User Tag List

123 Last

Default INTPs and Grammar

Thread split from here.

A plethora of grammatical errors
    Tolerate I think I cannot
    I howl in pain.

- Haiku regarding and composed by an INTP (ahem...ahem) whose nitpicking, hairsplitting Ti makes him feel nauseous upon viewing the excessive grammatical errors in this thread.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    A plethora of grammatical errors
    Tolerate I think I cannot
    I howl in pain.

- Haiku regarding an INTP (ahem...ahem) whose Ti makes him feel nauseous upon viewing the excessive grammatical errors in this thread.
    Does Ti/Ne sweat grammar?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Does Ti/Ne sweat grammar?
    If by "sweat" you mean "is bothered by," then Ti certainly does "sweat."
    Unless you haven't noticed, INTPs are quite skilled at pedantry.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

heart on fire

If by "sweat" you mean "is bothered by," then Ti certainly does "sweat."
    Unless you haven't noticed, INTPs are quite skilled at pedantry.
    Pedantic about ideas, yes, but I have never yet noticed them to be grammar hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Pedantic about ideas, yes, but I have never yet noticed them to be grammar hounds.
    Oh, we have our grammar nazi times.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My grammar still has truffle chooing her feud.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've never thought INTP's were really that aware of grammar. I heard one of them say that was more of a Judging type thing (because Judging types are left-brained and think in words). There are some I know that don't bother trying to spell, punctuate, capitalize, or grammatically structure their sentences properly. One of them even called it "conventional cant" or something. It can be hard to deal with, because sometimes I actually have trouble figuring out what someone meant if they don't structure their sentence properly.

I always got the impression that INTP's weren't very skilled with grammar and such unless they had to be for their chosen profession. Why do you think INTP's are good at identifying such things now?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've never thought INTP's were really that aware of grammar. I heard one of them say that was more of a Judging type thing (because Judging types are left-brained and think in words). There are some I know that don't bother trying to spell, punctuate, capitalize, or grammatically structure their sentences properly. One of them even called it "conventional cant" or something. It can be hard to deal with, because sometimes I actually have trouble figuring out what someone meant if they don't structure their sentence properly.

I always got the impression that INTP's weren't very skilled with grammar and such unless they had to be for their chosen profession. Why do you think INTP's are good at identifying such things now?
    In official MBTI description, INTPs are frequently referred to as the type with greatest precision in thought and language.

An INTP is highly skilled at picking out various flaws, inconsistencies, errors, etc.

Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

In official MBTI description, INTPs are frequently referred to as the type with greatest precision in thought and language.

An INTP is highly skilled at picking out various flaws, inconsistencies, errors, etc.
    I think that description may be in need of revision, or else the types of INTP's I've interacted with are. One of the most common communication difficulties I have with INTP's is their tendency to be vague, to make a very general statement in response to a specific question or statement. And to read more than what I meant into what I said. They don't do this as often as other NP's, mind you, but they still have the tendency.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    One of the most common communication difficulties I have with INTP's is their tendency to be vague, to make a very general statement in response to a specific question or statement. And to read more than what I meant into what I said.
    We don't really do this much, except when appropriate.

Why do you hate us so much?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft