User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: INTP's and fear

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post
    You think it's because of their shyness?? I want to doubt that.

Hm...you make me think about this. I just don't think because one is shy they are scared of a movie. People, yes...but a movie?? I don't think so. I mean, I could be wrong thinking it is a INTP thing...not that i'm trying to pinpoint it or anything (though, I did imply it). I'm scared as hell when it comes to movies and I'm an INFJ(that kind of helps you out there in your thought), so...I don't think shyness is the right thing there.
    It's an oversensitivity to stimuli, in general. Shyness has genetic links and it's observable in babies. Babies who are more afraid (showing stronger responses to startling stimuli) have a higher chance of being shy when they're older. No, it's not just movies, but it's a general oversensitivity.

From Why we are shy - Times Online:
    "There is growing evidence that these youngsters are oversensitive to sensory stimuli, such as loud noises."

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It's an oversensitivity to stimuli, in general. Shyness has genetic links and it's observable in babies. Babies who are more afraid (showing stronger responses to startling stimuli) have a higher chance of being shy when they're older. No, it's not just movies, but it's a general oversensity.
    That's strange and to see how they connect makes me wonder what that makes me.
    I-83%
    N-68%
    F-68%
    J-68%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by chippinchunk View Post
    That's strange and to see how they connect makes me wonder what that makes me.
    I really don't believe that "type" is a rigid and discrete thing. In fact, I don't even think type is a great way to understand people. Shaking off one's type (and the whole MBTI framework) is a much better way to get to understand someone's thinking and interests, I've found. Still, you can say a few things about people's habits. I've noticed that the "shy" "INTPs" have some similar qualities. They're very introspective. They're into mysticism. They're very curious about the occult. They're very sensitive, and can understand people very well. Maybe that's you, maybe it isn't.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Ironically, my imagination is always worse than what is probably shown.
    I don't think it ironical - rather the cause. I can't watch scary movies, especially supernatural stuff. And I'm totally convinced that it's because of my vivid imagination... (which also keeps the story and the scary images alive afterwards, while my ever too imaginative mind tries to develop the scary stuff further...).

In my daughters school they have a party every Halloween, where one of the events of the evening is storytelling by candlelight in a dark room. And I've had this assignment for a number of years now. They say I'm very good at dramatizing the story, but the tricky part is not the reading but finding stories that are short enough (for the kids to hold on listening) and scary enough. So one year I decided to write a ghost story on my own. Boy - was I scared those weeks!!
    But I was disappointed to find that the kids were not at all that scared. The year after I read stories I found in books. But when I had finished one kid asked about the story I had told last year. I didn't have it on paper but tried to tell it from memory - and this time I swear their hair were standing on ends...! Because I told it from memory, and hesitated sometimes when I couldn't remember a name etc, it must have sounded more like a real memory!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I've noticed that the "shy" "INTPs" have some similar qualities. They're very introspective. They're into mysticism. They're very curious about the occult. They're very sensitive, and can understand people very well. Maybe that's you, maybe it isn't.
    Well, my friend, "INTP" is in that "shy" category, but I dont think she fits some of your descriptions. ---But that's just me sticking to the MBTI realm.
    I-83%
    N-68%
    F-68%
    J-68%

I usually don't like horror movies, but not out of fear, but rather since I regard most of them to be of rather poor quality. While watching a scary movie, I usually scoff and laugh at it, yet afterwards, I often entertain the notion in my head, often resulting in mild paranoia (especially if the scenario seems likely enough to occur in real life).
    One "scary" movie that I do appreciate, however, is Stanley Kubrick's, The Shinning. I enjoy the subtlety and strangeness of it.

Regardless, I am not easily scared in the sense that I don't react very strongly horror movies and the like. However, I do have some relatively noticeable phobias, most prominently, mysophobia.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTP

Most "scary" movies bore me to tears.

MBTI
    INTJ

Do any other INTP's or INTJ's (for the hell of it) get scared too easliy and try to deny it?
    Haha. I'm never scared when watching a scary movie. In fact, I'm never scared hours after watching it (at night). You know what gets me? One silent night, when I'm alone and whatnot, or when I'm feeling introspective, it all comes back to haunt me and a dark shadow could be seen by me as Sadako... From the Japanese 'Ringu'. That's when I 'really' get scared. I remember doing homework until really late at night and both my parents were on business trip. Sudden, I saw a shadow flit across my room from the reflections in my window and it looked like the girl from Haunted Forest (horrible movie, btw. No real point to it). I was hallucinating, that's for sure, but due to the lateness, I was quite put out by the sight and closed the curtains. Afterwards, I've alway felt this 'prescence' behind my back. It went away in the morning, but it's amazing what the human mind can do.
    I: 78% N: 88% T: 66% J: 44%
    Enneagram: The Reformer/The Investigator
    Global 5:RCOEI

MBTI
    INTJ

Scared too easily? No. About the only thing that ever creeped me out was Harlan Ellison's "I have no mouth, and I must scream." I'm the person laughing at the monsters in the haunted house, pointing out that they got the shade of dried blood wrong, and then singing along to the song obviously intended to scare people.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    Most "scary" movies bore me to tears.
    But weren't you in a gang for a few years? biker club? MAVERICK'S BIKER CLUB?