• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] I'd like some input from Ti users.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think all lifeframe belief sets are that way (whether we're talking religion, or psychology, or whatever.) And at best, they are just facets or windows -- isolated and focused views of a complex entity (life) in order to be able to dig more deeply in that isolated/narrower framework. They are viewpoints. But because of that, they don't encompass all truth, just part of it -- like a facet of the gem is a truthful part of the gem, but it does not represent the whole gem, and you need to see all the facets to get a real sense of the true makeup and reality of the gem.

Therapy typically is determined based on what the patient is dealing is with and the personality style of the patient.

Ok I think I generalized, some therapists are full of BS, not the therapy itself, not the theory, because these theories are the best interpretations/solutions people came up with to fix certain issues.
But the people, not that's the issue. I get the impression that therapists avoid saying I don't know, hell you can always add nobody knows why...and it will sound better.
However I found a good, rational one, so I sticked with her, and she helped a lot. But till I found her I ran into a lot of BS from others.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just came back from mine a few hours ago. He told me to stop overthinking and overanalyzing, to consciously slow down my mental processes so as to not wear out my batteries.."You talk too fast because you think so fast. Talk slower so you force yourself to think slower to give yourself a break ... When you face a problem you immediately consider so many aspects it paralyzes you. Think simpler and slower to avoid falling into the same thought patterns and control your thoughts an behavior." So much for Ti being a big help!

The problem is implementing those strategies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok I think I generalized, some therapists are full of BS, not the therapy itself, not the theory, because these theories are the best interpretations/solutions people came up with to fix certain issues.
But the people, not that's the issue. I get the impression that therapists avoid saying I don't know, hell you can always add nobody knows why...and it will sound better. However I found a good, rational one, so I sticked with her, and she helped a lot. But till I found her I ran into a lot of BS from others.

It depends on the therapist. There's hacks in every profession, there's also a lot of hacks writing books with their own pet theories, and saying "I don't know" I think is actually the sign of an honest person. My good therapists actually were just open-ended, didn't pretend to know all truth, and just asked me lots of questions and helped me find my own way.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just came back from mine a few hours ago. He told me to stop overthinking and overanalyzing, to consciously slow down my mental processes so as to not wear out my batteries.."You talk too fast because you think so fast. Talk slower so you force yourself to think slower to give yourself a break ... When you face a problem you immediately consider so many aspects it paralyzes you. Think simpler and slower to avoid falling into the same thought patterns and control your thoughts an behavior." So much for Ti being a big help!

The problem is implementing those strategies.

Yea they tell me the same thing, you think too much, you analyze too much. I feel good when I think a lot and analyze a lot, I guess there's a difference between thinking/analyzing and ruminating or whatever it's called, thinking about something to relieve you of anxiety. But what am I supposed to do? Watch tv and think about nothing? Be entertained into not thinking?

My therapist told me to meditate to take me to a wonderful non thinking mode. I never did that. Why would I do that?! That's BS. 'stop thinking and enjoy life'.

I guess all functions can malfunction. Ti gets very obsessive. It's nice to talk to someone who's going trough similar things.

PS: you should watch: In Treatment, it's a very interesting TV show.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
These posts sound all too familiar. When I went to a marriage counselor earlier this year, I was basically told the same thing.
"You're thinking about this too much. Reading too much into this. You just need to focus on your husband's needs so he won't cheat again. He misses his girlfriend." I told her she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about and that if I couldn't fully understand what the issue/problem was, how was I just supposed to 'fix' anything. And when I stopped thinking, stopped analyzing and did something that I didn't fully understand is when I usually screwed myself.

She almost got herself hurt.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the problem with Ti types is not that we think too much--it's that sometimes when the Ti is turned upon ourselves, we come up with the wrong conclusions. We can't see ourselves accurately, and we can interpret something that happens to us incorrectly, and then use that errant information to create an inaccurate model, if that makes sense. I also can sometimes negatively predict my way out of trying things that would possibly bring me joy. So much for being smart. :p

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don´t think anybody suggests that the solution is to turn into a zombie. The trick is to use your natural tendency towards detached analysis to recognize certain cognitive patterns and consciously steer away from them. So it´s not "think less" but "think better/healthier". Slowing down can only be a temporary aid in learning to do that, not and end in itself.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I hear that, Redbone!

Also, I think I'd have punched her after, "He misses his girlfriend."

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the problem with Ti types is not that we think too much--it's that sometimes when the Ti is turned upon ourselves, we come up with the wrong conclusions. We can't see ourselves accurately, and we can interpret something that happens to us incorrectly, and then use that errant information to create an inaccurate model, if that makes sense. I also can sometimes negatively predict my way out of trying things that would possibly bring me joy. So much for being smart. :p

This. Now get out of my head!

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

Exactly. I think this is why it's important to use Ne (or Se) to keep all data inputs open rather than closing them prematurely like Ti often tends to do. This is how I escaped my own little world.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exactly. I think this is why it's important to use Ne (or Se) to keep all data inputs open rather than closing them prematurely like Ti often tends to do. This is how I escaped my own little world.

This is why I'm so eager to ask questions...to bounce my theories off of someone else. I'm using the answers/more information to think better...shape my thinking and conclusions. Of course, this often backfires in the form of, "Why are you asking me these questions? You think too much!" :rolleyes2:

Tallulah, I didn't want to hurt my hands and I didn't have a bat...preferably an aluminum one. So she got away unscathed. :biggrin:
Besides some um, colorful words letting her know she wasn't listening to a damn thing I said. :steam: