First 12345 Last

Thread: for the womenz

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    How alien would it have to be?
    Dirty birdie!
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ThatGirl

I think women over exaggerate the whole birthing process. The way I viewed it was scared shitless beforehand, couldn't think straight enough during to really stop and revel in it, then badass afterward.

I think people disregard the fact that our bodies are equipped to do this. Giving birth takes on a momentum of its own, and you feel instantly back to normal afterward. Its pretty amazing when you break it down analytically, but that is hardly on your mind during.

Billions of women have done this for ages without being scared for life over it. That has to tell you something.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    I like babies. I think I'd enjoy having the feeling of an alien being growing and moving inside; that part sounds like a fun adventure. What scares me is pushing it out (or getting it cut out) :eek:
    I described my daughter's birth as something right out of a sci-fi movie, it was the coolest thing ever!

I just doubt I'd be able to appreciate it in the same way as a participant though...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Billions of women have done this for ages without being scared for life over it. That has to tell you something.
    Scarred or scared?

Just because bilions of women have done it doesn't mean they liked it. Some do. Some don't.

Until recently, many didn't even much have a choice even about getting pregnant or bearing children; and let's remember that "natural childbirth" had a much higher mortality rate for mother and child. You think they weren't scared?

But it's just the way the world was, and it was what a woman did, and so she did it without fighting it so much. I think it's harder now to do it if you don't want to, since you have more options and know you might be able to avoid it. People embrace their fates far easier when they feel they can't escape them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ThatGirl

Scarred. Sorry.

I am just saying it is something our bodies are prepared for. It's a natural function we are predisposed to as females. It isn't as crazy as women make it seem.

Yeah, there are horror stories, but no more in giving birth then there are in life in general. There are no absolutes. But I think the current population size can confirm that there are more successful births then failed ones. Otherwise the population would be a standard rate.

Then again, I may be a bit biased, as I am a freakishly efficient alpha female.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I am just saying it is something our bodies are prepared for. It's a natural function we are predisposed to as females. It isn't as crazy as women make it seem.
    And this is what helped me in the end. Body told mind to "shut up and let me do this!" It worked...with some help from CBE and a very nice doula.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I really didn't enjoy my pregnancies physically, i'm quite short so i just fell like a big round doddering object, esp towards the end. I was also not very well, i'm just not suited to it. That being said, i loved having a baby growing inside of me, imagining all of the features forming and wowing out thinking about their futures. I also really enjoyed the fact i could already have an impact on their learning, like reading out loud to them and playing music...that was fun. The births were just terrible and after the first one it was worse because then i knew how bad it could be. But again i then had the most amazing overpowering feeling of love for this tiny being completely dependant on me for everything. Babies are miracles.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sx
    Socionics
    wtf

Billions of women have done this for ages without being scared for life over it.
    Given the mortality rates for women in childbirth over most of human history, we would then have to suppose the average woman was incapable of observation and extrapolation: not likely. I'll bet a lot of women have been (rightly) afraid for their lives. Not that I'm saying that's my problem. My problem is finding it gross, weird, and uncomfortable.

However, your opinion is noted.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
    - Umberto Eco

INTP e9 (sx/so/sp)
    Ti = Ne (41.3) > Si (31.2) ~ Ni (31.1) ~ Te (30.1) > Se (24.1) >> Fe (21) & Fi (20.1)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sx
    Socionics
    wtf

Yeah, there are horror stories, but no more in giving birth then there are in life in general. There are no absolutes. But I think the current population size can confirm that there are more successful births then failed ones. Otherwise the population would be a standard rate.

Not sure that's a comforting though, exactly...

It certainly is "natural" enough, but it's still a huge strain on the body. As they teach in med school, there are three kinds of people: men, women, and pregnant women.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
    - Umberto Eco

INTP e9 (sx/so/sp)
    Ti = Ne (41.3) > Si (31.2) ~ Ni (31.1) ~ Te (30.1) > Se (24.1) >> Fe (21) & Fi (20.1)

MBTI
    INTP

I have always found the idea of being pregnant horrifying. I think it may actually be a phobia - the thought of having a little person growing inside me, leeching my energy reserves to serve its needs gives me the creeps. Added to that I'm not even sure I want to RAISE a child just yet, I can say for sure that pregnancy is not something I'll be considering any time soon.

Funnily enough, I have no problems with pregnant ladies. It's just when I'm faced with the prospect of being pregnant I get all squeamish
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons