• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Anger issues in different NTs

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's always been hard to make me angry, but when it happened, it usually ended in an outburst of violence. After that I'd be completely normal and it'd scare the shit out of anyone who saw it. Now I just get quiet, think about why I'm angry and how to fix the situation.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I don't get angry very often. When I do get angry with someone I usually talk slowly, deliberately, and loudly with a "I'm really trying not to hurt you" look on my face. I've been told I'm pretty scary. I've never been violent in anger unless you count getting double overhooks to restrain an angry ex.

I cuss at electronic devices pretty often. Sometimes I'll turn them off out of spite, that shuts them up.

T

ThatGirl

I wouldn't say I have anger issues. As a matter of fact if I do get angry it's probably because YOU have an issue.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't get angry very often. Usually what I feel is a sort of simmering irritation. If I do get truly angry, it will come in violent flashes immediately after being physically harmed. If someone else accidentally hurts me in a more than trivial fashion, I may lash back out at them immediately, if they're in reach. But I usually calm back down almost instantly so it doesn't happen very often.

annnie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Blow up quickly over 'trivial' things (computers not behaving seems to feature quite heavily!) but also get over it very quickly and - perhaps most scary to people - can be going into a huge nonsensical rant (that's totally not my real views) and actually hear myself and burst out laughing mid rant!!

I don't recall actually losing my temper in the normal sense or being the first one to use violence.

Mostly for me it's about feeling powerless to do something that 'should' be straightforward in the face of what I see as small minded and petty rules or silly stuff going wrong etc.

"The government" (of whatever party) are liable to make me angry in a more chronic sense as their policies always seem to disadvantage the hardworking and intelligent :shock: but that mostly results in a lower level sense of helplessness...

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
When it is something trivial and I'm in a bad mood already, I will freak out with anger. I will take anyone down with me and (very childishly, though not on purpose) will end up saying horrible things to people. I tend to withdraw emotionally aside from the anger, and I just let it consume me. It doesn't last long, but when it happens it's probably a scary sight.

Big things? I let the anger fester inside of me and I put on a calm, collected face as I imagine poking everyone with a sharp fucking stick. I'll fester and stew about what to do with my anger, working out, throwing myself into things, and then I'll explode at a time where it doesn't make sense. I say explode in the sense where I will be extremely attached and sarcastic, as if I'm a third party in the situation. I've gotten better about this as I've gotten older and have been trying to talk things out with people rather than the unhealthy way above, but it's difficult for me to change.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I ususally sigh and set my mind on something else.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My anger tends to be acrimonious, not explosive.

Acrimonious:
Characterized by bitterness or sharpness of manner, speech, temper, etc.

Whenever I'm REALLY angry, I feel like I'm dripping with blistering cold acid.

tedboles

MBTI Type
ENtP
Most of the time when I get angry it's over something silly.

I get road rage pretty bad but I usually just say something awful to the offending driver, or if I'm really pissed I will honk.

If it's a waitress or some guy behind a counter that makes me mad, I usually try and hold it in 'till I can bitch about it to someone later.

I can be pretty dickish sometimes. I usually am pretty relaxed about most things, however.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on the source. Typically, I compartmentalize my anger, identify why, and it sort of... dissipates. Like how a heat sink works to cool a processor. By intellectualizing anger, part of the explosive properties of mine are removed. I'll vent it verbally in sarcasm or in the verbal abuse of the person that made me mad. When expressed this way, it seems cold.

Where my anger is explosive is when I am physically hurt. Then, my reaction is immediate and arguably over the top. Like this morning. I hit my head on my shower bar, screamed, "FUCK!" as loud as I could, and I hit it. For some reason, I treat physical pain as the environment doing something to me, so I do something to the environment. I hurt it back! Childish, but I can't seem to shake it.

I was much worse as a teen. I've mellowed out.

:solidarity:

I thought I was the only one who did that. I kicked a bottle of ketchup all the way across the kitchen when it fell on me from a high shelf the other day. And I shout obscenities too.

I don't really do this in public though. I just glare at the offending item and vow revenge after dark.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is broadening it from NT types, but also I think Js are far more likely to hold grudges, aren't they...maybe IxxJs in particular?

There about a half dozen people in my life that I hold a grudge against. It's not easy to do and requires them to go out of their way to cause me personal damage. Come to think of it is generally people who don't know me well. Those assholes. It makes me angry just thinking about it.

This is probably far too general a question...but I am curious about how the different NT types feel, express and deal with anger. Outbursts? Cold withdrawals? Get over it quickly? Brood forever?

A general breakdown for the four NT types would be great. Cheers!

I'm not someone to let things build up. I tend to express it one way or another. A good night's sleep does wonders to put things in perspective though.