• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How to Keep an INTP Man Happy

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So much of this is so accurate in my INTP opinion.

This comes from here.

by Cafeaulaltinfj
That's what I've learned so far IRL over the past 12 years and right here on intpopen in the last couple of years.

1.) Sex (of course). Pretty much whenever they want, but you get bonus points for initiating it. *hint* let him know what you like and he will try to do it. Variety is good as long as it doesn't involve huge amounts of planning and effort on his part. Little physical pleasures, not necessarily sexual, will get you lots of bonus points. Back scratching, brushing whatever hair they have, massage, that kind of thing. *big important hint for F types* if you want snuggles after sex, don't let him roll over and go to sleep while you lie there and fume. TELL HIM you want snuggles, don't whine about it or try to make him feel guilty. If you want a psychic, call a hotline.

2.) Food. INTP men aren't overly demanding in this area, though they do enjoy good food. If you keep enough "forage" around, they will be content. If you want them to be healthy, you have to make a meal or so a day and make sure they remember to eat it. If you bring it to them at the computer, they will eat almost anything without even realizing they've eaten. *hint* an elaborate meal is not worth a lot of points and you can actually lose points if they don't like it and you get all upset about them not liking it.

3.) Physical environment. They need a place to store their magazines, books, CDs and orphaned computers they've taken in. They need a path to and from the important places in the house: the computer, the fridge, the bathroom, and the bed. Reasonable climate-control must be maintained, because they do not notice things like this themselves, but only the eventual physical effects. (Drowsiness because it's too warm, etc.) Keeping a beautiful house may not be worth too many points. *hint * If the house is perfect and you are wacko, anal-retentive witch about the house, you will lose points.

4.) Clothing. They need a clean set of clothes each day. The condition isn't particularly important. Some may find a particular kind of clothing they like and it will become a uniform of sorts, only varying in color. If you want them to look good, replace the uniform components as they wear out. *hint* ask before you throw their old clothes (or anything else) out. They can form emotional attachments to things without your realizing it. If you throw out an "attached" object, it is like betrayal and you will lose a lot of points for no good reason.

5.) Emotional. Be nice and do not screw with their heads. They can be sensitive. If you want something, ask for it. If you do not get all emotional and are willing to take no for an answer, they will usually try to accommodate any reasonable request. *hint* Socializing with large (or sometimes even small) groups of people for extended periods of time is not a reasonable request. This is normal behavior, not something you need to fix. It is not personal. If you like to socialize a lot, you have two choices: be willing to leave him at home with some cold pizza and his computer or find a different guy.

These guys *need* to feel smart and competent. If you attack them in this area, if you try to make them feel stupid or incompetent, you lose some serious points.

Accept early on that he loves you but can't, repeat CAN'T read your mind. If you are always expecting him to do things that he didn't know he was supposed to do and if you keep getting mad at him for not doing things that he didn't know he was supposed to do (or not do) he will become bewildered and frustrated and will give up trying to please you. He will either come to only tolerate you or he will escape. Be please-able. When he does something nice, say thank you, even if it's not what you wanted or its a little weird. Having him want to do nice things for you is the important thing. You can work on the details later.

At some point, your rational INTP is going to show some emotion, maybe even "open up" to you. You are at a major points situation here. You can win a lot of points or you can lose even more. Revere this as the honor it is. The emotions are probably going to be undeveloped and may seem odd. Accept them, respect them, validate them. If you do, you will build his trust for you.

6.) Intellectual. They need their computer. They need reading material. They need intelligent conversation. If you aren't an NT you may have to work at this. You have to listen, try to understand. If you don't quite get it, ask questions. There will be some things that you are not going to get. It isn't hopeless, they can accept that if everything else is good and you give them space. There are some things that they will talk about that will make your eyes glaze over (just like you glaze their eyes over by talking about all the emotional crap you talk about). Try to act interested, they do it for you. Keep your own mind busy. Read, learn stuff. Have something intelligent to say. Be able to converse well about some subjects. INTPs have their own interests, but they like to learn about all kinds of stuff and will probably be willing to talk about your interests, too.

Give your INTP the space they need to gorge on information and to ruminate and you will be rewarded with someone who always has something interesting to talk about and some funny stories to tell you.

Career/money. This can call for some serious patience. It can take a long time to find a good paying job that they don't hate. You have to either be willing to be broke a lot or be able and willing to make money yourself. You want to think hard about the money situation before you have kids. It is a lot easier to have a good attitude about doing without yourself than it is to see your kids doing without. You have to have as good an attitude as possible, because the career thing can be really hard on a guy's ego. They will really beat themselves up about this which will drain their confidence, which will, in turn, make the job search harder. You don't want to make it worse. You need to be supportive and stay out of the way unless they ask you for help. They'll eventually find something.

That's what I've learned so far IRL over the past 12 years and right here on intpopen in the last couple of years.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:blush: I keep coming back to haunt myself. :shock:

*Ponders asking Bo to take it down or remove my old handle*

O

Oberon

I'd say "Keep the snacks and current issues of Wired magazine coming." And occasionally be naked.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Around here it's MacWorld. :yes:

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
:blush: I keep coming back to haunt myself. :shock:

*Ponders asking Bo to take it down or remove my old handle*

I figured that might be you, but don't worry. It is really good. I've had it saved in my bookmarks for quite a while.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cafe, you should be happy about how accurate your old post was and still is for it to be quoted and appreciated for it's informational value by those it describes. ^_^

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
6.) Intellectual. They need their computer. They need reading material. They need intelligent conversation. If you aren't an NT you may have to work at this. You have to listen, try to understand. If you don't quite get it, ask questions. There will be some things that you are not going to get. It isn't hopeless, they can accept that if everything else is good and you give them space. There are some things that they will talk about that will make your eyes glaze over (just like you glaze their eyes over by talking about all the emotional crap you talk about). Try to act interested, they do it for you. Keep your own mind busy. Read, learn stuff. Have something intelligent to say. Be able to converse well about some subjects. INTPs have their own interests, but they like to learn about all kinds of stuff and will probably be willing to talk about your interests, too.

I would add an addendum to this section that, far from being tolerated, I actively embrace teaching another intelligent person about something they don't know and vice versa. The key word is intelligent, though. I want someone who doesn't sit there with a "durr" expression, forcing me to constantly repeat what seems like a simple idea. I do recognize that sometimes it is my problem, that I haven't quite made the connection right, but I can tell the difference between that and complete blockhead. I have unlimited patience for the former and none for the latter.

Oh and don't repeat yourself, or feel like I'm disdaining you because I glaze over. I realize that everybody has ritual stories they share constantly, and I try to accomodate that, but sometimes I get extraordinarily frustrated being regaled by the same damn story thirty different times. Please N.B that repeating a request to do something, or a reminder of an event, is both warranted and welcomed. I do lose track.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
Most of it applies in reverse as well, when the woman in the relationship is an INTP.

I just read it out loud to my husband and we both had a good laugh. Every now and then he'd mutter "ain't that the truth".

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think I'd like to print this up and discuss it with my wife... when I end up actually having one.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of it applies in reverse as well, when the woman in the relationship is an INTP.

I just read it out loud to my husband and we both had a good laugh. Every now and then he'd mutter "ain't that the truth".

good to know...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty close to correct.

I don't really need a stream of fresh clothing.

I don't need much space for anything, I'm a minimalist. I just want space for the sake of having all of that precious, unconsumed, space. :laugh:

I, for one, am always on snuggle mode by default.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I think I'd like to print this up and discuss it with my wife... when I end up actually having one.

Don't get your hopes up. Not many women (or males for that matter) will accept these terms. You'll need a wife who's both very independent, very healthy, self confident, very intelligent and likes traditional gender roles. You might in fact have to wrestle GruffyBear for cafe. ;)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't get your hopes up. Not many women (or males for that matter) will accept these terms. You'll need a wife who's both very independent, very healthy, self confident, very intelligent and likes traditional gender roles. You might in fact have to wrestle GruffyBear for cafe. ;)

I could handle those terms, but I don't need a clean house either to be happy, just someone who will let me come snuggle every once in a while :blush:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
That's right, work hard to please INTPs people.

I like this points thing, I'm going to start dishing them out. Starting Monday morning, whenever somebody pisses me off, I'm going to tell them exactly how many they've lost.

"You want me to acknowledge you in the corridor with agreed social genials? Bang! That's twenty points missy! No, keep moving, don't make it another ten. You want another ten? You want another ten? Ten it is, that's thirty you're in the hole. Go get me a biscuit and I'll talk about bumping you up five."

A minute later.

"What this? What the hell is this!? Do I taste ginger? Bang! Fifty points gone! Now take the biscuit, take your bad attitude, take twenty out of petty cash, get a taxi, find a bridge and give yourself to gravity! And rest assured I'll be personally engraving negative eighty points on your tombstone!!!! YOU GOT THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"