• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs (and other NTs): Do you pay attention to your physical appearance and health?

annnie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Hello all

This is something I was thinking about today and wondering if others (especially ENTPs since that is 'my' type) had any thoughts to contribute...

Are you conscious of - or pay attention to - your own physical appearance as in what you wear, hair style, make up (if relevant) etc? Reading some of the type descriptions some of them make mention of being quite 'stylish' and having a unique style and being very noticeable etc -

For me I have an 'ideal' image for clothing, hair etc that I picture that I would wish to be like - not normally conforming to what is "conventionally" fashionable etc but clearly defined in my head nevertheless. Somehow though I always end up frustrated that this 'plan' hasn't materialised and find I am buying the same old clothes (jeans, basic suits (I have to wear 'office' type clothes at work!), plain shirts etc) and get increasingly annoyed that I don't seem to be able to break out of this! Sometimes I will "implement" the idea further and buy stuff I wouldn't normally buy that fits the 'image' and then feel funny about wearing it!

Obviously I do pay attention to things like the normal personal hygiene! :newwink:

Like for going to the hairdresser, I haven't been for quite a few months and when co-workers turn up with neatly done hair etc (of course many of them are much more 'structured' than I am and make a plan and do it!) I'm always a bit annoyed and jealous - immature though it sounds - like "why didn't I think of that?" - And then I can't do something similar because someone already did that.

In fact this sense of having to be unique and noticed and not being able to "muscle in" on something someone already did applies to a lot of other things like music taste as well as physical appearance.

Without sounding like I am blowing my own trumpet - I am "reasonably" attractive and of the right sort of age (late 20s) and feel like I am wasting my 'youth' by being unattractive and so on...

I don't pay much attention to health etc either - I am a normal height and weight but don't think I am that fit or healthy as I don't eat properly etc as I just can't find the motivation to do it and always find some excuse like that I was too busy with studying (I am doing 'Distance Learning' through the open university as well as work full time) or don't have the time but this is just an excuse as I have plenty of time for working on websites, trolling on internet forums etc... :steam:

Is this a typical NT thing - to be quite neglectful of physical appearance and health? Is it 'consciously' done ("I have more lofty intellectual world dominating plans to think about") or something that happens? And how can I get over it :cry:

Annnie

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know a ENTP and hes completely nazi on this subject. Only raw fish and vegetables. Well done hair and fit. 24yrs.

I notice from the profile picture you are into psychedelics or something like that. the music from that era perhaps.
So is he. Kinda :p

rav3n

As an NT but not an ENTP, my externals are a projection of internals. Can't stand fat on me, so I try to stay fit both for mind and body although it's not to the level of being a fitness buff or cut. Healthy eating habits and fitness are great ways to get rid of stress and extra aggression caused by baby Fi and being a Te-dom.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Kinda, I do a LOT of sports, not just to get me in shape, but that is one of the reasons. I don't really watch what I eat, but I do make sure that I eat my fruit and vegetables. I have a normal personal hygiene, where I shower, and wash my hair and body, at least once a day (most days I shower more, because I've been doing sports and I'm veru sweaty). I brush my teeth twice a day (unless I get home from going out and am too drunk to bother). I go to the hairdresser regularly and I care about what clothes I dress in, though I must admit I don't have the best sense of style.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I pay more attention to it than I should.

I'm really comfortable with my body though so I don't really get very body conscious.

I do like how I feel, look, and perform :)devil:) when I'm training. :yes:

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Appearances, no

Functions, yes

Appearance only becomes functional under certain (in my case, infrequent) circumstances, but health is always relevant. Today, I sit at my desk adorned with socks and sandals, but tomorrow nobody will ever know.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
If I'm going somewhere where I wish to make a positive impression on somebody, then I pay attention to my appearance (an act that is slightly depressing now that I've lost the hair on my temples). If I'm alone, then I don't. I have noticed that my self-confidence in social situations increases greatly when I wear contacts, so I would probably be more preoccupied with my appearance if I was an extrovert. About the closest I come to paying attention to my health is periodically quitting smoking.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Of course I pay attention to general health. Probably not as much as some people in my vicinity would want me. Eg. I tend to forget to heat the kitchen before I get cooking there, and while I'm there, I just try to ignore it. Well, if I put on the heater, it will be warm at the moment I've got to leave, so why bother?

Appearance: average or slighly below average attention. Clothes shopping is an exercise in efficiency. Fashion is something invented by clothes vendors to sell more. I want simple things that are strong and don't look out-dated the next year. I like to wash (like all physicists, I love to play with water), but make-up is a chore which I only can bring up for special occasions (eg Christmas or the like). Well, I look neat and healthy and that should be enough!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I pay attention to my level of fitness, I'm a bit perfectionistic in that realm, rarely satisfacted even if my performance is pretty good. On the other hand, I don't like to think about clothes and/or spend money on them, so I just try to find a style I like and stick to it. I try to eat "healthy" but I'm not particularly obsessed. I do visit the hairdresser regularly, mostly because my hair becomes bothersome and greasy when it's long.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't at all when I was younger because I could skate by on good looks and youth.

Now that I'm older...hmm. Sorta...when I can be bothered. I'm just not very motivated to do so. It seems like too much effort for so little return (Ti at work?). Make-up is a pain...I've never learned to use it well and I seldom can find foundation to match my coloring. I will wear it maybe once or twice a year. I will put on lipstick, though because my lips have freckles on them.
I have the kind of hair where it either needs a lot of care to look well or cut down very, very low. I'm doing the 'lot of care' thing now but I'm tempted to just get rid of all over again. Having curly hair can be a real chore.

Hygiene...yes. I hate bad odors and not being clean.

Health...kinda. When it gets my attention or is about to cause a problem.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont need to. im an energy being living in internets

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think the answer would be no in my case. I play soccer occassionally with friends and I started to play Squash with my gf but if the sports aint for fun, I wouldnt do them. Just a major waste of time to go excersising or such crap.
I am normally very active during the day, so I was never overweight, when I was younger I played for 20 years soccer 3 times a week with training and such.

Me and my girl watch our eating habits very closely, we balance out the kind of stuff we eat and we only buy fresh goods, nothing like macceroni with cheese ready in 5 minutes. This tho lately just became important in my life, with age, when I was young I watched what I ate but it was no problem for me to go to days in a row to burger king. Nowadays I'ld get sick from it.

Me and my girl are still smoking what sucks but we are getting professional help in January and hopefully we'll manage to quit then

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wow there is something going on with the site layout, getting lots of non text stuff....

Anyways, yes and no....

I work out and eat reasonably healthily, score well on doctors tests and the like.

Don't cut my hair often when it's long, dye it often at times, sometimes 4 different colours in a year, but not always. can also be a total slob. Not into dressing/fashion in a traditional sense, even when I bought lots of cloths I almost always wear the things that are comfortable, and leave other stuff in the wardrobe.

I like to dress up to the 9s when going somewhere nice, and casual when not. Wash my hair twice a week, firm beleive that more than that is not good for your hair...

Monkey Slut

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No not really. As long as I'm not dying you know, I think I'm pretty well off, don't you.

That's how I see it, anyway

A

A window to the soul

Yes. I wish I didn't care, but caring ultimately allows me to feel content.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow there is something going on with the site layout, getting lots of non text stuff....

Anyways, yes and no....

I work out and eat reasonably healthily, score well on doctors tests and the like.

Don't cut my hair often when it's long, dye it often at times, sometimes 4 different colours in a year, but not always. can also be a total slob. Not into dressing/fashion in a traditional sense, even when I bought lots of cloths I almost always wear the things that are comfortable, and leave other stuff in the wardrobe.

I like to dress up to the 9s when going somewhere nice, and casual when not. Wash my hair twice a week, firm beleive that more than that is not good for your hair...

Nice teeth for a Brit :D

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs and INTJs are by definition not that aware of their physical appearance.

But obviously care about their HEALTH, because they will probably think what would happen in the future if they neglect a certain aspect of their health. But that doesn't mean they won't endlessly procrastinate solving the issue.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
My health is kind of an "all or nothing" thing for me. I'm either obsessing over it or completely neglecting it. It's crazy. I don't know how to be moderate about these things. :laugh:

As far as physical appearance goes, I usually wear a little make-up every day. Make sure my hair looks nice. Bathe every other day. Dress in whatever the hell I want (which varies from baggy sweats to nice dresses and heels). But I never seem to be able to dress appropriately for the situation. I'll wear baggy sweats to a party and a nice dress to the grocery store. :doh: