123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Default How to stop procrastinating?

How do you stop procrastinating? This is a issue with me.
    The MBTI types me as an INFP, however, SOCIONICS calls me an Logical Intuitive Extram (called an ENTj in our terms.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Ahem, ...not sure if you´ve come to the right place to ask this - most come here to procrastinate, I think.

Ask some of the Te doms, they seem have nailed it. On the other hand there might be one or two atypical fellow INTPs who have overcome that widespread problem and might be able to share some insight. It seems to be quite common with Ti users.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

We INTPs need to be interested and excited in order not to procrastinate. Make whatever your task is interesting in some way, or promise yourself a reward when you're done. I'm really bad for procrastination as well, and these don't always work, but it's worth a shot eh?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    N>JI

Procrastinate your procrastinating ..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Seriously now, as a freelancer with constant deadlines to be kept I have some experience with the issue.
    Personally I need a certain pressure to get going when it is a task that doesn´t really interest me. So I calculate how many pages I can do in how many hours and plan my work schedule accordingly...just in time.

Another possibility is to try and find an interesting side to what it is you´re doing. I enjoy translating diverse texts, but very often its the nth version of the same type of contract with little or no research necessary so that the only possibility to keep this interesting is watching out for how balanced the contract is or to vividly imagine the part of the world the transaction takes place (easy when they mention the Caymans or Curacao!). This is a probably what Oeufa meant.

Rewards only work if you have the discipline to keep to your schedule and you are doing simple tasks like cleaning the house. When you are doing more challenging work, motivational studies have shown that playfulness and freedom at work are more effective than the stick-and-carrot method. I guess they distract or produce unneccessary pressure in many people. It would be interesting to see how far this can be applied in the private arena.

And try to have regular breaks! I had to learn the hard way that it is smarter to have a break when your battery reaches yellow and get it back to green instead of going all the way to red an then having to continue work with yellow indefinitely until you find the time to completely recharge some other day. It´s easy to forget to eat and rest when you are involved in your project.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'm having trouble with the same thing, although my procrastination leads me to getting a full night's sleep. Once I get started on something I just do it until it's done...it's getting started that's the hardest part. I don't care enough.

Some things that have helped me before include killing all distractions except one (the TV...I need to listen to people talking/singing or I can't focus). Do you know anything that helps you focus at all, or anything that you've noticed distracts you to procrastinate?

Also, taking small breaks is good. Try to set little goals as well, like for writing a paper, say 'oh, I'll write x amount, and then I'll do something for x amount of time as a reward'.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

My problem is that I need to write. I get so excited by the flow of ideas that I pace around and cannot write. Worse, I sometimes get so excited that I think outloud. I think my neighbors can hear me eloquently explaining stuff. I then procrastinate the actual transmission of the thoughtflow into a workflow. I get really tired when I write my ideas. (Not when posting, but when making it a composition.) I need to write, not pace. How?
    The MBTI types me as an INFP, however, SOCIONICS calls me an Logical Intuitive Extram (called an ENTj in our terms.)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Hero View Post
    How do you stop procrastinating? This is a issue with me.
    Procrastination is one of the small pleasures of life.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I envision the end result and hold myself accountable for the results. This motivates me into action.

However, obviously this only works for things I care about. So this means that I still procrastinate on mundane/pointless activities, such as doing homework that's worth only 5% of my grade or ironing. I'd rather just buy clothes that didn't need to be ironed in the first place.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

The real question is "Why stop procrastinating?".