• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are you able to seperate emotions from feelings?

F

figsfiggyfigs

Can you elaborate on your definition of feelings and emotions?

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I dunno the difference in english, but in german, "Gefühle"(feelings) and "Emotionen"(emotions) mean exactly the same, so, no. Though, if you mean the feeling function of Jung, yes, I can distinguish it. But to be honest, I have quite a dislike for both.

F

figsfiggyfigs

did you mean emotions, as in the physical/visual expression of feelings?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
did you mean emotions, as in the physical/visual expression of feelings?

Thats a wrong definition of emotions. You attribute external action as to be the same as emotions, which it is not. External action is the byproduct of emotions/feelings. A common cycle most humans know of is this: cognitive thought --> emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> external action --> cognitive thought --> ...

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
I dunno the difference in english, but in german, "Gefühle"(feelings) and "Emotionen"(emotions) mean exactly the same, so, no. Though, if you mean the feeling function of Jung, yes, I can distinguish it. But to be honest, I have quite a dislike for both.

Funny that. Dislike is a feeling response, is it not?

Many negative effects on human functioning are caused by amygdalia damage. Many people say they dislike emotions and are not significantly 'driven' (I use this term loosely) by them, but that is a farce.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I AM driven by emotions quite often, but I dislike being that way.^^

And if you decided that you don't like something because it's illogical, that's imho Ti, so it's not a F-thing, or did I misunderstood that?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Gefühle = "i got a feeling that something bad is going to happen". or "i feel that this is a wrong thing to do"?

Emotionen = "you hurt my feelings"?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well the definitions in german, which are most probably applicable to english aswell, are dating back to latin. A feeling is something you feel with ur senses, like "this feels cold", "the sun is warm".
An emotion is an evaluation of a feeling, an ex-motion comes from the inner self to the outside and that is for example: "I feel awkward." "I feel cozy"

So in combination you can say: "The tea is hot (feeling), I like that (emotion)". "The lunch is cold (feeling) - that upsets me (emotion)."

The intresting thing in that regards is Jung's definition of J-types being the ones more prone to have a fixed opinion. It's not that there opinion is always an emotion, it can be just an opinion aswell, but according to theory p-types should be less prone to showing emotions. What are your thoughts ?

F

figsfiggyfigs

So I Google the definitions:

Emotion :any strong feeling; associated with mood, temperament, personality, and disposition.

Feeling seems to have a wider scope:

Feeling: experiencing of affective and emotional states; a vague idea in which some confidence is placed; a physical sensation that you experience; an intuitive understanding of something; emotional or moral sensitivity.

hmm...

Basically, do you let a feeling create an emotion? Ie. Feeling hopeless leads you to being emotionally sad, distraught, and angry...

Can you separate Emotion from feelings? It seems that the core definition of an emotion is the that it is the consequence of a feeling.

It might be very easy to hide an emotion if the feeling is there. However, if the feeling isn't there initially, there should be no emotional consequence, and vice versa. The duration and significance of impact varies upon the person.

Is it easy to detach and not feel anything from a prospective issue/person, etc ? Yes.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well the definitions in german, which are most probably applicable to english aswell, are dating back to latin. A feeling is something you feel with ur senses, like "this feels cold", "the sun is warm".
An emotion is an evaluation of a feeling, an ex-motion comes from the inner self to the outside and that is for example: "I feel awkward." "I feel cozy"

So in combination you can say: "The tea is hot (feeling), I like that (emotion)". "The lunch is cold (feeling) - that upsets me (emotion)."

But isn't there a difference in german between "das Gefühl" in the sense of an emotion or an intuition, and "das (Ab/Er)fühlen" in the sense of sensing something, like the temperature?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, the normal use of "Gefühle" is in the sense of emotion or intuition. I think you can argue about this, german is a language that has changed often and easily over the past 60 years, like today we get more and more english words in our language which are eingedeutscht, I sometimes when visiting events dont know if people who make presentations dont rather like to speak english from the start :).

I wouldnt know it's definitly hard to tell what is right, it makes logical sense to me that feeling is more the moment of touch while emotion is ones emotional reaction to it. I remember that tv advertisement by SAT1, where they said "our shows create real emotions", they didnt use the word feeling there aswell. But you're absolutelöy right, if you say you have a hunch about something or that you feel bad you normnally use the word feelings.

Hard to say, guess you can really only define emotion and feeling then is a thing that maybe gets a larger meaning in metaphoirical use in language.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Gefühle = "i got a feeling that something bad is going to happen". or "i feel that this is a wrong thing to do"?

Emotionen = "you hurt my feelings"?

Yes, I get this. I definitely seperate them because the "feeling" I get still allows me to feel calm inside, like there is no emotion attached that pertains to me getting very upset or very happy. "I feel like something is going to happen" I think is more like intuition (maybe not MBTI intuition, but more traditional intuition) and "I feel that this is the wrong thing to do" is an ethical code. What is being called emotions on the other hand is, yes, like my feelings are hurt or I am angry about this or this person makes me feel very happy.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thats a wrong definition of emotions. You attribute external action as to be the same as emotions, which it is not. External action is the byproduct of emotions/feelings. A common cycle most humans know of is this: cognitive thought --> emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> external action --> cognitive thought --> ...

I've always perceived it as this:

emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> cognitive thought --> external action --> emotional response -->

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can experience an emotion and still remain analytical of the situation. When upset I can say that i know the feeling is not rational and can make choices despite what I am experiencing. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily switch off the emotion, but I still function as though it wasn't there. It's almost annoying to have quite a bit of emotional pain tolerance because I know I can go through with whatever is necessary. Even rather extreme emotions don't end up justifying the easy way out for me unless the longer term benefit outweighs the shorter term - unless I judge that accommodating the emotion will have longer term benefit.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
aha didnt understand a word, sounded like my math book :D

T

ThatGirl

I've always perceived it as this:

emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> cognitive thought --> external action --> emotional response -->

Cool, I would put it like this.

Emotional feeling ---> External Analysis ---> Cognitive Thought ---> Physical Response ---> External Cognitive Action