User Tag List

First 12

Thread: INTP emotions.

MBTI
    intP

Meditation helped me get more in tune with my emotions. Simply learning to recognize and acknowledge my emotional state has helped me understand the cause/effect dynamics of my emotions.

One thing i realized was that most of my negative emotions were self induced, the result of stressful ruminations. There is no upside to such ruminations. Conveniently, meditating with the intent to acknowledge but not pursue or otherwise react to thoughts is a good way to learn to get out of circular, stressful ruminations.

When your own actions don't cause you stress, it becomes easier to explore and take risks and seek out what causes you positive emotions.

YMMV but meditation taught me to better manage my peace of mind.

Edit: And exercise more. Its a good way to make you feel alive.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Talk.
    For me, that always helped just temporarily, but in long terms, I stayed in the mood I already had(though I'm a person who can talk talk talk and so on [I guess due to a strong Ne, but I'm not sure], so it's nothing special for me). Is it really helping all of you?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    For me, that always helped just temporarily, but in long terms, I stayed in the mood I already had(though I'm a person who can talk talk talk and so on due to a strong Ne, so it's nothing special for me). Is it really helping all of you?
    Yesh.. the greater the number of people, the greater the social stress, the greater the amount of psychological emotions evoked, the better the exercise, the better.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

On the talking subject, I agree, to a degree. When I am having trouble with my emotions it is good to express them, but not all the time, and only to 1 or 2 close confidantes. I'd prefer the majority of the people I know to remain completely ignorant ofr my emotions.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by suttree View Post
    Meditation helped me get more in tune with my emotions. Simply learning to recognize and acknowledge my emotional state has helped me understand the cause/effect dynamics of my emotions.

One thing i realized was that most of my negative emotions were self induced, the result of stressful ruminations. There is no upside to such ruminations. Conveniently, meditating with the intent to acknowledge but not pursue or otherwise react to thoughts is a good way to learn to get out of circular, stressful ruminations.
    Can you say more about how you used meditation to get more in tune with your emotions? I am trying to address this problem in myself, but with little success. I feel as though I am just grasping at straws, with no real plan/method/idea of how to go about it. I agree with the highlighted. I have long had the sense that if only I could change my perspective, many things that bother me would cease to do so. I am already quite familiar with the power of shifting perspectives when it comes to thoughts, but much less so with emotions.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I agree with the highlighted. I have long had the sense that if only I could change my perspective, many things that bother me would cease to do so. I am already quite familiar with the power of shifting perspectives when it comes to thoughts, but much less so with emotions.
    I can also fall into the tendency highlighted. Usually when I think too much about something that feels unpleasant and that is actually quite straightforward. Personally, I find that I can get over the ruminating problem with such emotions when I just experience the emotion without thinking about it or trying to change it, and when it is felt through to the bottom and the end, it's job is done and it passes. Emotions are not as controllable in the same way as thoughts.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    intP

I guess I would say learning to meditate taught me to use the volume knob on my thoughts, making them easier to ignore. Turning down the volume on thinking helped me to focus on just feeling, getting in tune with my other internal processes. I know it sounds like mumbo-jumbo but I try to observe my thoughts "like ripples on a lake;" observe them, recognize them, and let them naturally attenuate. Soon after, other gut-level stuff becomes more noticeable. Is that an adequate explanation?

There's nothing magical or spiritual about it for me. I spend maybe a half hour a week sitting upright and still, breathing deeply. I may look silly but I think its worth my time. When I was a high school teacher, I would use meditative breathing all the time to manage stress in the face of crazy teenagers. I do believe it has a real, immediate effect on stress hormones.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Thanks, Gerbah and Suttree. Both your comments are helpful. I just need to think more about this, and give some of these techniques a try.