User Tag List

123 Last

Default INTP's- known to be only the friend...?

I know 3/3 INTPs' who have love problems and they are in love with thier freinds. However they never seem to get thier feelings returned and always end up being just the friend.

Is this a INTP thing? Have you, as a INTP or close, ever been in this sort of situation or know an INTP that had?

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, there is Brian from Family guy. But that could be a conincedence(sp?). Lol, I never really noticed this, it seems like a "boy next door" thing (I made that up, but its like a gender switch). It's cute but really depressing. Why can't people (INTP's) go farther than that? OR why doesnt the other side notice?
    I-83%
    N-68%
    F-68%
    J-68%

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I've had that problem myself more than once.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by lazyhappy View Post
    I know 3/3 INTPs' who have love problems and they are in love with thier freinds. However they never seem to get thier feelings returned and always end up being just the friend.

Is this a INTP thing? Have you, as a INTP or close, ever been in this sort of situation or know an INTP that had?
    Interesting. I know one female INTP who was/is in love with a friend...who now loves her back. The male INTP that I know has had love problems (i.e. divorce, cheating by HIM, etc...) but doesn't seem to have problems with feelings being returned. In fact, he cheated on me, tried to turn our relationship into a friendship, and I refused. Don't let the door hit ya! :steam: But I must say, in my opinion, it is best to love a friend that hopefully will return your feelings. If more people did that, the divorce rate would be smaller.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I dunno. I've never had strictly platonic feelings towards my INTP.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lazyhappy View Post

I don't think it's just an INTP thing. This happens to a lot of people... and especially introverts, because they often never really are as open or assertive as they need to be about their feelings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Over half the girls I meet wind up having a crush on me at some point, and I normally see it. But what usually happens is that I'm apparently, as a male, supposed to initiate anything, so while they're throwing the indicators of interest at me, I'm stuck trying to make sure that it's really an IoI. After about several months of this, they lose interest and move on then I'm usually trying to figure out what I did to cause that.

The occasional overly assertive girl, when they aren't annoying as shit, is convenient though. They seem fine with initiating everything, so I don't have to do anything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't think it's just an INTP thing. This happens to a lot of people... and especially introverts, because they often never really are as open or assertive as they need to be about their feelings.
    Yes I agree completely. I think introverts would be represented more so being stuck in the friend zone than extroverts.

Another potential cause would be the introvert's lack of reading a wide variety of social situations... and life experience in general relating to other people.

MBTI
    INTP

INTPs can't naturally act on their emotions. It makes it hard for the person you are attracted to know you feelings when you barely even know them yourself.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Could it be that it takes a long time for us to open up to other people, and thus often build up a relation with other people before we fall in love? Meanwhile the other person has learned to appreciate us as a friend.
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas