• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Are INTPs the J-est P's?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I was just thinking, about despite the fact that I'm usually not terribly goal interested, have little desire for power and all that, that I do have a lot of J traits, but these traits are often associated with INTPs. Because of the introverted thinking I suppose we always (almost) think actions through before taking them and we will often take many precautions. This tendency to extensively analyse every situation is similar to the J's planning ahead. Also, our desire for logical correctness often extends to organisation which is rather J like.

Do you agree? What type do you think displays the most J-like traits that is not a J?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Some of that is true, but in other ways, like with procrastination and avoiding commitments, INTPs are the P-est.

So I call it a wash.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say no. I'm just a whole bucket of procrastination. Js actually make decisions and keep to them whereas INTPs are too whimsical. We use Ti as an excuse to keep "researching" to avoid actively making a choice and keeping to it. That's very non-J.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say it seems like STPs are the J-est Ps, they have an directive interaction style that most Js have and they are known to be "doers". Thinking before acting is more of an introvert trait, I don't know how you got that confused with being a judger. In fact, INTPs are probably the least type concerned with external order and decisions(they have Fe as their last function, and that is not as "organized" as Te.(P.S., you don't have to be a judger to make a plan, but following through on the plan seems to be an judger strength that I envy).

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Well it's planning and such. I dunno. I never thought ISTPs were much for thinking about things in detail and preparing like INTPs often do when they analyse things. Most Ps will just head straight in, but INTPs tend to make sure they are completely prepared for whatever it is.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well it's planning and such. I dunno. I never thought ISTPs were much for thinking about things in detail and preparing like INTPs often do when they analyse things. Most Ps will just head straight in, but INTPs tend to make sure they are completely prepared for whatever it is.

ISTPs need a plan of action even more than INTPs, they have a chart the course style(even though it may look like implusive action). What you said about INTPs being prepared is not completely true for all INTPs(I'm certainly not prepared :cheese:), it might be true for the ones you've encountered, but definitely not true for all INTPs. Do you know the difference between perceivers and judgers? Perceivers prefer extroverted perception on dealing with the external world and judgers prefer extroverted judgement on dealing with the external world.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
we use J function as a first function, but J MBTI types come from using the J function extroverted. So yes we use J function alot, but using a J function doesent make you J type. its same with infp, istp and isfp. but unlike the ifp types we tend to express these traits of J function more readily since we dont usually(or as automatically) think about as much how others might feel about what we say.

why the heck should people hurt their feelings if we point out some logical inconsistencies? it just doesent make any sense if you think it with logic, because its a good thing to notice that i am wrong, so that i can be right and get out of this illusion that i thought was right. but sometimes we tend to forget that others doesent work like this, and we blurt out logic that might make us look bit like TJ types. this doesent mean that we are close like J types, because the J type comes from using extroverted decision making function(Je), not from using or showing much of introverted decision making function(Ji).

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Fair enough. The people I know who seem to be ISTPs (maybe they're F's then, though they seemed rather logically based) are lazy and casual and just go with whatever suits their fancy. But I guess most types can be lazy, and I'm sure a lot of them probably do plan more than I think. It's just if I am planning on going to do something I will run over all sorts of possible situations in my head and create ideas for how to react in each of them. They don't always work though.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's just if I am planning on going to do something I will run over all sorts of possible situations in my head and create ideas for how to react in each of them.

i do the exact same thing

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
why the heck should people hurt their feelings if we point out some logical inconsistencies? it just doesent make any sense if you think it with logic, because its a good thing to notice that i am wrong, so that i can be right and get out of this illusion that i thought was right. but sometimes we tend to forget that others doesent work like this, and we blurt out logic that might make us look bit like TJ types. this doesent mean that we are close like J types, because the J type comes from using extroverted decision making function(Je), not from using or showing much of introverted decision making function(Ji).

Yeah, that's another thing I was thinking, about how we do do a lot of judging and criticism in order to create improvement. My ISFP friend got incredibly frustrated with me because we were working on a project, she got an idea and just wanted to run with it, but I was picking at it, taking it apart and trying to put it back together in a more effective way. Then she got pissed off at me and wouldn't talk for the rest of the lesson. -_-

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fair enough. The people I know who seem to be ISTPs (maybe they're F's then, though they seemed rather logically based) are lazy and casual and just go with whatever suits their fancy. But I guess most types can be lazy, and I'm sure a lot of them probably do plan more than I think. It's just if I am planning on going to do something I will run over all sorts of possible situations in my head and create ideas for how to react in each of them. They don't always work though.

Everybody is not going to be exacty like the type descriptions says, I think it's good you have some organization in your life, but is it internal or external, ALL Ps have some kind of internal organization as their dom or aux(I still don't think that's the right word for it but uh). Some of these personality traits have little to do with type too, like being organized could be because of upbringing, the current situation ect. So there will be asshole-ish, selfish feelers, messy judgers, outgoing introverts, emotional thinkers, and shy extroverts.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking about the dom ter loops an INTP can get into, like the TiSi loop(if you know what that is), that would make them unusually cautious and risk-averse, possibly making them seem very prepared(mirroring ISJs). Then I thought about a ESFP in a SeTe(or ENFP in NeTe) loop, I think that might be the closest a P will get to being J-ish(mirroring ETJs). Many of the characteristics of judging in MBTI is mainly centered on extroverted thinking, I've heard a few FJs say they don't completely conform to all the judger traits, like being very organized and efficient. A EFP in a dom-ter loop will definitely display the most "judger" characteristics out of all the perceivers, there's your anwser.

This especially made sense looking at my sister who is an ENFP, I think she has strong Te and can be extremely bossy and anxious if things don't go her way(this made it hell to grow up with her), sometimes she just doesn't display the usually light-hearted, airy, jovial ENFP traits, this made me question her type until I learned about the functions(she could be mistaken for a judger to someone new to her). But in alot of ways she is still more disorganized than I am, but I am waaaaaaaay more laidback and accommodating than she'll ever be.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most Ps will just head straight in, but INTPs tend to make sure they are completely prepared for whatever it is.

I think introversion plays a role in hestitancy to jump in.

I'd say it seems like STPs are the J-est Ps, they have an directive interaction style that most Js have and they are known to be "doers". Thinking before acting is more of an introvert trait, I don't know how you got that confused with being a judger. In fact, INTPs are probably the least type concerned with external order and decisions(they have Fe as their last function, and that is not as "organized" as Te.(P.S., you don't have to be a judger to make a plan, but following through on the plan seems to be an judger strength that I envy).

I'd say ESTP is the J-est looking P for the reasons you describe above. I agree that thinking before acting is more an introverted trait than a judging one.

One thing that's confusing is according to some sources, it makes it sound like Ps just jump in without thinking while according to other sources, Ps want sufficient information before taking action. I guess the former would be more common with EPs, the latter with IPs.

I know for myself, I care far more about internal order than external. Once I've made a plan, I do like to be able to follow through on it though. (I have a weak P preference).

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
Thanks for explaining all this guys. I can see where you're all coming from, and the different sorts of planning involved with Ti and Te.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say ESTP is the J-est looking P for the reasons you describe above.

ESTPs and ENTJs share some surface traits too, ESTPs are sometimes mistaken for a ENTJs, they both have a in-charge interaction style.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One thing that's confusing is according to some sources, it makes it sound like Ps just jump in without thinking while according to other sources, Ps want sufficient information before taking action. I guess the former would be more common with EPs, the latter with IPs.

Yeah that's another thing, EPs actually seem more decisive than IPs but then IPs seem far less implusive than EPs, and then I've heard a few ENPs say they are not implusive, so it mainly seems like a Se trait, I would say IPs are probably the most indecisive group, even though I have internal principles/standards or whatever I feel like they are always changing when new information comes in, which is like all the time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that the "risk-management" aspects of INTPs -- to be frugal on commitment -- can seem J, but come on... the P is insanely obvious due to Ne whimsy and lack of external structuring.

EVERYTHING is open-ended... everything.

You'll really only see the J of Ti (which is a Ji function) from the demand for great nuance in how an idea is qualified/expressed. That's where the anal/finicky aspects really can come out. There can also be a big judgment expressed on behavior and thinking the INTP considers irrational, especially if it infringes on her freedom.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think introversion plays a role in hestitancy to jump in.

Yup. I often score as a weak J on typical typing tests, and I think that has a lot to do with it. Those tests try to score each of the four scales separately, and sometimes that doesn't work so well. On J/P questions, the P answers often say things like, "I react quickly and improvise" or "I tend to be impulsive". More true of ExxPs than IxxPs.

Also, since J/P describes how one relates to the outer world, the preference is more "out-there" and obvious in extroverts. So extroverted Ps are easier to spot than introverted ones, and the same is true for Js.

Lenore Thomson wrote in her book, "Extreme extroverts...may find that their self-experience coincides almost entirely with their P or J traits. For extreme introverts, the opposite is true".

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lenore Thomson wrote in her book, "Extreme extroverts...may find that their self-experience coincides almost entirely with their P or J traits. For extreme introverts, the opposite is true".

I'm a pretty strong introvert and I feel messy and disorganized(very P) as shit, I'm a dominant introverted thinker, I don't think that statement holds up very well.