User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Talking on the phone

I loathe speaking on the phone. Chatting to friends is fine, but anything remotely official or formal is extremely off-putting. I'd call it a phobia but it's more like an aversion - if I can avoid it I will. For instance, I need to make a phone call this evening but I'm putting it off. I've actually worked out in my head how the dialogue needs to go and gone over it a couple of times. The funny thing is the call itself will only be 60-90 seconds max

So, is this an I thing? An INTP thing? A non-type related thing? What are your thoughts?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

I do the exact same thing. I have a set formula for different conversation topics.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I once had anxiety about just the thought of it for a while. But have had period of regular longass convos with SOs in the past. And it feels natural. So there's some hope for INTPs. Just not ISTJs.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I don't like calling people, mostly because I have a really difficult time understanding what people are saying. Friends and people I've heard their voices before in real life I'm comfortable with, even calling for take-out, but if I have to call customer service for something or am calling to retrieve information, I actually have to write down what to say and try and have another person interpret what they're saying on the other line for me. (I don't completely misunderstand what they're saying, but it's just extremely difficult for me to pick up certain things)

Maybe I'm INTP...or maybe it's not a type thing. I'm going with the latter.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I dislike it, too. And seek to avoid it. I will put off doing business by phone or try to go around it by looking for a website or something "Do I have to call?" It's never as bad as I make it out to be when it's over, either...but it doesn't keep me from running the same thing all over again on the next round.

There are a few people I will talk to over the phone because they dislike writing as communication...a friend and my oldest sister immediately come to mind (ESTJ and ENTJ respectively--they hate texting and email).

MBTI
    INTP

I figured it probably wasn't a type thing but it did seem likely that Is would be more likely to try to avoid it . I still haven't made that call yet, but my excuse is because my phone credit's running low and the landline is occupied at the moment . Once the phone's free I'll make the call.

Bleh. Hate this twisty, knotted feeling in my stomach beforehand!
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    INTP

I hope one day to have a secretary do these calls for me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I once had anxiety about just the thought of it for a while. But have had period of regular longass convos with SOs in the past. And it feels natural. So there's some hope for INTPs. Just not ISTJs.
    Personal calls are fine with me. I just hate calling up anyone about anything non-personal. Like customer services. Or this woman I've to ring tonight to sort out a job .

I dislike it, too. And seek to avoid it. I will put off doing business by phone or try to go around it by looking for a website or something "Do I have to call?" It's never as bad as I make it out to be when it's over, either...but it doesn't keep me from running the same thing all over again on the next round.
    Ah, this is exactly what I'm talking about!
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I hate the phone, b/c whenever you are on it you are never actually where you are.

You might be walking downtown, but the only thing you care about is clicking your thumbs on a screen, or talking to someone who isn't there.

Life is to short to spend it somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    I loathe speaking on the phone. Chatting to friends is fine, but anything remotely official or formal is extremely off-putting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Personal calls are fine with me. I just hate calling up anyone about anything non-personal. Like customer services. Or this woman I've to ring tonight to sort out a job .
    It's odd. I loathe the phone too, but my anxiety is with personal calls, not with formal or business calls. I know what I want to say with business calls, and when the business is transacted the call is over. With personal calls, the other person always seems to have a reservoir of things to talk about and I find myself grasping for things to say before long. It's just not a mode of communication I do well with.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari