User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well the definitions in german, which are most probably applicable to english aswell, are dating back to latin. A feeling is something you feel with ur senses, like "this feels cold", "the sun is warm".
    An emotion is an evaluation of a feeling, an ex-motion comes from the inner self to the outside and that is for example: "I feel awkward." "I feel cozy"

So in combination you can say: "The tea is hot (feeling), I like that (emotion)". "The lunch is cold (feeling) - that upsets me (emotion)."

The intresting thing in that regards is Jung's definition of J-types being the ones more prone to have a fixed opinion. It's not that there opinion is always an emotion, it can be just an opinion aswell, but according to theory p-types should be less prone to showing emotions. What are your thoughts ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

figsfiggyfigs

So I Google the definitions:

Emotion :any strong feeling; associated with mood, temperament, personality, and disposition.

Feeling seems to have a wider scope:

Feeling: experiencing of affective and emotional states; a vague idea in which some confidence is placed; a physical sensation that you experience; an intuitive understanding of something; emotional or moral sensitivity.

hmm...

Basically, do you let a feeling create an emotion? Ie. Feeling hopeless leads you to being emotionally sad, distraught, and angry...

Can you separate Emotion from feelings? It seems that the core definition of an emotion is the that it is the consequence of a feeling.

It might be very easy to hide an emotion if the feeling is there. However, if the feeling isn't there initially, there should be no emotional consequence, and vice versa. The duration and significance of impact varies upon the person.

Is it easy to detach and not feel anything from a prospective issue/person, etc ? Yes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Well the definitions in german, which are most probably applicable to english aswell, are dating back to latin. A feeling is something you feel with ur senses, like "this feels cold", "the sun is warm".
    An emotion is an evaluation of a feeling, an ex-motion comes from the inner self to the outside and that is for example: "I feel awkward." "I feel cozy"

So in combination you can say: "The tea is hot (feeling), I like that (emotion)". "The lunch is cold (feeling) - that upsets me (emotion)."
    But isn't there a difference in german between "das Gefühl" in the sense of an emotion or an intuition, and "das (Ab/Er)fühlen" in the sense of sensing something, like the temperature?
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes, the normal use of "Gefühle" is in the sense of emotion or intuition. I think you can argue about this, german is a language that has changed often and easily over the past 60 years, like today we get more and more english words in our language which are eingedeutscht, I sometimes when visiting events dont know if people who make presentations dont rather like to speak english from the start .

I wouldnt know it's definitly hard to tell what is right, it makes logical sense to me that feeling is more the moment of touch while emotion is ones emotional reaction to it. I remember that tv advertisement by SAT1, where they said "our shows create real emotions", they didnt use the word feeling there aswell. But you're absolutelöy right, if you say you have a hunch about something or that you feel bad you normnally use the word feelings.

Hard to say, guess you can really only define emotion and feeling then is a thing that maybe gets a larger meaning in metaphoirical use in language.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Gefühle = "i got a feeling that something bad is going to happen". or "i feel that this is a wrong thing to do"?

Emotionen = "you hurt my feelings"?
    Yes, I get this. I definitely seperate them because the "feeling" I get still allows me to feel calm inside, like there is no emotion attached that pertains to me getting very upset or very happy. "I feel like something is going to happen" I think is more like intuition (maybe not MBTI intuition, but more traditional intuition) and "I feel that this is the wrong thing to do" is an ethical code. What is being called emotions on the other hand is, yes, like my feelings are hurt or I am angry about this or this person makes me feel very happy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    Thats a wrong definition of emotions. You attribute external action as to be the same as emotions, which it is not. External action is the byproduct of emotions/feelings. A common cycle most humans know of is this: cognitive thought --> emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> external action --> cognitive thought --> ...
    I've always perceived it as this:

emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> cognitive thought --> external action --> emotional response -->

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can experience an emotion and still remain analytical of the situation. When upset I can say that i know the feeling is not rational and can make choices despite what I am experiencing. Unfortunately that doesn't necessarily switch off the emotion, but I still function as though it wasn't there. It's almost annoying to have quite a bit of emotional pain tolerance because I know I can go through with whatever is necessary. Even rather extreme emotions don't end up justifying the easy way out for me unless the longer term benefit outweighs the shorter term - unless I judge that accommodating the emotion will have longer term benefit.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

aha didnt understand a word, sounded like my math book

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post

emotional response --> physical response (low/high energy levels) --> cognitive thought --> external action --> emotional response -->
    Cool, I would put it like this.

Emotional feeling ---> External Analysis ---> Cognitive Thought ---> Physical Response ---> External Cognitive Action

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post

why?