• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP and schizoid personality disorder

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
person (not even close too) said I have schizoid. Do you guys get this often? WHy can't they get that personality type and personality disorder is two different things

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's not just you. I think that people - especially women - who are strong Fs get called "histrionic" or even bipolar (when they aren't actually bipolar :dry:). TJs probably get called narcissistic the most. ExTPs? ADD! All INTJs are aspies (or at least avoidant personality disorder...) and I guess INTPs get stuck with schizoid.

Here's the deal, we were talking about this in vent the other night, and yes I do think personality types can look abnormal to other personality types, and in some cases it's totally unfair and ignorant. I've learned a great deal in the past year and a half or so about my own personality type and those who are different from me.

But there are people who take these traits to an unhealthy extreme. Sometimes it's not even "unhealthy" it's more like "immature" or "imbalanced."

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
well I have been diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder. But personally I could have been entp in jungian terms and still get the same diagnosis. Type and disorders have very little in common, if any, in my oppinion. Atleast coorelation between type and disorders can only be done on a suggestive basis and cant universally be specific. Not all intps are alike, as are other types not alike. While some people of different personality types seem to be more alike than other people of ones suggested type.

But then again, do you think this person have enough knowledge to suggest that specific disorder to be something you have? If not, dont be bothered.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Enneagram 5s inhabit the Schizoid personality when they're really off the deep end.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as I don't think SPD is considered a real disorder anymore. Personally, don't think it ever was. Family and friends have brought it up with me before but I never gave it much concern. If anything I always found the suggestion complimentary.

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I received a Pop Psych diagnosis of Shizoid Personality Disorder from an acquaintance who fancied herself master of the human condition. After doing some research into the "disorder," a few of the points seemed to match my personality but it was very misstated. I hope this is no longer a valid diagnosis within the DSM IV. I was quite amused when I read a portion of the Wikipedia entry that said INTPs are often tied to SPD. :laugh:

Although psychology as a subject fascinates me, I have a very difficult time putting stock in much beyond verifiable psychological disorders e.g. schizophrenia, dissociative, etc... SPD and all of the similar categories the field of Psychology has mapped out strike me as people authoring these theories with no real understanding or appreciation for the nuances of the human brain/consciousness.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
This sounds like when a 5 retreats to one's Batcave for a long period of time for solitude and it's taken as somehow... off. Disassociative, or somesuch. Odd.

But unhealthy forms of personality types (as Marm mentioned) aside, if anyone told me I was schizoid because I love to spend a lot of time alone or due to the fact that emotional attachments can fade with ease in certain circumstances I'd tell them to shove a rainbow up their butt. :coffee: (Because they are therefore being silly, not because I would be offended.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Those people who have SPD are happiest when they are in a relationship in which the partner places few emotional or intimate demands on them, as it is not people as such that they want to avoid, but both negative and positive emotions, emotional intimacy, and self disclosure.[10]

This means that it is possible for schizoid individuals to form relationships with others based on intellectual, physical, familial, occupational, or recreational activities as long as these modes of relating do not require or force the need for emotional intimacy, which the individual will reject.

Donald Winnicott sums up the schizoid need to modulate emotional interaction with others with his comment that schizoid individuals "prefer to make relationships on their own terms and not in terms of the impulses of other people,"[11] and that if they cannot do so, they prefer isolation."

Ah...I see...if behavior similar to this is common in INTx and E5 it's pretty clear to me why some other types would find it abnormal, frustrating, even hurtful.

But it's no different than how INTx are scared away by "histrionic" displays of emotion.

After reading this I am that much more convinced this is probably most frequently a simple misunderstanding between personality types.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's not just you. I think that people - especially women - who are strong Fs get called "histrionic" or even bipolar (when they aren't actually bipolar :dry:). TJs probably get called narcissistic the most. ExTPs? ADD! All INTJs are aspies (or at least avoidant personality disorder...) and I guess INTPs get stuck with schizoid.
"

I have a TJ friend who is EXTREMELY narcissistic, and it's gotten worse throughout the years, of course for him it's cool. Few people recover from narcissism, as they don't really see it as an issue.

Anyway, I'm always talking something else lol.

Every type has it's 'thing'.

The person who said that you have schizoid personality disorder is not a doctor, but may like to play doctor.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personality type is not legit, especially not mbti. Mental disorder is. That's the main difference.

Oh sure, people aren't different, they're just diseased. Let's say that everyone who isn't like us, or who doesn't fit in the pre-determined societal box "crazy."

Mental illness surely is a very real and difficult thing. However, I find that there is a trend in our society to want to call EVERYTHING a freaking disorder. I'm not sure how legit I believe that is.

sleepy

Oh sure, people aren't different, they're just diseased. Let's say that everyone who isn't like us, or who doesn't fit in the pre-determined societal box "crazy."

Mental illness surely is a very real and difficult thing. However, I find that there is a trend in our society to want to call EVERYTHING a freaking disorder. I'm not sure how legit I believe that is.
If you want welfare, you won't get far by claiming an mbti type.

I'm not sure they are all bad these descriptive disorders. As long as one gets paid for it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you want welfare, you won't get far by claiming an mbti type.

I'm not sure they are all bad these descriptive disorders. As long as one gets paid for it.

Generally the only people who get "welfare" are those too mentally ill to work for at least a year. That means that many low income people with real mental illness such as bipolar disorder are decidedly not on welfare. I don't know of anyone with a personality disorder who is on welfare sheerly because of his or her personality disorder.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

sleepy

Generally the only people who get "welfare" are those too mentally ill to work for at least a year. That means that many low income people with real mental illness such as bipolar disorder are decidedly not on welfare. I don't know of anyone with a personality disorder who is on welfare.
I do, several. Works great. Not so much stress. This is in Europe.

But you are right. If you can medicate the disorder. I suppose you have to do work to get benefits. So a bit of luck/unluck. As I do think it sucks to be drugged down if you're only different. And for an E, it may suck to sit home all day. Not included. But for some this can work out really well, as a security net.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do, several. Works great. Not so much stress. This is in Europe, so my be different from US.

But you are right. If you can medicate the disorder. You may have to do work to get benefits. So maybe a bit of luck/unluck. As I do think it sucks to be drugged down if you're only different. And for an E, it may suck to sit home all day. But for some this can work out really well, as a security net.

Yeah, this is the U.S. and in order to get any sort of real assistance you basically have to be drooling or talking to imaginary friends.

sleepy

Yeah, this is the U.S. and in order to get any sort of real assistance you basically have to be drooling or talking to imaginary friends.
You don't get much assistance here either. But if convincing enough. One does get money. I don't think they want people on the streets. So a bit of win-win there.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP is the loner of all loners, so I guess it makes sense that so many of them go Schizoid.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP is the loner of all loners, so I guess it makes sense that so many of them go Schizoid.

Yes, how pleasant it is to dwell in the unity of one's own thoughts!

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

i think in general INTJs tend to be more loners than INTPs