User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    "No, I'm just really good at borrowing, rearranging and connecting the ideas of those who are actually really smart. "
    ha. I like this.

I've had to learned to just say thank you and leave it at that. I'm such a perfectionist and have such a high view of what is intelligent that I rarely think of anything I say as being terribly smart. Other people may disagree with my ideas on what is smart and if they're kind enough to complement me then I may as well be grateful and try not to look like an aloof ass.

edit: Just saw this was in the NT Rationale... that was dumb.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    nnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    I find it pretty depressing.
    Me too. Confronts me with isolation. "hey, you're smart, little parrot (as often smart=knowing stuff to people), show me some smart people tricks"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI

Laugh and say "nope!"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    "Wow, you're smart" falls into the same sarcastic category with "no shit sherlock". The appropriate response would be "Thanks. I'd be happy to help you tie your shoelaces. ".
    Delightful! Should have thought of that one myself (guess I'm not so smart).

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I only feel good about getting that compliment if the person saying it is reasonably intelligent. Otherwise I just shrug my shoulders and think so what? Unfortunately, some of the people who say I'm so smart aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

On multple occasions now, I have not been told that I am smart, but actually asked how I am so smart. It's a horrible question. How can I answer?

First, I say that I'm not necessarily so smart, and I have weaknesses. But I know that's not what they want to hear. They think I'm being falsely modest and at any rate are looking for advice.

So second, I have to try and come up with a credible explanation. I typically say it was the way I was home-schooled, the fact that I had no friends, and wasn't made to do chores, and was simply left with tons of free time in a house full of books. Oh, and one parent was not involved and the other made everything into a confusing open-ended question instead of telling me what to believe.

But that's no good, because it reflects the lengthy past, thus not functioning as advice useful now. So going for broke I usually say for them to study logic and critical thinking and hone a dispassionate temperament and they'll be on the right track.

Then I walk away thinking "I have little idea if what I just told them has merit, but they wouldn't take 'I don't know' for an answer".

It doesn't make me any more confident in my intelligence. It makes me feel bad for the other person because I know they must be looking down on themselves. It makes me feel like there is at least a perceived standard I now have to live up to. And it forces me to go through that awkward routine. There's nothing good about it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by suttree View Post
    How do you react when someone says this to you?

It doesn't feel like a compliment to me unless I just did something I think is clever.

A shrug and an "apparently so" is my usual response before changing the subject.
    I always act embarrassed, but secretly I love it. Just being honest

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I always act embarrassed, but secretly I love it. Just being honest
    For some, compliments are malignant.

It's not guaranteed, but the majority of compliments I get both make me feel pressured and like a fraud.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    For some, compliments are malignant.

It's not guaranteed, but the majority of compliments I get both make me feel pressured and like a fraud.
    Jesus, that's horrible! Why are you so often around such manipulative people?

Edit: oops, can't read. (in other words, i'm stoned)

2nd Edit: have you heard of impostor syndrome?

It normally feels like it creates a hierarchy I don't want or else is trying to buy me. Sometimes it seems to translate to "I'm so ditzy" or "I'm so stupid" also, especially when it is said about something that I figure wasn't that genius to begin with. In those cases I seem to assume the conversation has little potential and we probably can't discuss things in any meaningful way anyway. I normally still try to find common ground somewhere, but I prefer people who show an interest and try to learn, rather than label something as above them (which the comment feels like it does). So it could depend on what follows. "Wow, you're smart. Teach me!" would probably pass and get you some way. "Wow, you're smart. I could never do that." equals I feel like flattering you while taking zero interest in what you love or do.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.