• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Sherlock Holmes - Possible INTP

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Holmes is not an INTJ. No way.

Shooting your wall is inefficient as are many of the other things Holmes does on a whim. That's why he winds Watson up who is a J.

Also there's never a hint of ESFP.

Definitely a P, probably an NT (the amazing retention of details is more ST but I've been categorising that as his "thing", his hero piece that makes him special) and never in question that he's an I unless you ask MacGuffin who'll probably theorise he's an extrovert who got scared by mice and so hates people or some such...

Oh and INTPs are not lazy, unmotivated except by specific things is not lazy... just bloody awkward. There's a difference.

Oh and that's also a sign he's an INTP not an INTJ. He keeps correcting people.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I don't think that reasoning is terribly sound. It probably could be if you were to elaborate, though.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Holmes in the movie seems much more INTP in the way the character is perceived (no pun intended) than the one in the books. However the Holmes is described in the book would suggest Te-Ni however, as in the methods and processes that occur in the characters mind. But it's the lines inbetween in the books that you don't really see in the movie.. In the movie he seems much more Ti-Ne.

But he's a screwed up character anyhow since his Se is through the roof too.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
INTJ - Efficiency is paramount
INTP - Truth and thinking are paramount

I've known an INTJ to be happy with nothing left to sort out, with everything organised and figured out... that to an INTP would be the point where something must be found to be sorted out and thought about.

Give me complex problems or give me death, I think was the sentiment made by Holmes.

Note also that Holmes makes definitions which he is happy to go back and remake given new evidence. He's constantly searching for new information and talks in possibilities. These things are more the style of a P than a J.

Oh and note no real control issues, that would not be very indicative of a J personality. Combined with the random acts done out of sheer boredom or curiosity all adds up to P not J.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
The Holmes in the books seems quite untypable. Seeing and collecting evidence like S, planning like, say, TJ, not needing (nor liking) people very much, being quite original and independent character... what do you make of that? some kind of TJ.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The Holmes in the books seems quite untypable. Seeing and collecting evidence like S, planning like, say, TJ, not needing (nor liking) people very much, being quite original and independent character... what do you make of that? some kind of TJ.
Ns can do detailed observation. It's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ns can do detailed observation. It's not necessarily a deal breaker.

The difference is that Holmes does it before anyone notices it. An N looking for clues would be rather obvious to other observers. But Holmes doesn't really observe. He just instantaniously 'sees' and concludes from everthing he sees. That is not how an N would observe in detail. It's a strong Se user capable of deducing complex thoughts based on what he takes in. It's obvious there is strong dominant Se, and the fact he takes no time to reach conclusions suggest a strong intuition as well. That's a contradiction in terms of MBTI.

Anyway, movie Holmes aside, I still think Holmes is quite untypable.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The difference is that Holmes does it before anyone notices it. An N looking for clues would be rather obvious to other observers. But Holmes doesn't really observe. He just instantaniously 'sees' and concludes from everthing he sees. That is not how an N would observe in detail. It's a strong Se user capable of deducing complex thoughts based on what he takes in. It's obvious there is strong dominant Se, and the fact he takes no time to reach conclusions suggest a strong intuition as well. That's a contradiction in terms of MBTI.
Wouldn't it be more precise to conclude that no one else is looking for that information or infers as much from it. So though an observant S user would observe the clues first they would perhaps discard the information as irrelevant as they wouldn't be using the same big picture thinking that Holmes does?
Anyway, movie Holmes aside, I still think Holmes is quite untypable.
Wait till you see the new series. It's actually not a cock up!!!

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wouldn't it be more precise to conclude that no one else is looking for that information or infers as much from it. So though an observant S user would observe the clues first they would perhaps discard the information as irrelevant as they wouldn't be using the same big picture thinking that Holmes does?

It's been some time since I read Holmes books, but my recollection is that Holmes would often just go to the crime scene without much prior knowledge, observe, and then put things together later when he gets new information. Seems like he would be able to notice and remember small details of crime scene and connect the dots later. Which N can do that? Holmes seems like a collection of best and funkiest traits of many different types, and not a believable person.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
It's been some time since I read Holmes books, but my recollection is that Holmes would often just go to the crime scene without much prior knowledge, observe, and then put things together later when he gets new information. Seems like he would be able to notice and remember small details of crime scene and connect the dots later. Which N can do that? Holmes seems like a collection of best and funkiest traits of many different types, and not a believable person.

The answer is INTP.

Dominant function is Ti, analysis. Tertiary is Si, memory. In the Ti-Si loop an INTP's mind automatically analyzes and objectively picks apart memoryand sifts through it. The result is that INTP's have prodigious memory recall, and on a whim can pull up details and memories that amaze others around (I get it a lot)

Holmes always had this ability.

As for him having Ni.

In A Study in Scarlet, Watson asked Holmes "What do you think happened?" to which Holmes responded that he doesn't make any conclusions until he sees the evidence (I will edit this post with a direct quote later on when I have access to actual book). Hunches are a big part of Ni, and if Holmes was Ni the answer would have been much different.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Sherlock Holmes' Se is pretty amazing though. He notices like the smallest physical details.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The answer is INTP.

Dominant function is Ti, analysis. Tertiary is Si, memory. In the Ti-Si loop an INTP's mind automatically analyzes and objectively picks apart memoryand sifts through it. The result is that INTP's have prodigious memory recall, and on a whim can pull up details and memories that amaze others around (I get it a lot)

Holmes always had this ability.

Yes, INTPs can have very strong memories, but it's not usually detailed memory, due to their primary extraverted perceiving function being Ne. INTJs, having Se, notice details in the environment that INTPs do not, though their memory is probably not as good.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, INTPs can have very strong memories, but it's not usually detailed memory, due to their primary extraverted perceiving function being Ne. INTJs, having Se, notice details in the environment that INTPs do not, though their memory is probably not as good.

Detail is precisely the word I would use to describe INTP memory. Ne does not denote a lack of detail, on the contrary I've found that my Ne brings in details that others completely overlook. Furthermore, tertiary Si remembers things in hindsight, and (often useless) details are very important to our memories. The way I understand it, Se translates to General but wider while Si is specific but narrow?

Also bear in mind that the inferior function is all or nothing and is generally a weakness. If Holmes was using Se then it would be pretty useless in the inferior slot. However, in most interpretations (especially in the movie) he is shown to have social problems, which indicates an inferior Fe instead.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sherlock Holmes' Se is pretty amazing though. He notices like the smallest physical details.

Aye, and also important to note, he notices instantly and in any situation. That needs to be said too. Anyone can see those details if they look for it hard enough. Holmes notices instantly, despite the direness of the situation he finds himself in. That has to be use of very good Se, and can't be simply 'mimicked' by types not able to use Se to such an extent.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Previously I would concurr but apparently some brains are built to record information better. Something about a test done on london cabbies, them famed for having "The Knowledge".

I agree that it's a stretch and to try to argue that the character doesn't beggar belief or result in some kind of hero role would be futile and incorrect.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Detail is precisely the word I would use to describe INTP memory. Ne does not denote a lack of detail, on the contrary I've found that my Ne brings in details that others completely overlook.
Ne does not notice detail. It notices patterns. This is precisely why "others" overlook what a Neer easily notices, because patterns are indirect representations of details.

Furthermore, tertiary Si remembers things in hindsight, and (often useless) details are very important to our memories. The way I understand it, Se translates to General but wider while Si is specific but narrow?
Extroversion/Introversion of Perceiving Functions determines the flow of perception. If Pe, then perception will rely around the objective. If Pi, then perception will rely around the person(subjective). Thus, Pe is limited by the objective criteria whereas Pi is independent. Thus, Se will be "enhanced" perception in a limited timeframe and situation(objective) but Si will be "consistent" perception relying on the experience of the individual(subjective).

Se and Si are both specific, it is what makes them "S" functions. What really determines their difference is what is said above. Although, because Se is an extroverted function, it will have the greater degree of specificity but only during that exact situational of perception. I guess you can say Si covers more because historical information is inherently "breadth of detail" whereas Se is "depth of situational detail". The thing is, with information, you can make Si focus on one subject and therefore produce the same "depth" of detail as Se. But it's not as situationally "handy" and "flexible" as Se.

Also bear in mind that the inferior function is all or nothing and is generally a weakness. If Holmes was using Se then it would be pretty useless in the inferior slot. However, in most interpretations (especially in the movie) he is shown to have social problems, which indicates an inferior Fe instead.

Inferior Functions does not necessarily mean ineptitude, it could also be about a "wacky obsession in details" such as in Holmes case. What the "Inferior Function Slot" essentially means is the least preferred behavioral inclination. Thus, the least used, thus, the weakest. The resulting "attitude"(frustration) towards the inferior function can either form an "antagonistic" (misanthropy in Inferior Fe) or an abnormally obsessive use of the function.

With Holmes, however, I see a significantly greater degree of Ni than Se. Sure, he notices some details but the overall methods of his deductions rely on connecting all those dots. I mean, you could get all those details and still be really confuzzled. I think that's where he is masterful, the creation of a complex and yet still valid possible "background/prediction" from the seemingly insignificant details. Introverted Intuition.

Aye, and also important to note, he notices instantly and in any situation. That needs to be said too. Anyone can see those details if they look for it hard enough. Holmes notices instantly, despite the direness of the situation he finds himself in. That has to be use of very good Se, and can't be simply 'mimicked' by types not able to use Se to such an extent.

Again, he notices the significance of those details because of his Ni. Does he notice any irrelevant information? Does he feel stimulated by simply "noticing" stuff without deduction? No, he does these things ultimately for the benefit of his dominant function.

-----

Of course, that's just my theory.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
INTPs don't notice detail and yet we're known as nitpickers, correctors of definitions and pedants...

Strange no?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTPs don't notice detail and yet we're known as nitpickers, correctors of definitions and pedants...

Strange no?

That, I believe, is a different form of detail. It's precision in the form of judgement, and what I mean by that is it connects itself towards an overall introverted judgement; it becomes a perceived necessity in the overall perceived logic of technicality. Definitions must be made in order to "properly" conclude certain aspects of the system. (And, in my opinion, rightfully so)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That, I believe, is a different form of detail. It's precision in the form of judgement, and what I mean by that is it connects itself towards an overall introverted judgement; it becomes a perceived necessity in the overall perceived logic of technicality. Definitions must be made in order to "properly" conclude certain aspects of the system. (And, in my opinion, rightfully so)
Now you're avoiding using the detail word.

Without detail no fine definition can be reached.
Without detail all patterns would be obvious, plain and boring.

I love detail. I just can remember random strings of unimportant, disconnected drivel. As it is with me so too is it with Holmes, at least in this regard.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now you're avoiding using the detail word.

No, seriously, detail Ti =/= detail Se.

Without detail no fine definition can be reached.
Without detail all patterns would be obvious, plain and boring.
The thing is: details and patterns are one. (That kinda complicates things, but oh well...)

I love detail. I just can remember random strings of unimportant, disconnected drivel. As it is with me so too is it with Holmes, at least in this regard.

Holmes sees the "immediate" detail and concludes the bigger picture from this awareness of details. Se - NiTe. (something like that I think)

You, if you're INTP, on the other hand, notice the pattern and you store it in your memory for later Ti-"understanding". Ne - SiTi.

So, in a way, you are restricted by Si, whereas Holmes can "leap" with Ni.