• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, Do You Have An Art Form?

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Had a paint brush hit me in the head out of the blue the other day, and like Emit Brown's own knock on the noggin, I came to a brilliant realization...INTPs are Si tertiaries...you will find them socially in the art world.

:wubbie: Artists girls that are deep...seeeexy. :drool:

It's been a long time since I helped curate a gallery in college; recently, my boss and I decided to go that same route, and we're in the process of turning our small office into an art gallery (dark curtains, lighting and all). Also realized I might have a talent for artist management...seriously considering doing so for a few friends of mine. The funny thing is, apart from my desire for hawt paint covered lovin', I never really considered my interest in the art world anywhere near my interest in finding my mate. Always kind of thought it just went hand in hand for my secret 4 desire to be a city-dweller, with their cool coffee-house-in-the-wall culture, and their fashionable clothes that nobody in the 'burbs would ever consider wearing.

:shrug: Happy thoughts.

So tell me INTPs, do you have an art form? Your body only counts if you have the model shots to prove it. ;)

--Fuzzy

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You confuse me. INTP's are mostly male.

I have no arts, just maths.

Paintings usually mean nothing. Just visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called red, green, blue and others.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You confuse me. INTP's are mostly male.

mostly, but go to INTPc to find more, and there's some an INTPforum as well.

I have no arts, just maths. Paintings usually mean nothing. Just visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called red, green, blue and others.

That's kind of boring.

I think within INTPs, there are two basic groups -- those who have aesthetic sensibilities (typically your more N based ones) and those who are more rationalist (the T based ones). It might also fall along the lines of the 5w4's versus the 5w6's.

I like evocative art. I don't care whether it's visual, audial, spatial, or kinetic -- either it resonates and evokes intangibles, or it does not. And what evokes intangibles is stuff that seems reflective of some large Real Pattern in the universe. it captures stuff on a big picture level. So we're talking mood, ambiance, feeling, big picture modeling, whatever. Moving away from the more humanistic and into the physical models of the world, we're talking dance and especially martial arts and other forms of pure physical movement that captures the very spatial laws of physics, etc.

As far as personal modes of expression, I use music (piano, mostly), writing, visual art (photoshoping and cartooning).

KDude

Lately, I've been entertaining the idea that I'm INTP (and I'm somewhat of an artist.. more of a musician), but that aside, I think the 5w4s might be more commonly artists. Seems like others might be a bit too sequential in their thinking. Even as someone who types as Ti, I don't express myself that way, be it in speech or creativity (that could be an S thing, I dunno). Not that being highly technical prevents one from being artistic, but it seems like those types are likened to some virtuoso in a symphony who could blow away people with their skills, but may have a harder time just improvising something or having fun with a simple jam session.

edit: Or, what Jen said.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I can look at things I've written, said, or done and say to myself that under certain circumstances they would be hailed as great, innovative works. All words though, hardly distinct and strewn amongst a lot of unremarkable statements and poorly refined attempts to appear poetic or intellectual.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mostly, but go to INTPc to find more, and there's some an INTPforum as well.

I know they exist. It's just weird that the OP makes a sudden connection of artistic INTP's to females. I mean, what? incorrect hidden implications!

That's kind of boring.

I think within INTPs, there are two basic groups -- those who have aesthetic sensibilities (typically your more N based ones) and those who are more rationalist (the T based ones). It might also fall along the lines of the 5w4's versus the 5w6's.

I like evocative art. I don't care whether it's visual, audial, spatial, or kinetic -- either it resonates and evokes intangibles, or it does not. And what evokes intangibles is stuff that seems reflective of some large Real Pattern in the universe. it captures stuff on a big picture level. So we're talking mood, ambiance, feeling, big picture modeling, whatever. Moving away from the more humanistic and into the physical models of the world, we're talking dance and especially martial arts and other forms of pure physical movement that captures the very spatial laws of physics, etc.

Well, I like objects(such as melodic sound) that has a strong relationships that exists outside of itself. It could relate to another fact or it could be by itself a symbolic occurrence. I.E. I'm not boring, I just like "objects" with meaning.

And it doesn't make sense to have "N INTP's" and "T INTP's". INTP's are restricted to being Dom Ti therefore all should be "T INTPs".

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Still, one would hope there is room for some sub-categorization. Being Ti dominant is one thing, but one could still analyze a group of INTPs and see that some are aesthetic-oriented to a greater degree than others.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still, one would hope there is room for some sub-categorization. Being Ti dominant is one thing, but one could still analyze a group of INTPs and see that some are aesthetic-oriented to a greater degree than others.

Yes. But none should prefer their N over their T. If you really like to slash with your sword and you like to slash with your axe, you will still use your sword over your axe. Therefore, there is no way that N could surpass T by a large margin.

I mean, Where is "T" in art? I can see N. But this is completely ignoring the limit.

KDude

I just sent a rep on this to Jen, but I think socionics explains more than MBTI (depending on the source at least). It lines up with her idea that perceiver subtypes tend to be more holistic or aesthetes.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Imagination art, often surreal or fantasy/science-fiction/twilight zone related. Kinda like performance art that nobody can see. Daydream theater. Sometimes are writings indicate whether we are a performing imagination artist or no.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know they exist. It's just weird that the OP makes a sudden connection of artistic INTP's to females. I mean, what? incorrect hidden implications!

Incorrect! You misunderstood my intention...perhaps I need to make myself more clear.

My intention: To find an INTP female in my area, for study, and possibly study. ;)

My hypothesis: Based on the INTP Si tertiary being, according to certain theories, a "tension release valve" in the personality, I postulate that it is very possible INTP women may be attracted to artistic endeavors, from music to painting, photography, and the like. INTP men may be drawn to these activities as well, I am not saying they wouldn't fit the same model, I'm just not looking for INTP men.

My purpose with the OP: To find data that would either support or refute my hypothesis above.

[/end justification]

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like to sing karaoke. I don't know about INTPs but I do notice a lot of introvert wallflowers taking to the stage this way and shining (or at least imaging themselves as shining).

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm a singer/songwriter/pianist. Music is a very important part of my life. I also write (not just songs and poems, mainly short stories, actually).

I have a huge appreciation for art in terms of beauty. Aesthetics is kind of my thing. Beauty, though, being an entirely subject term, I tend to find rather strange things beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. I'm not a huge fan of performance art, but occasionally I'll find myself completely awed by a performance of some kind, usually dance.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Incorrect! You misunderstood my intention...perhaps I need to make myself more clear.

My intention: To find an INTP female in my area, for study, and possibly study. ;)

My hypothesis: Based on the INTP Si tertiary being, according to certain theories, a "tension release valve" in the personality, I postulate that it is very possible INTP women may be attracted to artistic endeavors, from music to painting, photography, and the like. INTP men may be drawn to these activities as well, I am not saying they wouldn't fit the same model, I'm just not looking for INTP men.

My purpose with the OP: To find data that would either support or refute my hypothesis above.

[/end justification]

So, we all have to assume that all your threads has something to do with your interest in females?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
click on my signature

+ i started playing bass some time ago. i dont like to learn songs that other people made, i make up my own stuff and play that

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So, we all have to assume that all your threads has something to do with your interest in females?

:yes: NOW he's catching on. :applauds:

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Aaaah so this thread has as much to do with the INTP's art appreciation as it has to do with creation? Interesting.

Obviously, as a musician I love to create music. Not only creating unique pieces (mostly on piano, I don't tend to get creative with the flute much :( ) but adapting other people's work to fit my current state of mind. This can be through listening to recordings of songs and taking lyrics out of context to describe my current state, or it can be very hands on where I play the piece in a variety of ways until it gels with my mood (in this way, the same piece can often sound vastly different depending on the day).

From an "outsider" point of view, I am very appreciative of the aesthetics of things. I love "good" photography for instance. A well-taken photograph can definitely engage my interest in a very real way. I also love observing different types of architecture and internal design. And, of course, nature itself has enormous scope for pleasing my eye. Animals fascinate me on a visual level.

I don't care much for theatre tbh, but I love literature and can literally get lost in a book so much that even during my day-to-day business I find myself still mentally immersed in that world and its characters. My mind can stay this way for up to a week after I've finished the book in question (I've found this lasts way longer when I'm already familiar with the world of the book. Therefore stand alone novels don't always do it for me, but authors like Terry Pratchet, Raymond E Feist and Trudi Canavan who write multiple series in the same world capture my interest in a huge way). Total book worm.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:yes: NOW he's catching on. :applauds:

Romance isn't the only focus of the world. In fact, you should grow away from it. It's just your biology manipulating you.