User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NT Control

Default NT Control

I posted this post in another thread and find myself always wondering about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    ENTJ: To be in control
    This control comment always causes an internal loop of yes, no, why, but. Need to think about it more. Not so much denial but understanding the source, to validate or reject.
    I don't deny that ENTJs want control. But why do we?

Add in that all Ts appear to have control issues whether it's control of themselves, control of their environments or control...period.

Can anyone explain why Te/Ti reacts this way? What causes us to be this way? Pop psychology dictates that it's an element of insecurity. Is it really?

Sorry for the textual diarrhea format.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Could you please explain what you mean by control? There's a huge difference between wanting control over oneself (self-discipline), over people (dictator), or over the environment (inventor). Either way, I doubt that there are too many insecure ENTJs and INTJs.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Perhaps?

Ti - Self-control

Te - over people

Pe - over environment

Perhaps it has to do with Feeling Functions and therefore predominates in those with either Inferior F or a weak Tertiary F.

I, myself, want control but that kinda contradicts with my "lazy" outlook. Inferior Fe, perhaps creates my self-directional desires. Or perhaps it's really that T?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Te wants control over the environment, and people just happen to be a part of that, or rather an annoying, useless obstacle to many who use Te.

I'd say Fe wants that same control though but focuses on controlling people for their own benefit.

I'd say Fi and Ti yearn for control over their own actions, their own freedom and are allergic to being controlled, as they seek an absolute truth that is highly subjective

As to the reason for a Te-dom to want control? I'd wager it's becoz it allows you to predict and counter what's coming your way. After all, life tosses you curveballs all the time and with strategic planning you can bend those curveballs to your advantage, allowing you to come out on top. It's about having a say what happens to you, what the future brings, as much as possible.

Interestingly, the part of the definition of stress is the inability to predict the future, or the inability to do something about a future outcome you know is coming and you really rather avoid.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

If you do not control things then they may not turn out as desired. There is a specific desire laid out and a small chance that things will randomly work out that way. Ergo it requires controlling.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Ti - Self-control
    Rings true for me.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If you do not control things then they may not turn out as desired. There is a specific desire laid out and a small chance that things will randomly work out that way. Ergo it requires controlling.
    Yes, the T function and its two directions of expression are detached by nature. You see "how things need to work" to achieve the desired goal and so you need control to make that happen; otherwise, chaos and incoherence rules. There are different spheres of control that appeal to different types.

Then again, F is a judging/decision-making function and can be controlling as well, just for different reasons.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, the T function and its two directions of expression are detached by nature. You see "how things need to work" to achieve the desired goal and so you need control to make that happen; otherwise, chaos and incoherence rules. There are different spheres of control that appeal to different types.

Then again, F is a judging/decision-making function and can be controlling as well, just for different reasons.
    Isn't that the oft rehashed controlling vs manipulative differentiation?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Te wants control over the environment, and people just happen to be a part of that, or rather an annoying, useless obstacle to many who use Te.

I'd say Fe wants that same control though but focuses on controlling people for their own benefit.

I'd say Fi and Ti yearn for control over their own actions, their own freedom and are allergic to being controlled, as they seek an absolute truth that is highly subjective

As to the reason for a Te-dom to want control? I'd wager it's becoz it allows you to predict and counter what's coming your way. After all, life tosses you curveballs all the time and with strategic planning you can bend those curveballs to your advantage, allowing you to come out on top. It's about having a say what happens to you, what the future brings, as much as possible.

Interestingly, the part of the definition of stress is the inability to predict the future, or the inability to do something about a future outcome you know is coming and you really rather avoid.
    can you do the other functions??
    5 3 9

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

..eh..do? With regards to control or?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”