From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Default INTP vs. INTJ regarding the search for evidence

What are the differences between the way INTPs and INTJs approach collecting evidence to prove the existence of something? Which one would use evidence to prove a theory, and which one would use it to prove someone else's convictions? Or could it be a bit of both types?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

INTJs want closure faster, and will more likely take mental and physical short cuts to get there.

If you want the best data and conculsions, you might have to wait for it, because it will come from an INTP.

INTP/Js will both use reason, data, and the scientific method, but Js might have more of a motive of proving the hypothesis and coming up with more absolute results. Ps will more likely take in other variables as being plausible, more open to all ideas etc.

So, in a hypothetical search for truth, the team should go:

INTP
    |
    V
    INTJ + INTJ
    |
    V
    ISTJ + ISTJ + ISTJ + ISTJ

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    INTJs want closure faster, and will more likely take mental and physical short cuts to get there.

If you want the best data and conculsions, you might have to wait for it, because it will come from an INTP.

INTP/Js will both use reason, data, and the scientific method, but Js might have more of a motive of proving the hypothesis and coming up with more absolute results. Ps will more likely take in other variables as being plausible, more open to all ideas etc.

INTP
    |
    V
    INTJ + INTJ
    |
    V

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

INTJ looks for facts that work as evidence, INTP looks for reasons
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

ReflecTcelfeR

INTP's are less likely to influence the evidence. Their tendency towards precision and their lack of actually being attached to the information causes them get more accurate data, but the uncertainty that Ne causes will make it nigh impossible to get them to actually analyze data until they believe all the data has beeen obtained.

INTJ's are slightly more attached and interpret information when they receive it, but this constant interpretation will get them to an answer quicker and the tertiary function will allow them to believe that they have the right answer, giving them confidence in their research (Confidence in research is fundamental to good research).

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

This is known as INTPs being jealous of how much faster Ni works than Ti, and thinking Te is all that goes on in an INTJ's head.

This is why the INTJ should be in charge of formulating the plan of attack based on which insights, developed via brainstorming sessions with the ENTP and INTP, he/she deems the most promising.

This is why the INTP will not get the job done, unless he/she has an INTJ telling them to focus.

INTP
    |
    V
    INTJ + INTJ
    |
    V
    This is what an INTP would like, but the search would be inefficient, take too long, and lose funding.

The proper team would be:

INTJ
    | V
    | INTPs+ ENTPs
    V
    ISTJs

In addition to the above-mentioned brain-storming sessions between the INTJ, ENTP, and INTP:

The INTJ would be focused on directing and communicating between the NTPs and the ISTJs.

The NTPs would be focused on the more exploratory, ground-breaking lab work.

The ISTJs would be focused on performing the tasks deemed necessary based on the results of the NTPs' lab work, as determined by the INTJ.

The project would be focused but flexible, broad enough to check the best possible options, but detailed enough not to screw anything up.

The results would be accurate, insightful, and obtained in an efficient manner, thereby maintaining the project's funding.

INTJs are the rarest of the NTs for a reason: you need fewer chiefs than indians.

With regards to the OP: I don't think you can distinguish between an INTJ and an INTP based on those criteria...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The thing that comes to mind for me is that, IMO, INTJ's take a more proactive approach to trying to prove A, B, or C. They are forging forward and discovering new truths. They have theory A and so they set out to prove it. If they are able to prove it, then maybe it helps society or helps the situation they are in.

With INTP's, there is truth and then there is everything else. It's more of a passive approach in that we see the truth as something that is out there to be explored. We're not trying to change the truth or forge into new territory necessarily - we just want to understand truth as it is.

One reason that I think you see more INTJ's in Ph.D. programs than you do INTP's (I have no "proof" to claim this as true, but I believe it is) is because the INTJ has no problem choosing a subject they want to study and then forging forward and doing research in that area. In the process of choosing something to study the INTJ has, in essence, forsaken all the other areas of study. They can still have outside interests, but the bulk of their time will be spent in their subject.

The INTP doesn't want to (or has a hard time) choosing just one subject to explore because he wants to explore truth as a "whole". If I go get a Ph.D. in Physics, then I feel like I'm abandoning the arts, World History, Psychology, Business, Nutrition and Physical Education, spirituality, and everything else that encompasses "truth". I want to explore it all as a whole. I'm not interested in picking one of those things and making it "my own personal expertise". I want to be knowledgeable on all of it.

INTJ wants to uncover new truths in a given area - proactively advancing what we know as truth.

INTP wants to understand truth. It is what it is, we don't want to change it or manipulate it. We see it as unchangeable, and so we just want to understand it in all it's complexity.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

I always hear about the open-mindedness of INTP's, who take in "other variables as being plausible", and I've rarely experienced it myself.
    In fact, Jock and spamtar are pretty much the first INTPs both in this virtual environment and IRL who seem to fit the description.

INTJs and INTPs are just as close-minded, the difference being that INTJs tend to shower regularly.
    <- half-joke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    INTJs and INTPs are just as close-minded, the difference being that INTJs tend to shower regularly.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    INTJs are the rarest of the NTs for a reason: you need more indians than chiefs...
    That, or the type is extremely close to extinction.