• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Grammar

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the INTP reputation of correcting grammar has to do with both their Ti and Si functions. Hence, I imagine that an ISFJ has this reputation, too.

MerkW

I think the INTP reputation of correcting grammar has to do with both their Ti and Si functions. Hence, I imagine that an ISFJ has this reputation, too.

Definitely. This is exactly what I was thinking. Ti and Si in the dominant and tertiary functions (with either in either respective position) is the recipe for the ultimate hairsplitting, flaw-finding nature.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Now that you mention it, I have seen it with the ISFJ's I know as well...

(nice new avatar :))

Would you consider this post to be an example of what you mean when you say that someone has a tendency to correct grammar? I'm not an INTP, although there's a very slight possibility that I might be an incredibly weird ISFJ.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...xx-trying-figure-out-what-i-am.html#post56575

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think INTPs are pedantic (like in the above post) about the grammar of others.. but they certainly notice it.. and they certainly set high standards for themselves.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely. This is exactly what I was thinking. Ti and Si in the dominant and tertiary functions (with either in either respective position) is the recipe for the ultimate hairsplitting, flaw-finding nature.

And I suppose that the Ti and Ni in the ISTP would be responsible for the ISTP's rebelliousness.

The ISTJ, with an Si and Fi combination could lead them to cling to traditional values. The INFP also has these same functions, leading them to do the same thing, but on a more personal level, since they are Fi dominant. The INFP is the one more likely to get sentimental about their past experiences, since their Si is used in a less practical fashion.

The ISFP, on the other hand, with Fi and a low-key Ni, often gives them similar action-oriented rebellious behavior as the ISTP, but on a much more artistic and personal level. The INTJ, since their introverted functions are switched around, is more likely to have ambitious ideas that are in accord with their personal Fi values, which is probably what leads them to become arrogant and stubborn if others disagree with them.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would you consider this post to be an example of what you mean when you say that someone has a tendency to correct grammar? I'm not an INTP, although there's a very slight possibility that I might be an incredibly weird ISFJ.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...xx-trying-figure-out-what-i-am.html#post56575

Well, I have a tendency to do that, as well, but I usually don't tell them they misspelled a word, I tend to correct it myself. However, the way I notice a word is misspelled is because of the red underline in the Firefox browser.

When I was in grade school, I used to get all A's on my spelling tests, however. I was pretty much the one people came to if they needed to know how to spell a word.

I tend to prefer figuring out my type by taking the Cognitive Functions test, because I also have reasonably well-developed Si. It's just not as developed as my Ne or Ni functions.

Didn't you say a while back that you were a mild N? Maybe that's the source of why I tend to see a certain bit of ISFJ in you. The way you welcome newcomers in such a formal fashion -- you're the only one who does that. But I would just look at your Cognitive Functions results or that MMRI thing at Team Technologies.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Could you be a bit more specific about that?

I apologize, I'll try to articulate it more clearly this time.

Would the reader of this paragraph consider the behavior of athenian200 as exampled in this link, which is the blue, underlined 15th word in this sentence, to be considered possibly similar to the sort of particularity about grammar which has been referred to by most users posting in the same thread which this particular post is a part of?

I think that if it is the case that there exists such a similarity as was mentioned above, it would possibly show that INTP's are not the only type with the characteristic of being particular about grammar as was referred to above, and that at the least ISFJ's would share this characteristic as Uberfuhrer previously suggested. The reason it may show this is because there is no possibility that I am an INTP, but I believe there is a slight possibility that I am an ISFJ due to the fact that a few people have said that they believe I might be an ISFJ. However, I think it is most likely that I am an INFJ according to what I know of myself from various tests.

Specific enough for you? ;)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Specific enough for you? ;)

:yes: absolutely, so specific that I stopped reading after the first five words. I thought you were referring to grammatical errors in my post (you quoted it). Early in the morning, this was a pre-coffee misreading :coffee:
Sorry for that...:blush: