User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

It's probably an introvert thing, though Tawanda's case is probably related to auditory or neurological issues rather than type. you should get that checked out babe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    I loathe speaking on the phone. Chatting to friends is fine, but anything remotely official or formal is extremely off-putting. I'd call it a phobia but it's more like an aversion - if I can avoid it I will. For instance, I need to make a phone call this evening but I'm putting it off. I've actually worked out in my head how the dialogue needs to go and gone over it a couple of times. The funny thing is the call itself will only be 60-90 seconds max
    I'm much better with it now, but typically I hate the commitment of being on the phone. I rarely talk to my best friends on the phone, I just feel a lot of pressure sometimes when someone calls and don't know how to extract myself. This is accompanied by actually enjoying the phone conversation immensely sometimes and having a really good time... but I know I'm going to lose an hour or two I wasn't prepared to lose unless i feel like I have some rational reason to cut it short. Totally mixed feelings on the topic of phone calls, sigh...

With talking to strangers, I used to have to rehearse the entire phone call a few times so as to not freak from anxiety and not knowing what to say.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned

I can relate. So can my sister (ISFP) and my brother (ISTJ).

MBTI
    INTJ

Not a type thing. Introvert thing probably. Like Jennifer and someone else mentioned, personal phone calls, especially with a SO really bother me. It's not so much the actual call, but the thought of the call. The call usually ends up being fine. Mind over matter thing I guess.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's odd. I loathe the phone too, but my anxiety is with personal calls, not with formal or business calls. I know what I want to say with business calls, and when the business is transacted the call is over. With personal calls, the other person always seems to have a reservoir of things to talk about and I find myself grasping for things to say before long. It's just not a mode of communication I do well with.
    Yes, I'm this way with personal calls as well - I rarely talk to my friends on the phone, it's almost exclusively email. Actually the same could be said for my current relationship - we primarily email and I think we've had only 4 or 5 actual conversations on the phone in the span of 6 months. (this doesn't include quick 'I'll be there in 2 minutes' calls) That's more to do with the fact that neither or us really 'need' to talk on the phone - everything can be done via email or else we talk about stuff when we actually get together.

But even with business-related calls, I just don't care for it. I mean, once I'm on the phone, it's fine -- it's just there's quite a bit of anxiety / postponing going into it prior to the call. And yes, to the OP, I will definitely have some sort of script already worked out - or at the least the basic bullet points that I need to address written down or thought of.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ

I told the current girl I'm seeing I'd rather text and see you in person than to talk on the phone. I might get a bluetooth so it frees my hands and I can talk while doing other stuff.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's odd. I loathe the phone too, but my anxiety is with personal calls, not with formal or business calls. I know what I want to say with business calls, and when the business is transacted the call is over. With personal calls, the other person always seems to have a reservoir of things to talk about and I find myself grasping for things to say before long. It's just not a mode of communication I do well with.
    I'm the same way. Talking on the phone is pretty much completely unnatural for me when it comes to personal interaction. Other than talking to close family (with whom in-person conversations aren't realistic due to distance, etc.), I don't talk on the phone much at all. The phone has the dual negatives of lacking nonverbal cues *and* being "real-time" (where you can't really think out your responses completely ahead of time). It's just not a good platform for interpersonal communication, especially for folks like me who have trouble with that anyway. If there's someone I want to talk to for which there's not another option, it'll do -- but if there are any alternatives, I'd prefer them.

Business calls are better (as there's no expectation of chit-chat), although those horrible robot-answering menu-messager things ("Please listen to all of the available options, as they have recently changed") are simply *vile*. They're basically always configured to not even bother disguising the fact that they just want to frustrate you into giving up instead of getting actual help .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I hate phones too. Don't know if it is really so much type-related, but at this MBTI workshop where I was once it was said to be very typical for Introverted types. Sadly in this workshop group I was one of only two self-typed I's, but we both were very clearly on the same side on this

Written communication and talking in person is great, but phones are just horrible. Thankfully (or well, maybe not) I don't get too many calls though.

MBTI
    INTP

Well I finally made the call after putting it off for about 5 hours. It was grand, but I still hate using the phone .
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Well I finally made the call after putting it off for about 5 hours. It was grand, but I still hate using the phone .
    Ha--I just finished taking care of some business, too. Hated it.

As far as the personal calls go, the few people that call know that I'm unlikely to answer the phone and to leave a message or call back immediately if it's an emergency. Talking on the phone just seems so...disengaged. It's hard for me to focus and I often forget important topics or questions that I want to discuss.