User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

Short version:

Order of importance relative to the current goal.

ex.
    If price is important, presision gets a day of.
    If speed is important, comfort gets a day of.
    If Love is important, saving money gets a day of.

And info/details is very important to make the right decision.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    how do you know if your route is a good one?
    You make a judegment call. As with most things, it's hard to be absolutely sure that something will work until you've done it and found out. Oft times, you will know that success isn't certain. All you can do is play the numbers. Choice the path that gives the best ratio of rewards to danger (or as best as you can estimate it) and go with it. If it turns bad, pick up the pieces and try again.

That last is perhaps the most important bit of advice. One one goes through life without making mistakes unless they never make a decision at all.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

how do you know if your route is a good one?

this is cool. it sounds like yall are seeing this as a multi-step process, and one with clear stages. i guess my biggest question is, you don't get hung up on making a "right" decision? just one that works? or i guess the right decision is technically one that works... hm...
    Quote Originally Posted by musicheck View Post
    The first step is to get a good sense of where you want to be 10 years from now. Next, you figure out how to get there. Decision making feels a lot more concrete if you're connecting dots than if you simply ask yourself "what seems right?".
    Right now, I have a one page summary goals set for 8 years, 3 years, and 1 year. So, when I make decisions, I try and make them within the context of those goals. I haven't always been quite as formal about it, but do think it helps to write them down.

The inclination of someone with INTJ preferences is to use Ni and Te. Te does things like focusing on results, breaking things down into segments, and evaluating progress. Ni helps to develop the overall vision - it synthesizes, integrates, is holistic, perceives depth and breadth, and provides insight. Tertiary Fi somehow provides the passion I think - and a sense of what is right, wrong, just, fair, etc.

It seems that INTJs are often good at making decisions using those preferences. However, there are blind spots. An INTJ may want to change too much - be too revolutionary. They may not be entirely realistic. They may not consider how others may respond or react. My belief is that the best decisions are those that leverage all 8 of the cognitive processes. Since it is quite difficult for any one person to do this effectively, you enlist others to provide the perspectives you are weak in. For example, a decision made jointly by an INTJ and an ISFJ together, would likely be a much better decision than one made by either one individually on their own. I pick those two because their cognitive process order is reversed. The INTJ would use Ni, Te, and Fi. The ISFJ would provide Fe, Si, and to a lesser extent Ti which would be a helpful compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    [B][U]
    I created a three page list of ethical standards and quotes by which I want to live my life, sometimes it's helpful to go to my abstractions when I'm confused about how I want to deal with a specific instance. I only refer back to it maybe twice a year. Perhaps I should do it more--it's always helpful when I'm feeling disoriented about my priorities.
    I had a one page mission statement for years that I updated and maintained. As I look back on it now, I would change the priorities but It did help to ground me and keep me focused.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Perception of the many different possibilities of the same case.

Take in the most strongest probability factors on all given perceptions and determine which is the most likely conclusion. If the largest of the most likely case of what is most probable to the right conclusion is anywhere near the second most probable case I must gather and suck more variables to take into account to make a stronger contrast of solid surety.

Now I must consider my own abilities of understanding whether I truly understand what I am supposed to understand. If I do not I will go back and start over. I must remove doubt from my understanding and from my abilities to perceive things in the proper manner.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Step one: don't worry about it.

Step two: decide what you want.

Step three: if you can't decide between two possibilities, flip a coin. If you don't like the result of the coin toss, choose the other possibility.

Step four: don't worry about it, just decide.

Step five: It doesn't matter what you choose, only that you choose it.

Step six: having chosen your choice, make it happen. Don't worry about all the other possibilities for now, just make THIS choice happen.

Step seven: Now that you've made this choice happen, you are free to choose any other possibility, including undoing your current choice (usually).

Once you know that if you choose something, it will happen, all of your other choices will become coherent.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

i guess my biggest question is, you don't get hung up on making a "right" decision? just one that works? or i guess the right decision is technically one that works... hm...
    For me, the right decision is the one that works best. There is often no ideal decision, and more often, several decisions that each are "right" in their own way. As Usehername says, the best long-term decision may not always be most appealing in the short term. I am where I am now largely because of deferring immediate gratification for future gain. Now is that future. As for implementation, I always plan a "grand execution", but I plan for multiple contingencies as well, including the worst case scenario. This allows me to reorient my plan fairly quickly if an unexpected roadblock or opportunity presents itself.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I do know that I would trust an INTJ to make a decision (more than any other type), if only because I'm largely incapable of doing so.
    In what way? I thought that people can make good decisions at times [even when they're not frequent].
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Amie View Post
    One thing I do without always realizing it (until I have to explain my decision to someone or walk them through their own decision making process) is to figure the worst case scenario. I don't mean it in a depressing or negative way, but the worst case scenario is usually not that bad for any situation and that takes a lot of pressure off.

From there I can rule out the bad options (ones in which the worst case scenario is likely or unacceptable) and I can reduce the number of options on the table. I think I group options together to reduce the number I'm dealing with as well. I kind of categorize them. Then when I have it down to one category I can open that group back up and repeat the process with the options that were contained there.

I do incorporate my feelings into the decision as well. I look at them when I've narrowed it down a bit, although they can rule out an elimination if the feeling is strong enough and logical. I know that seems like a contradiction, but feelings can be misleading for me if they aren't at least mostly grounded in logic. Intuition rules more than feelings over the course of making the choice.
    Precisely so. Your answer describes my whole decision making process up to the last punctuation mark. Therefore I couldn't help myself replying with a quote.

The worst case scenario calculation is particularly true. I find it works fine most of the time, but it can be pretty detrimental when the worst possible conclusion is something to be severely concerned about (e.g. health issues).

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

If you make a decision that you thought was right but ended up being wrong, but it involved other people and what you did couldn't be undone.. how would you handle it? you know, if you loved someone =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTj

Receive question --> Give answer --> Review facts if questioned --> Create post-decision reasoning if necessary--> Repeat (hopefully withought steps 3 & 4 this time.)
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight