User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default INTP and schizoid personality disorder

person (not even close too) said I have schizoid. Do you guys get this often? WHy can't they get that personality type and personality disorder is two different things

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's not just you. I think that people - especially women - who are strong Fs get called "histrionic" or even bipolar (when they aren't actually bipolar ). TJs probably get called narcissistic the most. ExTPs? ADD! All INTJs are aspies (or at least avoidant personality disorder...) and I guess INTPs get stuck with schizoid.

Here's the deal, we were talking about this in vent the other night, and yes I do think personality types can look abnormal to other personality types, and in some cases it's totally unfair and ignorant. I've learned a great deal in the past year and a half or so about my own personality type and those who are different from me.

But there are people who take these traits to an unhealthy extreme. Sometimes it's not even "unhealthy" it's more like "immature" or "imbalanced."

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

well I have been diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder. But personally I could have been entp in jungian terms and still get the same diagnosis. Type and disorders have very little in common, if any, in my oppinion. Atleast coorelation between type and disorders can only be done on a suggestive basis and cant universally be specific. Not all intps are alike, as are other types not alike. While some people of different personality types seem to be more alike than other people of ones suggested type.

But then again, do you think this person have enough knowledge to suggest that specific disorder to be something you have? If not, dont be bothered.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Enneagram 5s inhabit the Schizoid personality when they're really off the deep end.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as I don't think SPD is considered a real disorder anymore. Personally, don't think it ever was. Family and friends have brought it up with me before but I never gave it much concern. If anything I always found the suggestion complimentary.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

I received a Pop Psych diagnosis of Shizoid Personality Disorder from an acquaintance who fancied herself master of the human condition. After doing some research into the "disorder," a few of the points seemed to match my personality but it was very misstated. I hope this is no longer a valid diagnosis within the DSM IV. I was quite amused when I read a portion of the Wikipedia entry that said INTPs are often tied to SPD.

Although psychology as a subject fascinates me, I have a very difficult time putting stock in much beyond verifiable psychological disorders e.g. schizophrenia, dissociative, etc... SPD and all of the similar categories the field of Psychology has mapped out strike me as people authoring these theories with no real understanding or appreciation for the nuances of the human brain/consciousness.
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

Enneagram
    9w8

This sounds like when a 5 retreats to one's Batcave for a long period of time for solitude and it's taken as somehow... off. Disassociative, or somesuch. Odd.

But unhealthy forms of personality types (as Marm mentioned) aside, if anyone told me I was schizoid because I love to spend a lot of time alone or due to the fact that emotional attachments can fade with ease in certain circumstances I'd tell them to shove a rainbow up their butt. (Because they are therefore being silly, not because I would be offended.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

"Those people who have SPD are happiest when they are in a relationship in which the partner places few emotional or intimate demands on them, as it is not people as such that they want to avoid, but both negative and positive emotions, emotional intimacy, and self disclosure.[10]

This means that it is possible for schizoid individuals to form relationships with others based on intellectual, physical, familial, occupational, or recreational activities as long as these modes of relating do not require or force the need for emotional intimacy, which the individual will reject.

Donald Winnicott sums up the schizoid need to modulate emotional interaction with others with his comment that schizoid individuals "prefer to make relationships on their own terms and not in terms of the impulses of other people,"[11] and that if they cannot do so, they prefer isolation."

Ah...I see...if behavior similar to this is common in INTx and E5 it's pretty clear to me why some other types would find it abnormal, frustrating, even hurtful.

But it's no different than how INTx are scared away by "histrionic" displays of emotion.

After reading this I am that much more convinced this is probably most frequently a simple misunderstanding between personality types.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    It's not just you. I think that people - especially women - who are strong Fs get called "histrionic" or even bipolar (when they aren't actually bipolar ). TJs probably get called narcissistic the most. ExTPs? ADD! All INTJs are aspies (or at least avoidant personality disorder...) and I guess INTPs get stuck with schizoid.
    "
    I have a TJ friend who is EXTREMELY narcissistic, and it's gotten worse throughout the years, of course for him it's cool. Few people recover from narcissism, as they don't really see it as an issue.

Anyway, I'm always talking something else lol.

Every type has it's 'thing'.

The person who said that you have schizoid personality disorder is not a doctor, but may like to play doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by think2much View Post
    WHy can't they get that personality type and personality disorder is two different things
    Personality type is not legit, especially not mbti. Mental disorder is. That's the main difference.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Personality type is not legit, especially not mbti. Mental disorder is. That's the main difference.
    Oh sure, people aren't different, they're just diseased. Let's say that everyone who isn't like us, or who doesn't fit in the pre-determined societal box "crazy."

Mental illness surely is a very real and difficult thing. However, I find that there is a trend in our society to want to call EVERYTHING a freaking disorder. I'm not sure how legit I believe that is.