• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Countering the introverted tendency with brain training??

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
You know how genuine introverts (i'm not talking shy people, I mean the neurological kind) are introverts due to the fact that they completely freak out with too much stimuli? Generally this is why I think I'm moving towards the INTP camp rather than ENTP: because although I sometimes hold/held ENTP tendencies (all of which will be gone by the time i finish this thread), I freak the fuck out during a disco and social events tend to be draining. Apparently this is due to the higher-state arousal that we introverts have in our PFC. Thus it sucks the life out of us to process all that information over time.

I've thought of a mild counter to that tendency: give us more processing power.

By that I mean literally training the brain so that it can handle more things at once and flip through them more effortlessly. have you guys ever heard of n-back?

Brain Workshop - a Dual N-Back game
Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence | Google Groups

N-back is basically a game where you're supposed to remember a bunch of periodically flashed stimuli, n times ago. It's kind of like playing Snap/Match, except much more hardcore.

The major boon given to n-back is the supposed fluid IQ increase (think basic smarts rather than knowledge application) that you get by improving this so called "working memory". Overall, the link between the two is sketchy, but it wouldn't hurt to have more of it. People have reported numerous benefits, like greater motivation, easier to tackle problems etc. The ones who reduced the trials between stimuli to less than one second report getting more "processing speed".

I figure that if we work on making processing and thoughts more "effortless", then we can more easily process the external environment and then everything else just becomes superficial habit changing. Of course, this could completely backfire, because we're actually sending MORE blood/activity to the pre-frontal cortex, so we could actually become MORE pensive :p meh.

PS remind me never to write stuff after an IQ test, I'm fagged

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Wow, now that's the kind of analysis I'd expect from an INTP!

Good luck with your brain training and countering your introvert tendencies, but I do hope that you realize that introversion is not just about processing more things faster. It's very much about taking an genuine interest in the world around you rather than the one inside your head as well.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very interesting. I'm slightly confused though that there would be more activity in the prefrontal cortex of an introvert as opposed to an extravert. Or are you saying that it the pfc of an introvert can't handle as much processing as that of an extravert? My knowledge of neuroscience is very limited, but this sounds like an interesting idea.

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Very interesting. I'm slightly confused though that there would be more activity in the prefrontal cortex of an introvert as opposed to an extravert. Or are you saying that it the pfc of an introvert can't handle as much processing as that of an extravert? My knowledge of neuroscience is very limited, but this sounds like an interesting idea.

Extroverts have more blood flowing to their senses rather than the prefrontal cortex. Introverts can handle more information, but it tends to be a bit more internalized.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
So I'm wrong. As far as I know, N-Back training activates the PFC and results in dopamine receptor neurogenesis there, rather than the mesolimbic pathway.

bleeeeh

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroverts have more blood flowing to their senses rather than the prefrontal cortex. Introverts can handle more information, but it tends to be a bit more internalized.

I see. Well, that makes sense. I can definitely attest to having a disconnect with the world around me. I'd have thought this was true for all NTs though, not just INTPs and INTJs. Maybe it's true to a lesser degree for ENTPs and ENTJs?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love that idea and analysis.

And maybe a nutritional approach, too... here is my musing.

NOTE: I am not a doctor and I am not and will not be responsible for any effects of this should anyone bravely/foolishly try it. I don't recommend anyone try this without consulting a medical authority. I hear toying around with dopamine levels can cause serious problems (trigger seizures, etc.)

I read somewhere that introverts have a lower tolerance for dopamine than extroverts do. So if you could theoretically consistently expose yourself to a gradually-increasing level of dopamine, you could build up a tolerance level to that of extroverts. And this would make you more neurologically similar to extroverts.

To increase dopamine levels, one could eat more foods containing L-Tyrosine. Levels also increase by activating the reward circuitry of the brain - so engage in lots of indulgences. Eat sweets, listen to loud music, have sex, etc. Done consistently, but gradually, you'll get used to it. Kind of like how a constant noise just becomes background noise, and you'd suddenly notice and be uncomfortable with the relative silence if it stopped.

Now this begs the issue of correlation =/= cause and chicken or the egg conundrum, but that's my thought.

Hmm...notice that stereotypical extroverts are ALWAYS engaging in primal fun. :wink: They could've been training themselves without knowing it. :D

(Now I wonder...maybe pregnant mothers who live in noisy environments (while pregnant of course) are more prone to give birth to extroverts? Just because of the stimulation-dopamine effects?)

And now I sound like a total crackpot. *puts down the pipe*

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I just realized that I can't stand chocolate, it's too rich. I wonder if that's any indication of anything.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just realized that I can't stand chocolate, it's too rich. I wonder if that's any indication of anything.

Do you feel calorically guilty for eating rich foods, or do you genuinely think it tastes gross?

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Do you feel calorically guilty for eating rich foods, or do you genuinely think it tastes gross?

I'm skinny as fuck, so "caloric guilt" would probably have nothing to do with it. Downing a double quarter pounder with cheese is great but I feel like shit afterwards (who wouldn't).

No, it's just that it feels like it takes up too much of my mouth. It's excessive. I eat chocolate ice cream, chocolate milk, cake. Bars, nope.

Although I like the idea.

Maybe meditate to make anxiety more manageable?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm skinny as fuck, so "caloric guilt" would probably have nothing to do with it. Downing a double quarter pounder with cheese is great but I feel like shit afterwards (who wouldn't).

No, it's just that it feels like it takes up too much of my mouth. It's excessive. I eat chocolate ice cream, chocolate milk, cake. Bars, nope.

Although I like the idea.

Maybe meditate to make anxiety more manageable?

Lies! Quarter Pounders have all the food groups represented. :p

And actually, I think there's a certain kind of yoga that's been proven to boost dopamine levels as well. A one-two punch.

That should do it. I act like an ESFP when drunk. :)

Everyone acts like an ESFP when they're drunk. :smile:

Except for real ESFPs. They act like ENFJs.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was under the impression that introverts are more sensitive to outside stimuli, and therefore require far less to be satisfied/saturated. Extraverts are less sensitive, and therefore require larger "doses" to experience the same effect.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I was under the impression that introverts are more sensitive to outside stimuli, and therefore require far less to be satisfied/saturated. Extraverts are less sensitive, and therefore require larger "doses" to experience the same effect.

But could we affect that threshold? The brain is so very, very plastic.

A. Zhang

MBTI Type
ENTJ

You're only half right.

Extroverts are the ones who are more sensitive to outside stimuli.

The thresholds are correct though.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP