User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: INTPs and always wanting to be right. Normal?

  1. #1

    Default INTPs and always wanting to be right. Normal?

    ...and I mean normal as in consistent with other INTPs, since normality is a relatively "relative" word to us

    Maybe this is just a rational thing, but I'm not sure if this applies to other INTPs specifically, but I, myself, have this admittedly bad quality of always wanting to be right in any argument, almost to a pathological sense. A recent example was flaming on the internet, but this time letting the argument run for pages after pages, even though logically, this would do nothing in the long run to help me since it goes on endlessly - I have been forum clean(besides this one) for almost a month now and feel much better.

    However, this doesn't end here, when I hear something spoken absolutely devoid of logic between friends or family, it really, and I mean REALLY bothers me enough that I more often than not, say something to them and an argument will ensue. Arguing with an ISFJ is the worst since at their worst, they have no objective criteria and cannot fight tete-et-tete in terms of abstract concepts, and end up just yelling.

    But a lot of the things that make me angry are little things like a friend's gf inferring creationists views at a dinner table and completely wanting to lay waste to them, or someone trying to size me by being pedantic about my work on purpose. Lately, I've been trying to bottle up these needs, but I think that's really unhealthy.

    Picking and choosing battles is something I am trying to relay in the coming new year, but it annoys/irritates the HELL out of me if someone is going to go around thinking they are right and insulting my intelligence.

  2. #2
    Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    I am not so obtuse as to think I am "right" in my world views for everybody else in this world. If this happened most would be unhappy. But can feel they are "right" for me; and often envision this imaginary VIP utopia where my values reign supreme.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array Oeufa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Nah, I'm happy to admit when I don't know a lot about a given topic, or when I'm wrong about something. I could be passionately arguing one point, but if someone were to point out something to me that I hadn't considered that changed my entire POV, then I'll change easily enough. Nothing's set in stone with me, and I enjoy hearing other people's opinions and experiences. If it's a piece of trivia though, and I know I'm correct, I won't back down until the other person admits they don't know what they're talking about and that I'm right.

    When it comes to religious beliefs, I'm a "live and let live" sort of person: so long as no-one's forcing their views on me I'll leave them alone. Sure, we can discuss our views if they come up in conversation, but it's perfectly possible to debate without saying, "You're wrong, and here's why..." You simply can't do that with something like religious views.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

    And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

  4. #4
    Carerra Lu Array IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    ENTP bud is very good at admitting when his view is 'wrong'. He puts a good fight for it, though, asking questions and putting spins on things that may take me back for a minute. Even when his view is corrected I feel that my view has been adjusted as well. It's a good exchange.

  5. #5
    Superwoman Array Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Nah, I'm happy to admit when I don't know a lot about a given topic, or when I'm wrong about something. I could be passionately arguing one point, but if someone were to point out something to me that I hadn't considered that changed my entire POV, then I'll change easily enough. Nothing's set in stone with me, and I enjoy hearing other people's opinions and experiences. If it's a piece of trivia though, and I know I'm correct, I won't back down until the other person admits they don't know what they're talking about and that I'm right.

    When it comes to religious beliefs, I'm a "live and let live" sort of person: so long as no-one's forcing their views on me I'll leave them alone. Sure, we can discuss our views if they come up in conversation, but it's perfectly possible to debate without saying, "You're wrong, and here's why..." You simply can't do that with something like religious views.
    This.
    Getting to the core of a problem/learning new facts is more important than winning an argument. Plus you can really take the wind out of somebody's sails when you say "Okay, you might actually have a point there/I didn't know that/will look into that, but what about x then? How would that play out?"

    Winning an argument with the help of eristic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eristic) can be fun once in a while, but it is ultimately unfulfilling and feels like cheating.
    I hate it when sincere debates turn into pissing contests. What about the process of joint discovery? The older I get the less I care about correcting or even attacking people just to pamper my own ego. That reminds me of high school student debates, not really my cup of tea. I have an almost pathological tendency to see both sides of every story. So even when I come to a conclusion (or opinion), I respect people who gave the counter arguments more weight than I did as long as they recognize the existence of my arguments.

    What bothered you about the conversation on creationism? That she contradicted your views or that she did it badyl (i.e. incoherently, using logical fallacies, etc.)? Getting a stomach ache when people use the Chewbacca defense should be normal INTP behavior. Feeling superior to the rest of the world and wanting to win an argument for the sake of winning less so, sounds rather age/hormone related to me.

    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #6
    Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    I am not so obtuse as to think I am "right" in my world views for everybody else in this world. If this happened most would be unhappy. But can feel they are "right" for me; and often envision this imaginary VIP utopia where my values reign supreme.
    Ugg INTPc just came to mind. So except for me...in my Utopia other INTPs would not be allowed except via limited invite.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array Accept's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    TRUE
    Posts
    100

    Default

    I'm not sure it's an issue about being right. Sometimes it's that the other individual is obviously wrong. The worst are the people who claim to want an answer, but will continue to add conditions when the answer isn't what they wanted to hear. What they really want is support and endorsement of an idea they refuse to surrender to facts.

    Sometimes I stick to a point because I already know the other person can provide interesting alternatives which, when they do, provides the information I may have overlooked. Yet I have found it encourages me to continue in the hope of learning more from that person. It may take a day or two to digest their ideas, but I enjoy admitting I was wrong when I've been offered new insight. It's also fun to learn another person has a different viewpoint and that neither one of us is wrong.

    "Dayna Mellanby: Don't you get tired of always being right?
    Kerr Avon: Only with the rest of you always being wrong."
    (Blake's 7)

    I've always thought Avon's response summed it up nicely since I've been asked the same thing by a number of people, except I dislike being told I'm always right - that's highly improbable and therefore, unacceptable.
    “Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.”

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    xntj
    Posts
    7,297

    Default

    My opinion is that any type can get stubborn when they believe they're right. Attack what an INTP believes to be a tested and true framework and they won't budge. Disrespect an ENTJ and look out.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    When it comes to religious beliefs, I'm a "live and let live" sort of person: so long as no-one's forcing their views on me I'll leave them alone. Sure, we can discuss our views if they come up in conversation, but it's perfectly possible to debate without saying, "You're wrong, and here's why..." You simply can't do that with something like religious views.
    I am actually very "whatever works" in regards to all religions and philosophies, but at that point it was being "forced" which I had forgot to mention. But going back to that, these are little things that bother me enough to want to correct them, even though it would mean to argue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    What bothered you about the conversation on creationism? That she contradicted your views or that she did it badyl (i.e. incoherently, using logical fallacies, etc.)? Getting a stomach ache when people use the Chewbacca defense should be normal INTP behavior. Feeling superior to the rest of the world and wanting to win an argument for the sake of winning less so, sounds rather age/hormone related to me.
    Badly, as in "I'm right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong" badly. It just irritates me when people are speaking haphazardly and irresponsibly like that. I don't want to be right so I feel superior, but to enlighten them if they are clearly talking out of their arse.

    If I personally don't know anything about a subject, I am completely open and polite on learning more about it.

  10. #10
    Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    My opinion is that any type can get stubborn when they believe they're right. Attack what an INTP believes to be a tested and true framework and they won't budge. Disrespect an ENTJ and look out.
    Although INTPs often will not budge on an frontal attack on such a frame often...such attacks nevertheless inspire the INTP to consider inefficiencies in the flanking and re-frame based on their "own" design.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Similar Threads

  1. I Don't Want to be Right
    By Vasilisa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 05:11 PM
  2. [INFP] I always wanted to be famous (infp)
    By i need attention in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
  3. I am INTP but I want to be INTJ!
    By RaptorWizard in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM
  4. [MBTItm] How you treat others and How you want to be treated?
    By IEE623 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 11:20 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Wanting to be both T and F, what made u decide which?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 12:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO