User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    With the exeception of informal writing I think that the use of poor grammar is indicative of an author's lack of respect for his or her audience.
    Yes.....that.....or just pure laziness!

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongvk12 View Post
    Yes.....that.....or just pure laziness!
    Good point. However, and this is not meant to upset anyone, I consider forums a place for informal writing. So by all means be as lazy as you wish

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Good point. However, and this is not meant to upset anyone, I consider forums a place for informal writing. So by all means be as lazy as you wish
    I vehemently disagree. Sloppy communication is undesirable in any place, at any time. It only leads to confusion and misunderstanding in the long run. If you are able to communicate correctly, do so. That's my opinion.

MBTI
    ENxJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I vehemently disagree. Sloppy communication is undesirable in any place, at any time. It only leads to confusion and misunderstanding in the long run. If you are able to communicate correctly, do so. That's my opinion.
    I think that for the most part, it is best to avoid sloppy communication as it does lead to confusion and misunderstanding...not to mention the fact that it reflects poorly on one's attention to detail. It has been my experience on this forum that most people try to communicate effectively. But there is one male...who almost NEVER corrects spelling, punctuation or capitalization....so I just skip his posts. Too annoying. (I believe he might be an INTP.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

What about stuff like this? Does it bother people?

Randomising letters in the middle of words [has] little or no effect on the ability of skilled readers to understand the text. This is easy to denmtrasote. In a pubiltacion of New Scnieitst you could ramdinose all the letetrs, keipeng the first two and last two the same, and reibadailty would hadrly be aftcfeed. My ansaylis did not come to much beucase the thoery at the time was for shape and senqeuce retigcionon. Saberi's work sugsegts we may have some pofrweul palrlael prsooscers at work. The resaon for this is suerly that idnetiyfing coentnt by paarllel prseocsing speeds up regnicoiton. We only need the first and last two letetrs to spot chganes in meniang.
    Source.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INTP

I think it depends on the individual's focus. INTPs can be apt to excel with spelling and grammar skills, but they will only do so if they consider it important.

As for being vague, 'vague' statements are, by their very nature, more likely to be accurate than 'specific' statements. Precision is arrived at by starting with generalities and then paring away the extraneous components.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    I think it depends on the individual's focus. INTPs can be apt to excel with spelling and grammar skills, but they will only do so if they consider it important.
    I agree. I know one INTP who is good with them, but it was because they used to be a writer or something.
    As for being vague, 'vague' statements are, by their very nature, more likely to be accurate than 'specific' statements. Precision is arrived at by starting with generalities and then paring away the extraneous components.
    True. But what information does a vague statement really give you? If I were to say, "there is an object in a room somewhere," I would have made an accurate statement. If I had said, "there is a keyboard on my computer desk in front of my monitor in the dining room," I have made a statement that was accurate at the time I wrote it, but is more subject to change later. Even so, I still think the second statement is more useful.

Although I can easily see how too much detail would be superfluous. It would be pointless in most cases to say, "there is a white Dell AT101W keyboard manufactured in Malaysia sitting on top of the Melamine Top Folding Table I'm using as a computer desk. The keyboard is oriented with it's function keys facing my Samsung SyncMaster 730B LCD monitor manufactured in Mexico, the opposite side with the space bar facing my Haworth Improv H.E. (#M241-1G42) office chair's front oriented towards it, and the numeric keypad oriented towards the PS/2 Compaq mouse made in China that came with my Presario 5204 sitting atop my Allsop mouse pad."

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post

Absolutely, I think it is all about ROI. There is little point in expending energy crafting a perfectly worded statment if the benefit of doing so is minimal.

MBTI
    INTP

For me, I DO NOT think in sentence structure before I start to write. My thoughts are literally all over the place, and the writing somewhat comes out. So my natural tendency is not to have good grammar or good spelling. I hate both.

But, I learned a long time ago that if you want others to understand you, you have to be able to put things into a language that anyone can relate to. I do get frustrated at times if other people didn't take the effort I did to make my thoughts understandable.

If they are simply not trying... it's frustrating.

If they are being unclear without really realizing it, and I understand that, then it's no big deal.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by cdal233 View Post
    For me, I DO NOT think in sentence structure before I start to write. My thoughts are literally all over the place, and the writing somewhat comes out. So my natural tendency is not to have good grammar or good spelling. I hate both.

But, I learned a long time ago that if you want others to understand you, you have to be able to put things into a language that anyone can relate to. I do get frustrated at times if other people didn't take the effort I did to make my thoughts understandable.

If they are simply not trying... it's frustrating.

If they are being unclear without really realizing it, and I understand that, then it's no big deal.
    I have a similar problem. For example if I write something that contains six paragraphs all six will be well written. However, the order in which the paragraphs are placed is often confusing.

To compensate I have developed a habit of re-reading anything I have written at least three times.