User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: INTP emotions.

Default INTP emotions.

How do I open myself up more to the world of emotion?

I havent been particularly happy/content over the last 3 years which means that my general extreme of emotion has been sadness. So I've done a lot of crying (a lot in relation to me). Although a "negative" emotion, when crying it made/makes me feel so alive! It makes me feel in touch with people and want to hug everyone and it sort of gives me more direction. Direction for what I want/need in life I guess. Commonly I'm in various states of indifference but crying sort of makes a lightbulb go off in my head and i suddenly know what I want in life, namely more emotion and some love. It's as though the fog clears and I can suddenly see the compass.

Help?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I like your username. Efficient and Applicable.

Yeah, emotion seems to be the "fire of life". And if your not good at controlling it, it gets too weak and too strong.

Do what I do. I talk to people. That seems to help (me).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The challenge I've had over my entire life is to avoid emotional extremes. If my emotional state over time were a spectrum, I'd spend 90% of my time at one end, the other, or smack dab in the middle (i.e. pure emotional apathy).

My most effective means to combat this is to force myself to occasionally slow down and take stock of small things in life that I usually don't take time to appreciate. I spend so much time lost inside my own head that sometimes I don't even notice things that would bring about a positive emotional response. Just little stuff like nice weather, good food, etc. At the same time, I try to lessen the impact of emotional lows by using Si to recall similar (seemingly cataclysmic) life events that ended up turning out fine. I'm getting better about this as the years pass.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Could you induce a crying state and then ask yourself how you could go about feeling emotions more? That would be a good time to contemplate that question and jot down some ideas. You could then mold those ideas into a personal practice, like a daily regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Could you induce a crying state and then ask yourself how you could go about feeling emotions more? That would be a good time to contemplate that question and jot down some ideas. You could then mold those ideas into a personal practice, like a daily regimen.
    That is a good idea. Off the top of my head I perhaps already know how to help myself.... for instance start to trust people and speak out without fear of humiliation in order to make myself vunerable and open to sincere connection with people.

But is it really possible for someone to sort of rationally create more emotion? if that makes sense. Perhaps INTPs have a strong grip on their minds and so they have to "let go" of their very capable grip on emotion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by rememberthisusername View Post
    That is a good idea. Off the top of my head I perhaps already know how to help myself.... for instance start to trust people and speak out without fear of humiliation in order to make myself vunerable and open to sincere connection with people.
    I like that.

But is it really possible for someone to sort of rationally create more emotion? if that makes sense. Perhaps INTPs have a strong grip on their minds and so they have to "let go" of their very capable grip on emotion.
    I think you could do things to create emotions, sure. You watch sad movies and volunteer at a hospital. Do you want to feel the feelings you already have, or manufacture new feelings? Are you specifically looking for something strong like sadness to induce that feeling of intimacy and openness?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

That's weird.
    Crying isn't an emotion, btw. It's a way of getting rid of emotional byproducts. That's why you feel better. I'm guessing you're lonely and depressed. Go out and meet people - they induce shiploads of emotion. Don't sit and cry and write about it. That's morose and self-indulgent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Your "feely" function is Fe.... and its inferior... so whats inferior Fe look like and how do we as INTPs use it?

For me Fe is sort of like the last resort when everything I'm used to doing isn't working Fe comes out

This isn't always a bad thing... it could be as simple as you explaining something rationally to someone... giving some smart ass Si fueled remark and then when they don't understand you don't get the desired result... some INTPs give up at this point... healthy INTPs master Fe and give off that warm innocent raw emotion that INTPs DO have

As for your crying... sounds irrelevant to type

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by rememberthisusername View Post
    How do I open myself up more to the world of emotion?
    Get an emotion chip.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by suchirony View Post
    Get an emotion chip.
    Better not. They tend to short out under stress, and need replacing every year or so. Not a good investment.
    "Those are my principles and if you don't like them......well, I have others"

-Groucho Marx

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

- Frederich Nietzsche