User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    This is known as INTPs being jealous of how much faster Ni works than Ti, and thinking Te is all that goes on in an INTJ's head.

This is why the INTJ should be in charge of formulating the plan of attack based on which insights, developed via brainstorming sessions with the ENTP and INTP, he/she deems the most promising.

This is why the INTP will not get the job done, unless he/she has an INTJ telling them to focus.

This is what an INTP would like, but the search would be inefficient, take too long, and lose funding.

The proper team would be:

INTJ
    | V
    | INTPs+ ENTPs
    V
    ISTJs

In addition to the above-mentioned brain-storming sessions between the INTJ, ENTP, and INTP:

The INTJ would be focused on directing and communicating between the NTPs and the ISTJs.

The NTPs would be focused on the more exploratory, ground-breaking lab work.

The ISTJs would be focused on performing the tasks deemed necessary based on the results of the NTPs' lab work, as determined by the INTJ.
    This is close to how stuff works. You forgot the ENTJ above the INTJ who is managing everything, though.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Once again, I was several steps ahead of you:
    i got ahead of you by saying "no"
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    This rings true to some extent, other than the part about "They will happily set out into the scientific/academic wilderness without a notion of where they will end, content in the knowledge that the path looks interesting.". It's not that we don't have any notion where we will end up, we just honestly want the information, the data, or the research to lead us to truth - wherever that happens to end up. We realize going in that there are a number of possible outcomes to whatever research we may be doing - even outcomes we hadn't thought of yet. It would almost be like if every bit of existing evidence said that "the earth is flat". And then an NTP would set out to find the corners and/or the end of the earth, knowing all the while that it might not be flat. Maybe it's a cube, maybe it's a sphere. Maybe it's something else altogether that hasn't been proposed by anyone yet. We don't rule out *crazy* possibilities - we consider them as plausible until it's been proven otherwise. We'll set out to find the truth and we'll get to the bottom of it one way or another - even if we have to sail the 7 seas ourselves. It's basically an attitude of "forget what the experts say, I'm going to find out for myself". I'm going to go places that others haven't gone before and whatever turns up, turns up. Rather than us leading the data to where we want it to go (or where we expect it to go, or where others say it *should* go), we want the data and the information to lead us to the truth. And sometimes that goes into unexpected places and unexpected results (aka, "blue sky").
    Yeah, I probably over emphasised the point there. The important point was that INTPs criteria for selecting a topic for research are lessed bassed around pragmatic considerations.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i got ahead of you by saying "no"
    No, you thought you got ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGray View Post
    This is close to how stuff works. You forgot the ENTJ above the INTJ who is managing everything, though.

Trust me, I thought about it, but didn't want to admit it...

See INTP: some INTPs are actually smart enough to recognize and accept the truth.

Hence, why I said in that other thread why I'm pretty sure they don't want you as their spokesman.

Banned

INxJ pissing contest. How helpful to the lady who asked a serious question.

Banned

Okay, lets review the facts.

Having either extroverted thinking or introverted thinking has no additional benefit to logical deduction as the function is the same, just not the displayed attitude and the level of sharing.

Similarly having either introverted intuition or extroverted intuition has no additional benefit to forming intuitive hunches as the function is the same, just not the displayed attitude and the level of sharing.

Both types have T and N in the 'always in the conscious' function positions, dominant and secondary and both therefore have a natural preference towards this sort of activity.

The approach will be different however: The INTJ will be happy to share their discretised logical deductions on what has occured continually through the process even if they are not yet 100% confident in those deductions (Te); however, they may not reveal their internal perspective on how they are forming those conclusions until it has reached a very high level of complexity and maturity (Ni).

By contrast the INTP will be happy to share the perspective of how they think the information is patterned and what that shows even they are not yet 100% confident in those perspectives (Ne); by contrast they will not reveal their logical deductions until they have reached a very high level of complexity and maturity (Ti).

Important Caveat: Just because someone has intuition and thinking in their subconscious positions (tertiary + inferior) does not mean they don't subconsciously use those very successfully!

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yeah, I probably over emphasised the point there. The important point was that INTPs criteria for selecting a topic for research are lessed bassed around pragmatic considerations.
    Yeah, can we all admit that INTJs aren't only about pragmatism, and that INTPs aren't completely disinterested when it comes to pragmatism.

I agree that INTJs will care more about pragmatic ends and INTPs just about knowing for knowing's sake, but I think it's often overplayed that INTJs "don't care about the truth", and, likewise, I don't think INTPs don't give two shits whether their findings can benefit humanity via practical application.

We each have the sides we lean more towards, but can we admit that this construction tends to get a bit too overplayed?

I mean, from the INTJ perspective: do you think we really want the wrong answer? :rolleyes2:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    So basically the INTP is looking for evidence to show the inner mechanisms of Theory A, ... whereas INTJs look for evidence to show that Theory A is a useful tool... either to help things run more efficiently, cure a disease, etc.
    This is the core of it. Let's look at an analogy where INTP and INTJ seem to be doing the same thing, but their different perspectives lead to very different observations and conclusions.

Let's say an INTP and an INTJ are studying a wrist watch. Let's even allow them to have multiple copies so that they can take it apart or otherwise experiment and they can still get a working watch at the end of the process.

The INTP will go in, analyze the circuitry, research electrical engineering, wafer chip design, etc., and come away with a complete logical understanding of the mechanisms of the watch and how it all works together to keep track of the time.

The INTJ will go in and try to figure out how the watch works. He'll push buttons, set the time, program alarms, all with a mind to understanding the watch's functionality, what it means when it says a particular time, and what it's useful for. He might even expose it to temperature extremes to see whether it changes the rate of timekeeping compared to a control watch, or see how resistant the watch is to being under water at various depths.

In the end, the INTP knows what the watch is, far better than the INTJ. He can tell you how it was made, the underlying logic of the circuitry, and probably have several ideas for "improving" the watch, e.g., make it even more accurate than it is.

The INTJ will know what the watch does far better than the INTP. He will understand its capabilities and its limitations. He'll know that he needs to remove it if he goes swimming, because the water test failed, and that it runs about 5 seconds per month faster than an atomic clock, so after a year he'll have to wind it back one minute.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    This is the core of it. Let's look at an analogy where INTP and INTJ seem to be doing the same thing, but their different perspectives lead to very different observations and conclusions.

Let's say an INTP and an INTJ are studying a wrist watch. Let's even allow them to have multiple copies so that they can take it apart or otherwise experiment and they can still get a working watch at the end of the process.

The INTP will go in, analyze the circuitry, research electrical engineering, wafer chip design, etc., and come away with a complete logical understanding of the mechanisms of the watch and how it all works together to keep track of the time.

The INTJ will go in and try to figure out how the watch works. He'll push buttons, set the time, program alarms, all with a mind to understanding the watch's functionality, what it means when it says a particular time, and what it's useful for. He might even expose it to temperature extremes to see whether it changes the rate of timekeeping compared to a control watch, or see how resistant the watch is to being under water at various depths.

In the end, the INTP knows what the watch is, far better than the INTJ. He can tell you how it was made, the underlying logic of the circuitry, and probably have several ideas for "improving" the watch, e.g., make it even more accurate than it is.

The INTJ will know what the watch does far better than the INTP. He will understand its capabilities and its limitations. He'll know that he needs to remove it if he goes swimming, because the water test failed, and that it runs about 5 seconds per month faster than an atomic clock, so after a year he'll have to wind it back one minute.
    What I like most about this post is that it's objective. There is no hint of a personal bias or leaning towards one type being "better" than the other. It acknowledges the strengths of each type and gives credit where credit is due.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I agree with uumlau's general assessment pretty strongly.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;