User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 73

  1. #11
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    I was hoping someone would bring that aspect up. This is also apart of the intimidation that I'm speaking of, I'm not saying that we are as that's a bias, but to others: Have you found us to be intellectually intimidating, or intellectually annoying. The last part simply because sometimes I don't know, or understand when I should shut up on my unintelligble ramblings about something I find intellectually stimulating.

  2. #12
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    I intimidate people when I need to (sports, getting what I need/want, etc.).

    And when I try and be intimidating, it makes those who are constantly the same way quake in their boots (or sandals...whatever).


    Most people think that I'm aloof or just 'out there' most of the time...they're usually not intimidated by my intelligence until the need for me to explain something to someone arrives, or a debate.
    I guess with the expression of intelligence along with natural beauty (not trying to be egotistical lol...just going along with what many others say to me), I become extremely intimidating to others (most of the time I don't even know it) and may see me as a threat to me getting to a guy they might like before they do, or for many males, they're too intimidated to talk to me (reference from guy friends).


    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I was hoping someone would bring that aspect up. This is also apart of the intimidation that I'm speaking of, I'm not saying that we are as that's a bias, but to others: Have you found us to be intellectually intimidating, or intellectually annoying. The last part simply because sometimes I don't know, or understand when I should shut up on my unintelligble ramblings about something I find intellectually stimulating.
    It depends on the person. If they share no interest in what you find interesting, or never care to hear about it, then it would probably be annoying. I know ENTPs where they will talk and talk about something...and they annoy me to hell, as I feel like they're talking to me about a topic I know loads more about than they do, and explaining it to me in vivid detail that I don't need to hear about. Other times, for the most part, I'm interested in listening to rambles, even if they are about something trivial.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Many people in my extended family are ENTPs, and I do find them intimidating. They're all scary brilliant and mercurial -- they know what they want, they go for it, and they're often ruthless. Manipulative, too, because they know enough about people to twist them around to get what they want. Young, immature ENTPs are especially dangerous. Often prodigious, they are very good at getting their own way. In my experience they've been uncaring as to how they've gone about doing it.

    I call them the "dying baby joke" crowd.

    Maybe I find them disconcerting because they are similar to me in a lot of ways. The whole shared Ne, I guess. But unless I am super-passionate about something, it's tough for me to maintain a dispassionate logical intensity. I also find it very hard to assert myself at the expense of others. I find it easier to hide whatever knowledge I have behind a laidback, goofy exterior. My relatives are always high-intensity and guard their emotional cores so well, it's impossible for outsiders to gauge what they feel or think. I feel sometimes that they live in a different, almost superhuman existence that I can't quite understand, because they've made themselves so ambiguous to me. And, of course, I always feel disrespected in our conversations, so I ignore them.

    I do know two ENTPs as friends, and because they respect me, we get on very well. Respect is the key factor. In my experience, if I haven't earned the unconditional respect of an ENTP, it's not worth engaging.

  4. #14
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I intimidate people when I need to (sports, getting what I need/want, etc.).

    And when I try and be intimidating, it makes those who are constantly the same way quake in their boots (or sandals...whatever).


    Most people think that I'm aloof or just 'out there' most of the time...they're usually not intimidated by my intelligence until the need for me to explain something to someone arrives, or a debate.
    I guess with the expression of intelligence along with natural beauty (not trying to be egotistical lol...just going along with what many others say to me), I become extremely intimidating to others (most of the time I don't even know it) and may see me as a threat to me getting to a guy they might like before they do, or for many males, they're too intimidated to talk to me (reference from guy friends).




    It depends on the person. If they share no interest in what you find interesting, or never care to hear about it, then it would probably be annoying. I know ENTPs where they will talk and talk about something...and they annoy me to hell, as I feel like they're talking to me about a topic I know loads more about than they do, and explaining it to me in vivid detail that I don't need to hear about. Other times, for the most part, I'm interested in listening to rambles, even if they are about something trivial.
    This aloofness you speak of... What brings you out of it? Is it someone telling lies, whether they know it or not, or is it to assert yourself as a presence? Anything like that?

    Quote Originally Posted by duck! View Post
    Many people in my extended family are ENTPs, and I do find them intimidating. They're all scary brilliant and mercurial -- they know what they want, they go for it, and they're often ruthless. Manipulative, too, because they know enough about people to twist them around to get what they want. Young, immature ENTPs are especially dangerous. Often prodigious, they are very good at getting their own way. In my experience they've been uncaring as to how they've gone about doing it.

    I call them the "dying baby joke" crowd.

    Maybe I find them disconcerting because they are similar to me in a lot of ways. The whole shared Ne, I guess. But unless I am super-passionate about something, it's tough for me to maintain a dispassionate logical intensity. I also find it very hard to assert myself at the expense of others. I find it easier to hide whatever knowledge I have behind a laidback, goofy exterior. My relatives are always high-intensity and guard their emotional cores so well, it's impossible for outsiders to gauge what they feel or think. I feel sometimes that they live in a different, almost superhuman existence that I can't quite understand, because they've made themselves so ambiguous to me. And, of course, I always feel disrespected in our conversations, so I ignore them.

    I do know two ENTPs as friends, and because they respect me, we get on very well. Respect is the key factor. In my experience, if I haven't earned the unconditional respect of an ENTP, it's not worth engaging.
    I do what you do. I tend to act all bubbly, or relaxed and happy until I'm crossed, or a line is crossed where logic is necessary. I don't know if this is type specific, or just personality in general (temperament and all that good stuff).

  5. #15
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    I've known several ENTP's in my life and I never found them to be intellectually intimidating. I always felt like we spoke a very similar language. If I was to be honest, however, there have been some older ENTP's (a CEO, a professor/mentor, and a public speaker) that were somewhat intimidating in that they were the type of people who truly commanded respect, who had presence when they walked into a room, who when they spoke people listened, etc. 10 years ago, when social anxiety disorder had a hold on me, I would have thought someone like this wouldn't have wanted to talk to me or wouldn't want to give me the time of day and so I would avoid them. And one symptom of SAD is actually *being intimidated by those in a position of authority*. After getting to know a couple of them, however, we had some great conversations. They were very open and care-free, fun people. Like I said, we kind of spoke the same language (Ne) and they kind of helped me realize that I need to just go ahead and say what's on my mind. Just put it out there more. I was surprised, at that younger age, to find out that they actually liked my ideas and my thought process. Now, ENTP's are a breeze.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  6. #16
    Member Idontcare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Most people are intimidated by me at first. I walk very slowly and deliberately, I also usually have a dirty look on my face just because thats my natural face. I can change into a non-intimidating persona very easily. Im also somewhat tall and have a pretty low voice. Then people get to know me and arent even sort of intimidated. I pretty much decide if I want to be intimidating or not and i usually choose to be just for the hell of it.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Great ENTPs use their formidable intellectual Jedi skills in ways that are constructive. My friend's boyfriend, for instance, is the quintessential ENTP lawyer -- tough as nails, easily adaptable, ferocious sense of justice and great intellectual curiosity. I easily see him as capable of great things.

    However, I find that the ENTPs that I'm related to are cerebral bullies. They create complex logical arguments about sensitive subjects. They can exploit personal weakness. A fellow NT may not care as much, but my feelings were easily hurt by their need for one-upmanship. They can also be intellectually annoying. On certain subjects in which I have expertise, I take the effort to cut them down, but they don't back off easily because the need to be right can be stronger than the need to accept the truth.

    I love ENTPs in general, though. The ones I'm not related to are phenomenal people.

  8. #18
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    This aloofness you speak of... What brings you out of it? Is it someone telling lies, whether they know it or not, or is it to assert yourself as a presence? Anything like that?
    When I need to get serious, or something I care about isn't being done. Most of the time I don't really care where life takes me, since I think life will just take me wherever and I'll just go along from there. If people are telling lies and I'm aware of it, I'll usually stay aloof, but I'll nonchalantly call them out on that lie if I can. If it pisses me off enough, I'll just say 'You're fucking full of shit'. The reason for my aloofness...meh, it keeps me out of trouble, from worrying about pointless things, being like everyone else, etc.

  9. #19
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Awww, I thought this was a thread about how to intimidate an ENTP, which would have been great.

    "It puts the lotion on the skin" works on just about everyone.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  10. #20
    Symbolic Herald Vasilisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    The ENTP I knew well didn't have a natural intimidating demeanor. It seemed to work to his advantage. In one sense because he desired to meet new people and be welcomed into new experiences and places. He wasn't a snob or bullying type of personality that would get pleasure from frightening strangers. And in another sense, because he was frequently underestimated by cocky, presumptuous types of people, he was able to parlay that into advantage over them, and subsequently crush them. Not literally, but crush them at whatever contest they were engaged in, real or imagined. So, from my humble observation I saw an interesting kind of duality. Not trying to be intimidating, but not wanting anyone to get away with underestimating.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project


    Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] Rant on ENTPs
    By Blackwater in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
  2. [ENTP] ENTP personality type descritpion
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs Type Profiles
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 11:50 PM
  3. [ENTP] Are ENTPs aggressive/forceful?
    By substitute in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 06:13 AM
  4. [ENTP] Good Qualities of ENTPs
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM
  5. [ENTP] ENtp and Marijuana!
    By Maha Raj in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO