User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    He was all excited about this thing he learned at work on an inservice school day (he's a teacher) about "Islands of Competency" and got all inspired about it; he wanted all his students and us kids to realize our true selves. So, in a long car ride, we talked all about it. He told me some of his, how he discovered them along the way in life. He told me that if we know our strengths we can use them for the benefit of others.
    Then came my turn, and he asked, "Usehername, what's your greatest Island of Competency?" And apparently I very nonchalantly replied, "I'm a phenomenal liar." I was just being honest; I perceived it as my greatest Island of Competency.

And he said a little part of him died inside. lol. poor NF daddy.
    ... I love you.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm a decent liar. Never been caught in a lie except by my mom. And I'm even better at telling when people are lying, although I don't know how I do it most of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

I'm a horrible liar when I know I am lying. The guilt is too much to bear, and it comes through.

I have been known to make false statements that I believe are true, however. If the audience doesn't know better, they often believe I have these things on good authority. But even then, if I find out I misinformed, it hurts.

I am however an excellent rationalizer.

If I tasted something that was horrible and I was required to convince someone else to drink it....

I would say to myself (and to the person who needs to be convinced), that taste is rather subjective, and this one in particular is definitely an interesting taste--one they will miss out on if they don't try it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    If I tasted something that was horrible and I was required to convince someone else to drink it....

I would say to myself (and to the person who needs to be convinced), that taste is rather subjective, and this one in particular is definitely an interesting taste--one they will miss out on if they don't try it.
    I am usually very cunning in this aspect, as I would find it hilarious to see their reaction. I will even go to the point to drink it myself, and act as if it was extremely tasty, just to get them to drink it.

Sadistic?...yes.
    Funny?...extremely.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    I am usually very cunning in this aspect, as I would find it hilarious to see their reaction. I will even go to the point to drink it myself, and act as if it was extremely tasty, just to get them to drink it.

Sadistic?...yes.
    Funny?...extremely.
    I can't fake my reactions that way.

I would probably taste it, make the usual face I would make when I taste something that nasty, then laugh and say:

"Yeah. Definitely interesting. You'll have to try it," and hope it is weird enough to pique the target's curiosity to the point that (s)he will try it himself/herself.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Sadistic?...yes.
    Funny?...extremely.
    I'm good at face-control. I can do nasty things (such as eating mushrooms) and still seem calm. I'd just drink it and try to make myself think that I just drank chicken soup (Mmmmmm...), then suggest that they drink it
    I: 78% N: 88% T: 66% J: 44%
    Enneagram: The Reformer/The Investigator
    Global 5:RCOEI

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
    Whenever my mother caught me lying, I'd get in trouble, understandably, but what amuses me is that out of the few times she caught me (believe me, I used to do this every day until High School workload really gets to me and I don't even need to lie), she thought she can read me like a book and that she would 'always' know when I'm lying.

That's exactly how my mom is. I find it hilarious that she thinks I'm such a horrible liar, when in fact I lie flawlessly. Haha

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I lie very well to avoid - when the little white lies are short and sweet and vague and I can quickly slip around something without the other person realising so I don't have to face it just yet. It won't exist, so you can't ask me anything about it. That sort of thing I do well.

But if it's prolonged, too complex or it's possibly hurting someone, I fail. Because as soon as it ends up under scrutiny I blush, or something else that totally gives me away. Plus it feels horrible to have a lie found out, so that doesn't help with lying in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So that, coupled with my ability to poker-face things I say if necessary, allow me to obfuscate very well when I want to or need to.

The thing is that I really do not like to lie. I don't like to utter mistruth. I like to be honest and open. So the worst I usually do is allow ambiguity to exist in a situation where I am afraid someone will try to restrict/control me if I tell them too much.
    My INTP friend is just like this. She will very rarely lie outright - she'll avoid, or be ambiguous, or turn the subject around so it's not on her - all that she does very, very well to conceal the truth.

If you ask her something point-blank, and refuse to let her slip past you, she'll grudgingly tell the truth.

And then make you feel bad for prying it so painstakingly out of her.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I am absolutely horrible at lying.

I am ridiculously good at telling the truth in a way to make them interpret it incorrectly, in my favor.

I am ridiculously bad at telling the truth when I want them to intepret the truth for what it is.

I'm also ridiculously bad about telling the truth when I get caught breaking the law, so in situations when I well told lie would save me a lot of hassle, I wind up with handcuffs :*(

Riva

First, I will start by saying that the xNTxs that I know and work with on a daily basis are generally the most forthright and honest people. However, I have noticed that they also tend to be the most cunning liars when they choose to do so, and they are almost without flaw.

xNFx- They can be just as convincing as xNTxs, however, generally only if they are doing so to help someone, or if they believe that someone has violated them somehow. Otherwise they are seemingly less adept at this.

xSxJ- Often the less decisive will be fooled, however, they often provide too much information. This usually leads more intuitive people to notice the inconsistencies in the proposed "facts".

xSxP- Most of the xSxPs I know are terrible liars. (Not that that's a bad thing by any means) ESTPs, if unquestioned, can be extremely persuasive. Once you begin to question them they have a very hard time maintaining the facade.

I think that the key to lying in this sense is the ability to think quickly and be able to "paint a believable picture". It's my observation that sensing types tend to be at a disadvantage in this arena.

This is more of an observation on my behalf of those that I encounter on a regular basis, and not entire types' demographic in general. It is very possible an erroneous conclusion, however, it seems to hold true more often than not.

Let me know what you think/have observed, as I am interested to hear it.
    everyone keeps on making NFs sound like angels. i better find one and marry one

about NTs lying i think you are right. i myself is a good liar and i know a lot of NTs who are just like me.especially the ENTs.