• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Cognitive Function Results - INTPs

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There does seem to be a problem with the Fi and Ni questions.

I wonder if there is a test where the criteria for the cognitive functions are a little more balanced. I don't expect the patterns to emerge according to stacking theory, but I do think there is too much of a pattern of high Fi and low Ni.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Though I do feel my values, I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are allogical. I would say that my values are a type of logic where the root of it is human decency.
What you consider "decency" is part of your value system.
That's like saying "my values are defined by my values". Which is actually true. But it's alogical.

extraverted Feeling (Fe) * (1.8)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************************** (47.4)
excellent use

I think there's definitely a pattern of preference for Fi over Fe in INTPs.
Lol. Nice understatement.

Seriously, the questions concerning Ni make it sound really flaky and overly mystical. I don't know how anyone could strongly agree with some of those questions...
No one understand Ni. It's like quantum mechanics. Only dumber.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What you consider "decency" is part of your value system.
That's like saying "my values are defined by my values". Which is actually true. But it's alogical.

I kind of get what you're saying, but not really.

It's like, I start with something that is a value and therefore cannot be logically broken down, and then the value system is what logically follows from that principle. For example, my starting value is something like "unnecessary suffering is wrong." The rest of our views (and probably most other human's views) logically reduces to this indestructable value.

Lol. Nice understatement.

I know, right?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of get what you're saying, but not really.

It's like, I start with something that is a value and therefore cannot be logically broken down, and then the value system is what logically follows from that principle. For example, my starting value is something like "unnecessary suffering is wrong." The rest of our views (and probably most other human's views) logically reduces to this indestructable value.
So your values are internally consistent. They are still alogical (not illogical).

What is "unnecessary"? What is "suffering"? And why is it "wrong"? Logic isn't much use to you there. You can't prove the rightness or wrongness of suffering. It just is.
You aren't basing your value system on the principle of doing no harm because it's expedient or because it's a universal value, are you? You are basing it on a belief, and on the promptings of your own conscience. That is Fi.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
...the thing that annoys me the most are some of the Ni questions. They make Ni sound like some kind of magic, and I think you'd have to be a flake to actually respond strongly to them.

I prefer introversion in everything but intuition, the introverted orientation of which I don't really understand. Seriously, the questions concerning Ni make it sound really flaky and overly mystical. I don't know how anyone could strongly agree with some of those questions...

Wow... two INTPs with low Ni scores complaining about the Ni prompts... what a surprise... :rolleyes2:

No one understand Ni.

Ni is difficult to understand because of how it accesses the subconscious.

That is also why it often is associated with mystical connotations.

Of course, some people understand Ni far better than others.

And these people are almost always Ni-doms...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too bad they can't explain Ni to anyone...

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************* (43.7)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************************** (39.6)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************************** (28.2)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************** (26.2)
average use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.4)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***** (5.8)
unused

Color me shocked. This is the first time I've scored as an INFP; however, the wording of some of the questions pissed me off for being so stupid. I found it hard to be unbiased in my judgment of myself as a result. "Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen" I mean, really? This kind of question just makes me want to punch whoever came up with it in the teeth. Such poor word choice leaves me to wonder on the significance of "magical moments" and "meaningful coincidences" compared to the "as they happen" aspect.

That being said, I know myself very, very well and I'm selfish enough to be uncompromising about it hence the high Fi score (although it seems to me that this survey doesn't account for actual use of functions; just one's thoughts/feelings about them.) If anything, my Fi is based off the conclusions I've reached through Ti.

Whatever. I have a different cognitive function test's results in my signature, so you can add me to the Fi > Fe category.

EDIT: As it turns out, I lied. I apparently have scored as an INFP before...using this test. Apparently I took it on the first of last year and forgot about it. Well, here's my comparison results from a year ago.

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************************** (46.7)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.7)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.6)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.1)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.3)
average use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.6)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********* (9)
unused
I scored INFP? That's a first. You can check to see the discrepancy between this cognitive function test and another one I took which listed the functions in my sig. (I don't remember which test it was...sorry.)

I took the test just going with my first instinct on most questions because I didn't feel like taking an hour to differentiate between the semantic meaning of the questions vs. what they wanted them to mean.

Although, I will say that lately I've been giving more credence to Ne when it comes to the decision-making process.

It's funny to see I had the same complaints then and that my Ne has increased after all.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.2)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.3)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *************************************************** (51.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************ (12)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************* (19.8)
limited use

By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

:borg:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.5)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.4)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************** (35.6)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.8)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********** (11.2)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INTJ

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
My results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************** (28.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14.5)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************************* (49)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.7)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************* (49.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************** (20.1)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************** (17.7)
limited use

Suggested I'm ENTP, but should consider INTP. I'm quite sure I'm INTP - have always come up as that about 90% of the time on tests, including the official one. Man, I suck at feeling.

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
Well, it has been a while since I took something like this, so I thought it would be interesting to see my latest.

I sorted the functions by strength, so that it would be easier to see the pattern.

introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************** (44.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.1)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************** (32.9)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************* (31.9)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************* (31.7)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************* (25.8)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************** (20.6)
limited use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (19.9)
limited use

Lead (Dominant) Process

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INTJ

-----
Well, it seems my processes aren't fitting well with any model.

However, I do believe in all the cognitive process models, the relationships and relative strengths are acknowledged to be dynamic (though, I have no idea how you can make something dynamic like this testable).

As far as the Fe, Fi thing. I can see it both ways.

I do think I am more comfortable with Fi than Fe, and that the Si-Fe combo is kinda on the "other side" of things for me--like Lenore Thompson suggested.

However, I can see Fi as "trasnformative" and Fe being "aspirational"--like Linda Berens suggested.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wow... two INTPs with low Ni scores complaining about the Ni prompts... what a surprise... :rolleyes2:

I dunno, I think this test's questions are pretty flawed, too. It clearly conflates personal goals with a value system, which are vastly different things, and its Ni "prompts" (good word choice) sound like new-agey nonsense.

In fairness, though, "intuition" is supposed to be the function most closely related to the subconscious, and even professional psychologists and researchers can't arrive at a consistent definition of the subconscious; it's not surprising that attempts to describe how it manifests itself wind up ambiguous.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************* (13.2)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.5)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************** (38.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************** (27.6)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************** (35.3)
good use

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************* (13.2)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.5)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.6)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************** (38.5)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.4)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************** (27.6)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************** (35.3)
good use

Extremely confusing results like this are evidence in favor of this test being bullshit.

People take random qualitities and assign them to a function to bitch about.

Even though Nardi has empirically proved functions to be a reality via EEG, his methods (other random people included) of identification without technology seem rather weak.

ajackson17

MBTI Type
INTP
Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.6)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************************* (45.3)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************************************** (54.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************ (12.7)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****** (6.1)
unused

Lead (Dominant) Process

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Extremely confusing results like this are evidence in favor of this test being bullshit.

People take random qualitities and assign them to a function to bitch about.

Even though Nardi has empirically proved functions to be a reality via EEG, his methods (other random people included) of identification without technology seem rather weak.

Actually I'd say there's a good chance of INxJ based on these results.... the auxiliaries are a bit muddied but if I had to guess I'd say INFJ.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.6)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.1)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************************* (45.3)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************************************** (54.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************ (12.7)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****** (6.1)
unused

Lead (Dominant) Process

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

I'd say the interpretations of the results this test automatically gives isn't perfect. Yes, the closest pattern here would be INTP, but there is also a strong secondary pattern of ENTJ.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the first cognative function test I took before I know anything about MBTI:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************** (20)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38.4)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.7)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************** (44.4)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************* (13.2)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************************************** (42.2)
excellent use

Cominant: Ti 44.4
Auxilliary: Ne 38.4

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A single incidence of a "confusing result" says more about taker (or interpreter ) than test.

Even though Nardi has empirically proved functions to be a reality via EEG,
Nonsense. He has done no such thing.

ajackson17

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say the interpretations of the results this test automatically gives isn't perfect. Yes, the closest pattern here would be INTP, but there is also a strong secondary pattern of ENTJ.

No INTP would fit perfectly, I just developed those functions to better talk and get more out of people, but leadership, quick decision making and working with people and commanding them is something I don't do at all.