User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Procrastinating is a symptom of a mentally fit brain.
    c'mon, c'mon you...fill those xxxx's in with "I" "N" "T" "P".
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    c'mon, c'mon you...fill those xxxx's in with "I" "N" "T" "P".
    Doubt it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm increasingly having problems with this. I get so overwhelmed by the details of the task before me. So if I set a deadline and then break the task down into its smallest steps, I can do a very little bit at a time and still know that I am progressing toward my goal in good time. For example, before I bake Christmas cookies, I have to review the recipes, make the grocery list, buy the supplies, clean the oven, clean the kitchen, (everything has to be spotless) get the equipment together (cookie scoop, measuring spoons/cups, mixing bowls, mixer, sifter, etc.). If I set the deadline right, I have plenty of time to do each little step without any pressure and without feeling that it's all too much, and eventually I get it finished.

Plan so you take the pressure off yourself and then chip away at it, in other words.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Hero View Post
    I think I have it upon the answer. I went to a friends facebook page and saw that he was friends with my ex-gf. I hate that ugly bitch. Ugly as my big toe. SHE IS GOING TO GET HER MASTERS DEGREE IN @)!! 2011. Fuck that bitch. I have to get to work. I cannot delay. The dishonor she brings to me is overwhelming.
    This anger! Use it!

I haven't been able to conquer procrastination yet but I find listening to battle music (such as soundtracks from epic movies or music like E.S Posthumus') very helpful. I get into a "zone" in which there are only the battle, my sword/dagger and I.

Good luck, Nameless Hero!

Banned
    Enneagram
    5w4

Procrastination can be loosely defined as the deference of action. Importantly, it can arise where one has to perform mechanical and mind-wearying tasks that do not conduce to intellectual satiation but may instead be the product of an obligation or part of some longer-term set of goals. Or, another common reason for procrastination is that the task is highly precision-based and requires a full allocation of mental resources to perform effectively, in which case a person might put it off to continue collecting information and suchlike. From the point of view of completeness, these reasons are not exhaustive, although they give scope to this discussion. Now, let us break procrastination down still further, since a sensible prognosis follows from a good diagnoses. Let us say that prima facie there are things the body declines to do and things the mind declines to do. (Note the artificiality in this distinction, but we can work with it to get the result we want). As an example, while the mind and spirit of a person may want to go for a ten mile run, the body might object and a person will put it off. Alternatively, a person may want to sit and commit case law to memory but the mind will wander. Naturally, the body is easier to discipline and instruct than the mind since there is no supreme suprarational faculty beyond reason to dictate that reason needs to follow this rather than that. Nevertheless, if we know this is how things work, we can use the body to control the mind and the mind the body by setting small concrete goals. If, for example, one finds one's self reading the same line over and over and thinking about what one is going to do on the weekend or a recent conversation one had with someone, one can resolve to write notes initially so that the act of physical engagement helps induce the mind into a rhythm consistent with what is physically happening. On the other hand, if it is a physical activity that is being procrastinated over, one can do little things to stimulate the interest needed to kickstart their engagement--let us call these props, which can be buying a new pair of sneakers to give an incentive to run. Essentially, it is for the human, all to human person to use these things and it is only with mastery that one learns to direct themselves at any object without any props. Generally intellectual props are more cost-effective than consumer props, but consumer props preferrable to incompletion of duties or procrastination to the point of suboptimal performance levels. So these props and learn from them but note that the true hallmark of inventiveness is the ability to do more with less.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm increasingly having problems with this. I get so overwhelmed by the details of the task before me. So if I set a deadline and then break the task down into its smallest steps, I can do a very little bit at a time and still know that I am progressing toward my goal in good time. For example, before I bake Christmas cookies, I have to review the recipes, make the grocery list, buy the supplies, clean the oven, clean the kitchen, (everything has to be spotless) get the equipment together (cookie scoop, measuring spoons/cups, mixing bowls, mixer, sifter, etc.). If I set the deadline right, I have plenty of time to do each little step without any pressure and without feeling that it's all too much, and eventually I get it finished.

Plan so you take the pressure off yourself and then chip away at it, in other words.
    I think about all the things that needs to be done and I end up buying those christmas cookies, it's always easier that way.

Even deadlines couldn't help me stop procrastinating. story of my life sigh

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by metasapiens View Post

Procrastinate your procrastinating
    This is they key right here. Procrastination is inevitable, especially for certain types... just trick yourself into procrastinating on what you were going to procrastinate with.

Easier said then done, I know...