• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] are you intjs able to create music spontaneously in your heads?

Usehername

On a mission
im starting to doubt if its possible to make music with him, unless i write the guitars..

how do you compose music? do you just play(with instrument or simulate sounds in your head as if you were playing the instrument) what comes to your mind and write the good parts down? or how?

Lots of professional, academy award winning actors despise improv because it's not their method. Don't be a music snob, you're just an improv guy and your friend is not (or not yet). It doesn't mean he can't compose any more than the academy award winning actors who hate improv can't act.

I ditched music for varsity sports in high school, so I haven't done a lot of focused composition.

Piano: I tend to hear a (very basic) melody in my head, and then piece by piece add layers on top or below it.

Guitar: I can add basic-to-moderately difficult chords to almost anything, but guitar is an easy instrument to get reasonably competent at because there's less thinking involved compared to a piano.

Trombone: I can basically add to any music with it improving, because you can only play one note at a time, and it doesn't get any easier than that.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm able to — not much more than hooks, phrases or leitmotif, but I've preserved ideas that remain wholly mental for years. I can also produce an Eb spontaneously, and find other notes via interval, though that's more of a party trick.

What I find most interesting is my ability to, using the definition provided on the first page, "audiate" musical recordings and film sound sequences with fidelity that I've determined others lack.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lots of professional, academy award winning actors despise improv because it's not their method. Don't be a music snob, you're just an improv guy and your friend is not (or not yet). It doesn't mean he can't compose any more than the academy award winning actors who hate improv can't act.

he said that he cant write anything. i asked when he might be able to do this, he said that he needs to learn all chords etc, learn to play other peoples songs and then he can start thinking of being able to compose music. so its not really being an improv music snob thing

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nah, I think it's just a matter of talent and time, not personality type, in this case.