• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Detemine Function Questions: Ni vs. Ne

TacEight

MBTI Type
INTP
Experimenting with some of the better questions one would ask another to find out if they are more guided/influenced by their Ne or their Ni. According to MBTI theory Ne is used by INTPs, while Ni is used primarily by INTJs.

Example question:

When putting together a puzzle, would you:
a) examine the overall puzzle thoroughly before starting
b) briefly examine the overall puzzle before starting

(This may or may not be a good question; that is why I'm asking for your advice--to get a compilation of questions.)

I realize the Ni vs Ne concept has been going on in other threads I've been monitoring. Perhaps questions as such would help clarify. A few useful links:

PerC-post, my favorite descriptors

Introverted Intuition: one I saw linked from a similar post
One of the inspiring posts

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Experimenting with some of the better questions one would ask another to find out if they are more guided/influenced by their Ne or their Ni. According to MBTI theory Ne is used by INTPs, while Ni is used primarily by INTJs.

Example question:

B, but this is a pretty bad question. It basically measures introversion vs extroversion in general (introverts have a bias for reflection, extroverts for action), rather than Ne versus Ni. INTPs would probably answer A, but that's because they prefer using Ti to examine every angle of the puzzle before doing it.

On your reference links: Sim knows his shit for the most part, but his function definitions have a slight issue, which is that he's basically Lenore Thomson's mouthpiece; which is unfortunate because Lenore Thomson makes xxTJs and xxFJs look like fucking retards.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was thinking about Ne vs. Ni the other day and I think I came to this conclusion: If you drew a circle and the stuff inside the circle represented "everything" - as it pertains to a given situation (whether it be a puzzle or something else), then Ne want to consider the whole entire circle and everything in it. It wants to leave no leaf unturned. If it moves forward on a project knowing that it hasn't investigated everything in the circle, then it feels incomplete or like it is moving forward without gathering full information.

Ni seems to pick a slice of the circle that it is most interested in (a slice of the pie so to speak) and then navigate its way through that one slice. Ni navigates its way through its chosen field or its chosen endeavor very well.

An example would be all the threads you see on this board and INTPc where INTP's are constantly asking "what career field would make an INTP happy?", "I just can't seem to find the right career", etc, etc. INTJ's could moan and complain the same way we do, but they usually don't. They just pick a career and they go for it. And it may not be a "perfect fit", but they navigate through it as best they know how. INTP's are constantly thinking, "there's something else out there that would be better", there has to be another career field in the "circle of possibilities" that I haven't come across yet that will be more fulfilling.

When I debate with Ni users (INTJ/ENTJ), what seems to happen is that they are better than me at navigating *the specific topic that we are talking about*. They can kind of corner me a little bit or "trap me" (within the debate, that is), because their focus is more concentrated on the sliver of pie that we are talking about at that moment. They are the only types that can really seemingly "corner me" within the confines of a debate. But, the cornering is only momentarily, because Ne (seeing the whole circle at all times) is able to hop around and it always finds a way out, even if it has to resort to a bit of "escapism". In other words, if the Ni user traps me, I can move outside of the sliver of pie that we are talking about, and talk about things in a broader sense. I can always find a way to wiggle out because I'm seeing the whole picture at all times.

The other day I was talking to an Ni user (hard core republican) who was making some pretty interesting arguments in regards to the "negative side" of having a lot of immigrants in this country. He was kind of "pinning me down" and making it very hard to argue against him. First, he is extremely knowledgeable on current events and laws that are being considered and proposed and, second, he uses good logic to make his points known. I'm not necessarily one side or the other of this debate (to any large extent, anyway), but feeling pinned down and not really having much of a retort, I just simply played devil's advocate and said, "You do realize that your ancestors were once immigrants to this country, right? That they came over here and forced the native people to be obedient to them and basically said, 'this is the way we're doing it from now on'. So, just keep that in mind. The immigrants that are here now could very easily have been your great-grandfather and they are certainly someone else's great-grandfather. Just try to keep the whole picture in mind."

I didn't really have answer for his specific argument - I couldn't really match his knowledge on the topic, but I can see for absolute certain when someone isn't considering "the whole entire circle". Within that slice of pie (the topic of immigration in today's society), he navigated very well, but I was still able to point out flaws and/or hypocrisy in his overall viewpoint because I'm constantly scanning for "all information that could possibly be considered".

TacEight

MBTI Type
INTP
B, but this is a pretty bad question. It basically measures introversion vs extroversion in general (introverts have a bias for reflection, extroverts for action), rather than Ne versus Ni. INTPs would probably answer A, but that's because they prefer using Ti to examine every angle of the puzzle before doing it.

On your reference links: Sim knows his shit for the most part, but his function definitions have a slight issue, which is that he's basically Lenore Thomson's mouthpiece; which is unfortunate because Lenore Thomson makes xxTJs and xxFJs look like fucking retards.

Good points. Do you have a better suggestion on questions? I'm not only trying to define a few good questions, I'm considering making an experimental personality test. (Not that I will ever really go anywhere with it before getting side-tracked, hah.)

If you don't have a different question in mind, could you refine the one I suggested? (It was spur-of-the-moment but fit well enough to get the concept across.)

I was thinking about Ne vs. Ni the other day... ...Ni seems to pick a slice of the circle that it is most interested in (a slice of the pie so to speak) and then navigate its way through that one slice. Ni navigates its way through its chosen field or its chosen endeavor very well.

I like this analogy, I'll have to see if I can put it into a question format.

An example would be all the threads you see on this board and INTPc where INTP's are constantly asking "what career field would make an INTP happy?"...

I've struggled with this desire as well: I make a decent salary and have a highly sought-after job, but I dislike it and am always wondering what else I can do. I always assumed it was because my work-focused Se and Ni knew I could do something better, but now I wonder if it's because of my Ti/Ne is simply looking outside the circle.

When I debate with Ni users (INTJ/ENTJ)...

This also explain why I always thought I was such a poor debater compared to "other INTJs." Though I have enough practice with Ni to hold my own, if I make it conscious. *ponders*

The other day I was talking to an Ni user (hard core republican) who was making some pretty interesting arguments...

Hah funny story. That's why I got out of politics though; too much unknowns to understand it really. If many politicians are corrupt, everyone's arguments get thrown out the window. If many are not, again everyone's arguments against the other side get thrown out. Sort of redundant if you can step back and realize the pattern therein.

Do you have any question-suggestions for me? If I can get enough from everyone I'll make a foolish promise to try very hard (notice the lack of concrete commitment there) to make a test and post it for everyone ;)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do you have any question-suggestions for me?

Seeing that one is introverted and the other is extroverted, I would ask:

-Does your intuition feel like more of an internal device or is it something that you like to use around other people?

I'm very much an introvert, for example, but part of my Ne is connecting with people, acting like a clown, using my humor, pointing out weird things/connections to people, etc. I would imagine that Ni feels very different than this to the Ni user.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'd chose B and I am an INTP. I suppose it depends on what type of puzzle it is. I was thinking along the lines of jigsaw puzzles or brainteasers. I only briefly look at the picture or the question because I can always refer back to it if needed.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'd chose B and I am an INTP. I suppose it depends on what type of puzzle it is. I was thinking along the lines of jigsaw puzzles or brainteasers. I only briefly look at the picture or the question because I can always refer back to it if needed.

Same here. I just need to know the gist of things, so to speak, to get going.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'd pick 'b' too. Only if I had a chance to look at the puzzle throughout the process of putting it together. If it were a test I'd pick 'a'. I would want to understand a great deal of it before I began so I'd stare for as long as possible.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

(This may or may not be a good question; that is why I'm asking for your advice--to get a compilation of questions.)

Actually, I wouldn't do the puzzle at all. Puzzles feel like work to me and have no practical benefits or return for me, so I see little purpose/use in doing them. I know many people who do enjoy them. Maybe this is Te influence and has nothing to do with Ni/Ne. Or maybe it has nothing to do with anything other than I get bored and frustrated with puzzles. Come to think of it, if it were a competitive intellectual game, table tennis or Mario Kart - that is an entirely different story. Those have little practical benefit but they're fun.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I get bored with jigsaw puzzles almost instanteously. The same picture gets boring after awhile.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not much into puzzles, but my approach would be B - and I am INFP.

I don't like reading directions much either. I tend to scan them briefly to get the gist and then dive into the problem/project, revisiting the directions if necessary.

rav3n

Te-dom, Ni-aux. B and then find all the edge pieces to create the framework for the puzzle. Then divide up the balance of the pieces into "same" area of puzzle piles through colour and pattern identification, then move onto each pile, complete the pile and hopefully be able to attach it to the framework. Then, onto the next pile, wash, rinse and repeat.

TacEight

MBTI Type
INTP
I think you've all plotted against me just to see what I'd do! Hah! That was an EXAMPLE question--rhetorical in all aspects! But hey, it has laid the grounds for me to think on a question of similar make-up.

Still, I'm striving to put together a compilation of questions, not just one. Any feedback with that in mind? (Feedback = NON puzzle-related questions!!!)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not much into puzzles, but my approach would be B - and I am INFP.

I don't like reading directions much either. I tend to scan them briefly to get the gist and then dive into the problem/project, revisiting the directions if necessary.

Same here.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
the fun question I like to ask my friends is, would you say your mind operates more like a chaingun or a sniper rifle?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te-dom, Ni-aux. B and then find all the edge pieces to create the framework for the puzzle. Then divide up the balance of the pieces into "same" area of puzzle piles through colour and pattern identification, then move onto each pile, complete the pile and hopefully be able to attach it to the framework. Then, onto the next pile, wash, rinse and repeat.

i actually do it that way too...except i just scan the pieces for similar patters and do all of them first rather than actually put them into piles.

rav3n

i actually do it that way too...except i just scan the pieces for similar patters and do all of them first rather than actually put them into piles.
That's just a manifestation of my anal retentive Te-domness. :cheese:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i thought it interesting tho...how te manifests in different positions...perhaps..

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ne: This is like this and this and this and this...

Ni: This could actually mean this or this or this or this...