User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Are you kidding? There is no way I can tell a convincing lie. I gave up years ago. Just don't know how to get it right.

Even when I'm fooling around with my husband he can always tell if I'm not telling the truth.

It hasn't been all bad not being able to get by with telling lies. Pretty much forces me to only do stuff I don't have to try to lie about later.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

My step-brother is a very intelligent ISTP and growing up he was a pathological liar. (He had a lot of issues, particularly once his father died when we were teenagers. Analyze that as you will.) Our parents were very worried about him and took him to see a shrink... By the third visit the shrink trusted him enough to let him take his PC home (with his patient's personal files on it!) to "fix it" for him since he was computer savvy. :sigh:

My brother talked himself out of jail, out of tickets, out of parental punishment, out of "pressed charges" when he stole laptops from a company he interned at, into women's pants, into my parent's buying him a second car before loaning me money for my first --the list is un-fucking-believable.

Little sister however (moi), was his Achilles' heel. He had a VERY hard time lying to me successfully and as a result, he has avoided me at most junctures and still does; it makes me very sad. I don't know why he decided to start lying so much to begin with, but the fact that he was so successful at it is what has persuaded him to continue doing it I think. I watched him deceive so many people, but none more so than himself. I'd have given anything to let him or our parents wear my INFJ x-ray goggles for one effing day. It mighta' changed his life for the better.
    Last edited by iwakar; 02-14-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP

I think sisters, in general, can do that, Iwakar. Sounds like my own kids. My ENFP daughter understands my IXTP son way better than I ever will. Too bad he had to distance himself from you. Just goes to show that not everyone who avoids you does it because they don't like you. Sometimes it's fear.

He has grown into a brutally honest human being but wasn't always so. Always in trouble with authority and every lie he told to get out of a situation just get him in deeper. So he finally learned from that.

Part of his problem when he was little was that he had quite a bit of difficulty determining what was "real" and what was not. TV and films confused him. I think that played a part in his dishonesty but I can't say exactly why.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ

I can lie my face off and often do so in social situations where it's a white lie. For example, if you have a new haircut I find hideous, I will look you in the eye and convince you I find it fab (I've never seen the point in telling someone who can't go back that their new hair/shoes/etc. look like crap - besides, it's my opinion only and it might be wrong). I can also lie to people I don't know or who I don't like. I *can* lie to loved ones, but choose not to, because it's not a good thing to do.

Re: the above, my sister can read me like a book (and vice-versa). She would be the most difficult person to lie to.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

I think estps are most prone to lieing as needed as they lack the big picture perspective to see how the lie will come back and bite them in the ass that the entp has. That global picture is what keeps you entps honest.

I would guess that an estp can lie to most folks convincingly but will have a hard time with Ns. An enfp can lie well if they feel it is for the greater good. an entp can just lie, and do it well.

MBTI
    INxJ

Good liars need to be logical and aware of all past and present information. Also, any future situations that might arise. I find feelers in general, less capable of doing it well, and even NTs. STs, might retain every little detail necessary for executing it the most effectively.

As for best body language, I don't know.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think the best liars need some amount of social and emotional intelligence. Lying is a form of social manipulation, after all, so my vote goes to ENFJs. But when it comes to constructing the pure logic of a lie, NTs would win. So perhaps it would depend on the situation.

MBTI
    INFP

Also would require good control over one's voice and body language. Implying either repression of emotion or strong emotional control.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Also would require good control over one's voice and body language. Implying either repression of emotion or strong emotional control.
    What about types that don't exude either, to any impressionable degree?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    But when it comes to constructing the pure logic of a lie, NTs would win. So perhaps it would depend on the situation.
    Eh, I think it's too easy for an NT to miss important details. Especially stuff about physical surroundings, or what such and such looked like. Or what so and so was wearing.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness