• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ -- What do you do to see things through to the end?

ouka

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
As an INTJ, one of my greatest weaknesses is dreaming up ideas, and then doing nothing about it. Sometimes I'll get a rush of motivation and start putting something into action, but then I will rarely see it to completion.

It seems like I am not alone in this...do any of you have any examples of how you've managed to follow through a plan of action? Any tips to boost self-discipline?

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?
wow, I was thinking about starting a thread just like this. I've been starting and quitting stuff since I was little(sports, hobbies etc.) and now I'm kind of screwed for college apps cuz I have almost nothing to write....

But when I get motivation for something, I usually stick with it, like an interest in a subject at school. Its just that I can't stick with stuff that I'm not entirely interested in :\ ....Most of the time, I just force myself to finish something as fast as possible

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I finish this chore....world domination!!

If I study for this test....world domination!!

If I join this club in school....world domination!!

If I excel in this subject.....world domination!!

If I finish masterbating.....world domination!!

It's all about the little things that add up to what you ultimately want to accomplish that could motivate you to see it through.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
It sure smells like P in here. I'll give you an example of what you asked for in the OP:
At some point in my secondary education I realised that my future would probably lie in some type of academics, so I decided that I wanted to become the valedictorian. I worked at it and happened to succeed; end of story. If you genuinely have issues with setting up long-term goals for yourself and working consistently at achieving them, you might want to reconsider your type and approach it from a different perspective.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My drive to complete things often comes from my personal values. I have always had a strong sense of what is important to me. Sometimes this involves my personal future (e.g. go to a good college, get an interesting job). Other times, it involves something on the outside that I just don't think is right, or think could be substantially improved (e.g. an environmental or political concern). I try to figure out the best way to create the outcome I want to see, then throw all my resources and abilities into it. A corollary to this is that I don't generally waste time on causes that I cannot help, however worthy.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I will find personally that starting things is my weakness rather than finishing them. I just don't like the idea that I'm at the beginning of a long process. If I cannot think of a way to do the process in a quick and effective way rather than rely on traditional methods I will sit, think of the result, make a countdown of 10 seconds whereas by the time it gets to 0 I will not think or feel and just get up to do it out of will alone.

Nicodemus

The unfinished usually haunts me until it has been transformed into its final form.

Katharsis

MBTI Type
INTJ
From my understanding of MBTI, I would say that your type correspond with Ne rather than Ni. Unfinished projects tend to be stuck in the back of my head and constantly remind me of itself, causing distraction until I see it through. I always require closure for previous half-hearted efforts, wether it is finishing what I've started or abandon the idea completely. And like the previous poster, the problem isn't finishing as much as it is trouble converting thought into action.

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?

It's all about the little things that add up to what you ultimately want to accomplish that could motivate you to see it through.

lmao I never have trouble with the last one ;P but I've never been into the "world domination " thing like my other intj friends :\ I mean do you guys use it as a sort of motivation or do you auctually think you can do it????

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lmao I never have trouble with the last one ;P but I've never been into the "world domination " thing like my other intj friends :\ I mean do you guys use it as a sort of motivation or do you auctually think you can do it????
I don't need to dominate the world, just my little corner of it. I guess that means I want to dominate, or more accurately control, my world.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As an INTJ, one of my greatest weaknesses is dreaming up ideas, and then doing nothing about it. Sometimes I'll get a rush of motivation and start putting something into action, but then I will rarely see it to completion.

It seems like I am not alone in this...do any of you have any examples of how you've managed to follow through a plan of action? Any tips to boost self-discipline?

That comes with age. I've gotten better at it because I hate myself when I fail.
If you focus on self-criticism until you do something about what you don't like, you'll drive yourself forward.
If you don't dare to act even though you are afraid, call yourself a bloody coward. Prove yourself wrong.
If you are too lazy to do something, despise yourself until you can't bear it anymore. Prove yourself wrong.

Then it's a matter of stamina, as well. Psychological stamina.
You know how you do it when you run until you hit the steady state?
Until then, it's bloody hard, but when you reach that mile-eating pace, you can go all the way.
Sometimes you can even go beyond what you needed to do and run another few miles.
Prove you can be more than you are now by being something more.

T

ThatGirl

I fall into two separate categories.

One is that I tend to make goals that aren't really relevant at the time. Like wouldn't this be cool? Then I figure out all the ideal standards it would take to pounce, and set it on the back burner.

Then I go about my regular life, but should I at any time see things align in favor of that goal, I immediately spring into action.

The other category is that the end IS the entire idea. In this I try to remember that not reaching the end makes everything worthless. Like, I will never become successful if I don't finish this class with an A. That's usually enough to keep me set on something.

Like I said in another post, there are times I will let go of a goal, but it usually does not happen gracefully.

Lol, I guess that doesn't really help your situation.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just show up at where "the end" is supposed to happen and wait...sometimes I get impatient and leave for a coffee or something then get delayed and "the end" happens while I'm out.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5

Nope. No tips. No pointers. I've become comfortable with the idea that I can just sit around and think shit up, or rather, wait for the random burst of insight to hit me (Sometimes this takes weeks or months, no worries, just chill in the meaintime).

When I have an idea, the most I can (sometimes) manage is to write the idea down so maybe I can pass it along to somebody who is more ambitious than I am some day.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Exactly... this is the only thing that brings me even close to getting anything done, or even started.

Unfortunately, even that isn't enough lately... but I have a slight perceiving preference so that doesn't really count.

From my understanding of MBTI, I would say that your type correspond with Ne rather than Ni. And like the previous poster, the problem isn't finishing as much as it is trouble converting thought into action.

Yes, this does kind of seem like an Ne/'converting thought to action' problem...