User Tag List

123 Last

Default Fe use in INTPs?

How do Fe usage in INTPs manifest?

Do INTPs use Fe on a regular basis?

I'm mostly thinking about the belonging to a group aspect, and speak(validly or not) for the whole group.

As a whole, not often, but depending on how much pressure an INTP feels to "fit in" (ie., how strong their fear of being perceived as being weird and different is) the more they will use it. Fe is by definition conformist because it puts emphasis on group values and helps keep a bit of that N weirdness at bay. XD

Obviously everyone is an individual and you can't speak for a group, but on average people tend not to like to use their inferior much. It drains a lot of energy after all, and we tend not to be proficient at it. Some types seem to be more loath to do it than others, however, and INTP's seem (in my experience) to be one of them. Most of them take an intensely logical approach to things and more immature one's see values based decision making as inherently inferior. INTP's why attempt to silence their F completely may force their subconscious to use a strange coping mechanism where Fe forcing itself to the top by masquerading as "logic". Usually this manifests itself negatively, because it is a reaction to an unhealthy situation (you see T-doms do this when they make an obviously illogical argument to justify a petty, personal vendetta). It's never a good idea to suppress the inferior.

Short answer: no, not generally, but I don't believe it's ever a good idea to speak for a group as large as an MB type. We all develop very differently.

MBTI
    INTP

It depends a lot on upbringing and life experience. The combination of those two things for me meant that I ended up with high Fe for an INTP. My mom is super Fe aware, so she would always point out how my actions or words affected others, and she made me attuned to the hospitality end of things. I think feeling kind of socially clueless as a kid and teen made me study group dynamics and learn to fine-tune my senses to be aware of what was expected. The last thing I wanted was to be a socially inept nerd--which still pains me to see in other INTPs.

For me, it manifests in wanting group harmony and compromise. I like for people to think before they say something that might hurt others' feelings. I like for them to think about how their actions or words affect others. I don't have a lot of natural patience for people acting first, seeing the negative social consequences, and then apologizing later. I take people's feelings into account in real life--probably more than most of my other friends do--but I don't like indulging people's private emotions and preferences if they haven't considered that they might need to also compromise for the good of the group overall. I don't mind being questioned if the person questioning is respectful in their approach. I don't know how much of this is Fe. :-P
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What Tallulah said perfectly sums up my usage of Fe.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Here's what I think:

3 modes + 1 Constant(sort of):

3 modes:

1. Ignored Fe. (e.g. direct, brash, stoic, apathetic) (-_-)
    2. Clumsy Fe. (e.g. "murmur humor", awkward, unrelaxed) (^_^)"
    3. Normal Fe.

Constant(sort of):

1. Face

"Do INTPs use Fe on a regular basis?"

With an inferior Fe? I suspect most of INTP's at most time will be on mode #1.

Depending on growth, INTP will be more of one of three modes.

Why constant(sort of) Face? Well "mandate of T" means stern faced.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i dont really use Fe to fit into a group. i dont like to fake myself so that anyone would like me, if some group doesent like me as i am, i simply dont belong to that group and thats totally fine with me. i do tend to not reveal some parts of myself to a group at first if the group can offer stimulation for my other parts.

Fe to me is more about caring for others and helping them, usually helping them with my Ti Ne(since thats what i do best), and Fe serves more as a reason to help, not helping with Fe. i might do little things like for example(first little thing that came to my head) my friend made food and left it to kitchen for a while because it was too hot to eat yet and went to his room, i was in kitchen for few mins doing something and when i left i mixed his food so that it would get colder faster. also since my friend is retard on spicing food, i helped him to put spices in it. also when he had severe mental issues(schizophrenic ocd) i was there for him and helped him to get over it as much as i could. i found it really rewarding when i managed to help him go over a line on a floor, when earlier he always got stuck on them, sometimes even for like 5 minutes.

people with good Fe say that it helps them to read peoples emotions well, personally i cant rely on what Fe says to me about this. i think Fe helps me to see them, but i dont feel like i can rely on it in weird way, it feels more like a suggestion that it might be like this and i start to think it over with Ti Ne Si. but if its someone i know well, then i might be able to trust this Fe hunch because i got Si Ne to help me with it.

jung wrote about empathetic thinking versus abstract thinking. empathetic thinking is defined as unconscious perception of what other is feeling and generating kind of simulation(mental frame) that the empathetic person is putting himself into, thus consciously feeling what the other is feeling. smells like Fi here. abstract thinking is unconsciously feeling what the other is feeling and trying to consciously find ways to help the other person. abstract thinking is what generates sympathy and thats linked more to Fe.

i use the abstract type of thinking, but im able to consciously create this mental frame of what other person is feeling by using Ti and feeling it myself, creating kind of false empathy. or dunno if it can be called false empathy, but its not generated empathetic thinking, but still does the same job on creating empathy. i get quite high score on Fi, but i think its really just my high Ti working together with my Fe. i dunno how much of it is actual Fe, but tests say that my Fe is pretty much unused, but Fi is in good use, i have started to doubt that its Fi that im using that much.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

ReflecTcelfeR

I enjoy how INTP put it. It's not that Fe is used to help people, but a motive towards helping someone. That way it can be used healthily(?) and effectively, also giving us a reason to use our main functions, the only drawback is realizing when Fe is giving you a proper motive.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I don't think Inferior Fe is necessarily the "moral compass". It could be for some people, but I'm thinking Ti can lead to the similar conclusions regarding values of morality. I.e. "This is what's objectively right." I think Fe is more of a "utility function". A way of manipulation others in order to obtain something. Fe is Ti's tool in people-relationships.

MBTI
    INTP

My Fe tends to come out more as an appreciation of tact. It recognizes the demand that certain information must be imparted, but nevertheless insists that there is a blunt and hurtful way to go about it, and a more considerate way. So it serves as a kind of damage control for Ti. The whole "fitting into the group" or "maintaining harmony" is not so much the reason behind as a recognition that I do have to maintain at least cordial relations with people, and this is one of the best ways to do it. It can be annoying, as I really dislike asking people do things, even if I know they are would be perfectly willing.
    "Those are my principles and if you don't like them......well, I have others"

-Groucho Marx

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- Frederich Nietzsche

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    A way of manipulation others in order to obtain something. Fe is Ti's tool in people-relationships.
    That may come off to some as unbalanced though. Howeva, as an inferior this is probably the most common usage of it.