User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Mort, I used to do something similar all the time. As I've learned more of myself and what I want (in part thanks to MBTI), I've begun to get my life headed in that direction and my anxiety level is dropping off by the day. The "worst case scenario" fantasies have followed suit.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Ever since I was a small child I fantasized about unjust things happening to me and I find myself still doing it today. I'll just start thinking about some terrible injustice happening to me and after a minute I'll break out of it realising where I've just been.

I'll be on a bus or something, and being fairly tall, when I stand towards the back of the bus my head touches the roof. Then I imagine what would happen if the bus went over a bump and pounded my head into the ceiling and seriously damage my spinal cord. And then I just go into trance imagining all the horrible possbilities.

First I go to hospital, spend weeks recuperating, get back out, go on another bus, refuse to go down the back for fear of what happened last time, and then getting in a big argument with all the other people for not moving down until finally I relent, move down and I snap my neck again.

And then I realise what I've been thinking about for the last couple of minutes and scold myself for being so ridiculously self-indulgent.

In all these situations I imagine, I actively think about the logical explanations I would give to people, who, in these masochistic fanatasies, are always completely irrational and lead me to further unjust harm.

I never decide to imagine these things, they just leap into my consciousness without my realising it. And the thing is, there's always part of me that enjoys it.

I mean you could analyse this to death and say that I fanatsize (Ne) about being in unsafe situations (Si) and think of logical explanations (Ti) to reason against emotional unrational antagonists (immature Fe Anima) but I just want to know if this happens to anybody else......

....and whether I should seek professional help for some kind of persecution anxiety.
    Being encircled by thoughts of injustices befalling you is a very common thing among radical introverted types.

This is the case because we are so uncomfortable with the external world, that we deem whatever occurences may happen there as negative, almost by default.

Moreover, introversion is a subject, or self-oriented attitude. Thus, we see the world not as an end in itself, nor take it for granted, but assess the external world in terms of how it relates to us. Thus, from the perspective of such an introverted attitude, an injustice isnt relevant unless it relates to us. Therefore the introvert is concerned mostly with injustices that relate to him directly.

INTP is the most internally focused type. Generally, their judgment of introverted thinking is emotionally neutral, however because we are much uncomfortable with feeling, our value judgments are neutral. Hence, from the standpoint of analysis, ideas we process could be either just or unjust, yet often enveloped in negative feelings. Especially the case in unhealthy or off balance INTPs whose Feeling faculties are neglected.

A)You're concerned more with unjust external occurences than with just because you have a negative attitude towards the external world.
    B) When the above situations become personal, the negativity increases by virtue of your negative Fe factor.
    C)All of those events are accentuated in the regard that they relate to you due to the factor of introversion.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

For years after the Columbine shootings I would imagine the same thing happening at my school. I would make mental plans as to where to duck, how to manipulate everyone into a secure and easily defendable area, then I'd inevitably be shot in the gut just as I throw a blunt object toward the shooter's head. I still make escape plans.

When I was a wee lass I would have fantasies as being an enigmatic and independent orphan, probably being chased by a cruel uncle or the circus I escaped. It was all very romantic.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Being encircled by thoughts of injustices befalling you is a very common thing among radical introverted types.

This is the case because we are so uncomfortable with the external world, that we deem whatever occurences may happen there as negative, almost by default.

I think you're right, I am unaturally introverted, militantly so. The strange thing is when I have these thoughts I actually kind of enjoy them in a self absorbing way. I imagine the arguments I would have with irrational people, and I end up with quite refined, yet pointless, points.

It's like a miniature episode of Curb your Enthusiasm going through my head every day.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post

INTP is the most internally focused type.

Why is this?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Why is this?

Intuition leads to a higher attunement with the mind than with the senses. This is a pull inwards.

Thinking is a bonus. (Notice how in the case of NT/NF types, the N cultivates either T or F). Thinking is a tough-minded attitude and therefore does better to preserve its own element than Feeling. (So the INTP is ahead of the INFP in this regard.)
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

heart on fire

Ever since I was a small child I fantasized about unjust things happening to me and I find myself still doing it today. I'll just start thinking about some terrible injustice happening to me and after a minute I'll break out of it realising where I've just been.
    I do this, but with me it is something happening to someone I care about. Sometimes I wonder if it is trying to figure out how I would cope with something that seems unbearable.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    For years after the Columbine shootings I would imagine the same thing happening at my school. I would make mental plans as to where to duck, how to manipulate everyone into a secure and easily defendable area, then I'd inevitably be shot in the gut just as I throw a blunt object toward the shooter's head. I still make escape plans....
    Hmm, I had forgotten all about doing that... I don't do it nearly as much now. Back then, just making a phone call to someone I didn't know well (or at all) was enough for me to roleplay the scenario in my head countless times... then being frustrated when I could not perform up to the "optimal solution" I had figured out.

... The strange thing is when I have these thoughts I actually kind of enjoy them in a self absorbing way. I imagine the arguments I would have with irrational people, and I end up with quite refined, yet pointless, points.
    Yes, because they were refined in situations that will probably never occur exactly that way, thus making the refinements useless (?).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I do this, but with me it is something happening to someone I care about. Sometimes I wonder if it is trying to figure out how I would cope with something that seems unbearable.
    Actually, yeah. On occasion I might hear a report on the news about a car accident and my mind will wonder what would happen if it was somebody I knew, and then who would tell me, what would my reaction be, what would happen, etc.

Most of the time it's other people - mostly people quite close to me. Rarely it involves me (in a sort of 'What would happen if this plane crashed?' way).

I don't get any enjoyment out of it, but neither does it really worry/scare me... my mind just emotionlessly goes through the motions of how a situation like that might play out.

Um, yeah. *shrug*
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

I'll be on a bus or something, and being fairly tall, when I stand towards the back of the bus my head touches the roof. Then I imagine what would happen if the bus went over a bump and pounded my head into the ceiling and seriously damage my spinal cord. And then I just go into trance imagining all the horrible possbilities.
    Interesting situation, and yes, I can identify with it, the assessment of the situation (wherever I am) happens on a subconscious level, but I am not enough of "P" to indulge into passive observation of the "horrible" consequences that could befall me, instead I subconsciously assume much safer position.. sort of like avoiding problems before they even become problems, I could say it has served me reasonably well so far ..
    --- male, INTx (56,56,67,+/-16)% Princeton, NJ 08540 ---