User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: NT Control

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Te wants control over the environment, and people just happen to be a part of that, or rather an annoying, useless obstacle to many who use Te.

I'd say Fe wants that same control though but focuses on controlling people for their own benefit.

I'd say Fi and Ti yearn for control over their own actions, their own freedom and are allergic to being controlled, as they seek an absolute truth that is highly subjective

As to the reason for a Te-dom to want control? I'd wager it's becoz it allows you to predict and counter what's coming your way. After all, life tosses you curveballs all the time and with strategic planning you can bend those curveballs to your advantage, allowing you to come out on top. It's about having a say what happens to you, what the future brings, as much as possible.

Interestingly, the part of the definition of stress is the inability to predict the future, or the inability to do something about a future outcome you know is coming and you really rather avoid.
    I love this explanation of Te-dom since it's plausible and also palatable.

And yet, the cynical side to me says there's something more to it, something darker. It's a place I keep digging at and can't seem to reach a conclusion that rings true hence the looping conflict.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Grin..power's seductive. It feels good to be able to take charge and come out on top, it makes you all giddy. It's hard to fess up that you cannot control *everything*, and not easy to deal with it when it does happen, especially if you've been on top for a looong time. Also..it blankets the insecurity for a bit. It takes it away, and insecurity is a bitch of a feeling. But when it comes crashing down..that insecurity is right there to prey on you..and you'd do anything to stay away from that.

Good feelings are addictive, especially as the alternative isn't fun. So...people go to great lengths and are willing to sacrifice a lot...often their own principles, stay on top, and feel secure
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Perhaps?

Ti - Self-control

Te - over people

Pe - over environment

Perhaps it has to do with Feeling Functions and therefore predominates in those with either Inferior F or a weak Tertiary F.

I, myself, want control but that kinda contradicts with my "lazy" outlook. Inferior Fe, perhaps creates my self-directional desires. Or perhaps it's really that T?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If you do not control things then they may not turn out as desired. There is a specific desire laid out and a small chance that things will randomly work out that way. Ergo it requires controlling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, the T function and its two directions of expression are detached by nature. You see "how things need to work" to achieve the desired goal and so you need control to make that happen; otherwise, chaos and incoherence rules. There are different spheres of control that appeal to different types.

Then again, F is a judging/decision-making function and can be controlling as well, just for different reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Isn't that the oft rehashed controlling vs manipulative differentiation?
    But by extension, Ti/Pe is just like Te, isn't it?

Grin..power's seductive. It feels good to be able to take charge and come out on top, it makes you all giddy. It's hard to fess up that you cannot control *everything*, and not easy to deal with it when it does happen, especially if you've been on top for a looong time. Also..it blankets the insecurity for a bit. It takes it away, and insecurity is a bitch of a feeling. But when it comes crashing down..that insecurity is right there to prey on you..and you'd do anything to stay away from that.

Good feelings are addictive, especially as the alternative isn't fun. So...people go to great lengths and are willing to sacrifice a lot...often their own principles, stay on top, and feel secure
    Ka pow darlin'! This too is plausible and palatable as it relates to balance.

So, light side of the moon, positioning to anticipate. Dark side of the moon, cheap thrills and the cozening of insecurities! Te/Fi balance to some degree. Frightening.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Imo, the thing to remember is that bad emotions are just that: emotions that are unpleasurable. They won't kill you. They're temporary, they go away and they teach you stuff. They're there for a reason. There's no need to avoid them, and if you just ride them out you'll find you get a better handle on them with time, leaving you to be less insecure anyways, which breaks that vicious cycle, and makes you even more powerful in a very balanced way...win-win

Repressed fear can be a bad motivator (though being fearless can create similar problems as well), ime.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

After fear there is clarity.

Inferior Fi sucks. This is fact as I know it. But you're right that feelings shouldn't be feared.

Feelings should be lined up and shot.

In some ways, I mock power. What is power? It's freedom from coercion by using coercion. Hold the mirror up, embrace the hypocrisy? Bah.

Sorry for the free tripping if it makes no sense.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    After fear there is clarity.

Inferior Fi sucks. This is fact as I know it. But you're right that feelings shouldn't be feared.

Feelings should be lined up and shot.

In some ways, I mock power. What is power? It's freedom from coercion by using coercion. Hold the mirror up, embrace the hypocrisy? Bah.

Sorry for the free tripping if it makes no sense.
    I like it, very true. I too am not a fan of hypocrisy

Send your feelings my way..I'll gladly entertain them. You don't know what you're missing btw
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

I like it, very true. I too am not a fan of hypocrisy

Send your feelings my way..I'll gladly entertain them. You don't know what you're missing btw
    Baby Fi comes out in strange ways. Intensity when it's let loose. Crazy stuff.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Baby Fi comes out in strange ways. Intensity when it's let loose. Crazy stuff.
    I know..and yet it's so adorable, so genuine, so pure and warm when it attempts to comfort others, express itself..like a child, careless and free *smiles*
    It's awesome to behold...gotto love and hate the feet-stomping and pouting when it doesn't get its way though
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Work it both ways, Satine. You're a joy!