User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    It is definitely quantifiable. After 1 year, these new positions are either going to get cut or re-funded, based on results. He mentioned to me that, "we see this as a position that can become very rewarding down the line." I said, "Well, I understand that nobody in the organization has gotten any increase of any kind in the last 3 years (total freeze on raises of any kind) and that, most likely, it will be the same way in 2011, so I can't bank on getting an increase." His response: "You are correct about that."
    So, you're risking relocating for a job that might get cut in a year and they're offering you 17% below what you want with no near future relief but willing to pay for part of your moving expenses. You're taking some risk especially considering the attitude of your potential employer that the position isn't necessary and he's being forced into hiring. No wonder he's using hard tactics. A possibility might be that he's trying to scare off prospectives and use the inability to hire talent as the excuse not to do so.

Are you sure you really want this job?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    So, you're risking relocating for a job that might get cut in a year and they're offering you 17% below what you want with no near future relief but willing to pay for part of your moving expenses. You're taking some risk especially considering the attitude of your potential employer that the position isn't necessary and he's being forced into hiring. No wonder he's using hard tactics. A possibility might be that he's trying to scare off prospectives and use the inability to hire talent as the excuse not to do so.

Are you sure you really want this job?
    You make good points, but consider this: I actually want to relocate to this city. I'm single with no kids and I really like the place I'd be relocating to. It's in a city that has a lot of entrepreneurial things going on and people that I can work with on an entrepreneurial venture of mine. The move would be a good one, and the goal is that in 1 year, I'd be able to transition to being a business owner anways. That's all extra information, however. What I'm looking at is strictly salary right now: Can I squeeze more out of this situation? I know that nobody will have a "yes" or a "no", I just wanted to get different view points and/or insight on how employers might play the negotiating game.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    You make good points, but consider this: I actually want to relocate to this city. I'm single with no kids and I really like the place I'd be relocating to. It's in a city that has a lot of entrepreneurial things going on and people that I can work with on an entrepreneurial venture of mine. The move would be a good one, and the goal is that in 1 year, I'd be able to transition to being a business owner anways. That's all extra information, however. What I'm looking at is strictly salary right now: Can I squeeze more out of this situation? I know that nobody will have a "yes" or a "no", I just wanted to get different view points and/or insight on how employers might play the negotiating game.
    The other employees being hired within the company at the same salary as he's offering, are they taking the same amount of risk as you are? If not, this could be a negotiating point for you. He doesn't need to know the relocating city is one you want to move to.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The other employees being hired within the company at the same salary as he's offering, are they taking the same amount of risk as you are? If not, this could be a negotiating point for you. He doesn't need to know the relocating city is one you want to move to.
    I don't know them or their personal situations. And, for all I know, he's telling a tall-tale about how much they got hired at. I can't take him at his word on that. Maybe I should take him at his word, but I'm not sure I believe it because it's a relatively low number.

Decisions, decisions!

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Id not just relocate for any job. Is there opportunities for similar jobs in the area within a certain timeframe? What are the prospects for growth in the region?

Since I dont know your line of work, why dont you ask for a guarantee that its more than 1-2 years of employment if you are to accept the low salary? Its a gamble, I know but atleast you'll be secure for some years, even if its at a low salary. And as long it pays your bills....

Would you be willing to risk the loss of this job for another 8.5% increase in salary? You could work it on the angle of risk, that maybe he can go to HR and discuss the risk factor with them to see if they can meet you halfway. Out of curiosity, the moving expense thing. What percentage in relation to your requested salary did it equate to?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    Id not just relocate for any job. Is there opportunities for similar jobs in the area within a certain timeframe? What are the prospects for growth in the region?

Since I dont know your line of work, why dont you ask for a guarantee that its more than 1-2 years of employment if you are to accept the low salary? Its a gamble, I know but atleast you'll be secure for some years, even if its at a low salary. And as long it pays your bills....
    1. I want to relocate. The relocation is a non-factor in this particular scenario.
    2. I'm not too concerned if the job ends in a year. It's a job in my field of past experience that I will work until I'm in a position to transition out of it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Would you be willing to risk the loss of this job for another 8.5% increase in salary? You could work it on the angle of risk, that maybe he can go to HR and discuss the risk factor with them to see if they can meet you halfway. Out of curiosity, the moving expense thing. What percentage in relation to your requested salary did it equate to?
    I won't give a percentage of salary, but the amount is enough to rent a place to live (first month and deposit), and still have enough left over for dinner and a movie if there are any cuties in the new city.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

And yes, Metaphor, you have a good point about using that angle. I'm not sure it's a strong angle, but it's an angle nonetheless. Might have to sleep on it.

Ha ha, I was trying to get a feel for what percentage this incentive would have factored into his negotiating calculations!

Something else to consider if you're able to match your existing city to your potential city:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp

Anyways, I get the feeling you're taking this job so I'm going to wish you much luck in this.