If my expectations were not going to be met, I had a time-frame within which I could explore other options
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

MBTI
    INTP

I have a question for JDG. Answer it honestly. Do you think INTP's are inherently "better people" than TJ's? That's where your viewpoints seem to stem from.

-you show support for the professor who didn't get tenure
    -you imply that MoneyTick is one of the few TJ's who have reached any level of maturity
    -you imply that TJ's are virtually incapable of veering from their original plans
    -you imply that TJ's are incapable of receiving new input and incorporating it into their plan

I know you don't see it, but it comes off severely jaded. As if you yourself have been passed up for tenure or slighted by a TJ. You, my fellow INTP, can do anything you put your mind to. You are limiting yourself and your own thinking. If a TJ (or 10 of them) have slighted you, look within to overcome that instead of blaming them for the shortcomings, whatever they may be. At the end of the day, it's nobody else's fault whether you have achieved your dreams or not. It's just not. If you see life as a game of chess and you don't carry out what you set out to do, it's not the other chess pieces who are to blame. It's your own strategy and/or maneuvers that were faulty.
    No, I never said that INTPs are superior; we certainly have our inherent faults. So what if I show support for the professor that did not receive tenure. It does not mean I support what she did. She has a history of mental illness. She did deserve tenure based on her research.

My comments are mainly about the dynamics between INTPs and TJs in particular. As I noted, TJs often make excellent leaders because they gain respect rather easily and they follow through. I used an example from Band of Brothers: Captain Sobel (INTP) lost his position to Maj. Winters (ESTJ) even though technically Sobel did everything "right", e.g. exhibited competence. The ESTJ overrode Sobel and indeed did turn out to be a respected and feared leader.

And, those characteristics of TJs are for the most part correct. That is why they make good leaders. General Patton is another good example. He did not listen to others even his superior officers (higher ranking generals). He came very close to getting canned several times. He had a powerful will to push his plans through.

And, I don't feel limited at all. I've always been a very independent person, which has often got me in trouble with authority figures. I did not fail to receive tenure and my prospects are excellent. I have several degrees including a PhD from Ivy League universities. Persons oriented inwards towards ideals often have a difficult time getting along with "doers" like the ESTJs. And, yes some TJs can mature just like some INTPs can mature (maybe you are one of them). This usually comes through facing very adverse situations where one is forced to come face-to-face with one's faults. I've been there. I am not a feeling person, although I understand emotion via analysis and observation.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    it seems you want the job too much to be in a truly strong negotiating position. you're not prepared to walk away. that's dangerous when negotiating with an entj - they can smell fear.

i would not advise drafting a letter with words like 'employees are a corporation's life blood' in it, as was suggested earlier. i had a ruthless prick entj boss for a while - he'd laugh his arse off at that kind of clichéd schmaltz. you need to present yourself as valuable/unique, but do it in an original, engaging way.

without knowing more about the role/sector/your experience it is difficult to provide you with new angles/leverage. any advice we provide here will be quite general and likely be things you've already considered.

good luck with your new job - it's pretty clear you're going to take his offer.
    Good analysis! It reflects what I said about ESTJs' instincts.