User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by A. Zhang View Post
    So far, he's demonstrated his strong point: ideas.

However, our team has had some bad experiences with ideas in the past year: too many ideas that were never fully developed.

I'm convinced that I am better for the job, because I excel in execution of the idea.

However, that's my point of view. If you're sure that it will nosedive me into trouble, I'll heed your experience.
    I'm just looking at this as a win-win. He's got experience and ideas. You've got motivation and execution. Is there any way to combine both sets of skills to create something bullet-proof where division isn't necessary? This way, you can get buy-in from everyone.

Just another way to look at accomplishing your goals. I can't say that you're going to nosedive for certain since I'm not involved and can't see the group dynamics. But divisionary tactics can create negative synergies which aren't always necessary.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    He's got experience and ideas. You've got motivation and execution.

divisionary tactics can create negative synergies.
    From a team perspective, you'd be right. We would make an excellent synergy.

I'm still convinced I'd make a better captain, but in the long run, the only thing that will make a difference is how the team will perform.

I'll have to consider that, alot.

Consider the future. You take him down and you'll have to watch your back.

If you can in some way, get the two of you to mesh, wouldn't life be easier? This way, as a bullet-proof team, you watch each other's backs. When it comes time for the hand-off of captaincy, guess where it will naturally flow?

Anyways, I've already been too directive. So I'll shut up now.

MBTI
    INTP

From a team perspective, you'd be right. We would make an excellent synergy.

I'm still convinced I'd make a better captain, but in the long run, the only thing that will make a difference is how the team will perform.

I'll have to consider that, alot.
    I've been told that INTPs can go absolutely crazy defensive when they receive criticism, especially in relation to their passions and expertise. So, I guess, be careful... you're potentially undermining a person who could quickly turn uncooperative and resentful, and don't take the presumed synergy for granted at the very least.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Alright, thanks for the advice, I didn't realize that he may have that many trump cards up his sleeve.
    Well, he's an NT. He thinks things through thoroughly (Ti) and he anticipates the all the possible moves that you might possibly make (Ne) and accounts for that in his gameplan. It's very, very hard to surprise an INTP in a competition - because if he is serious about the competition, then he's already thought about all possible scenarios - what you might say, what you might do, what your advantages are, his advantages/weaknesses, etc, etc.

You just have to flat-out "beat him" at whatever game is being played. You won't really beat him by surprise tactics. You just have to be better than him on that day.

EDIT: Also, the team won't be having the elections for more than a month. From what I'm getting, this is a disadvantage?
    Only because Ti involves taking your time and developing a sound strategy. If I have a month to prepare for something, I will get better and better and better (and more knowledgeable) with each day that passes. I will strive to understand the situation I am up against to the nth degree. I will think about it, mull over it, lay in bed and ponder over it, draw up different strategies on paper, talk to people and get feedback, etc. If I have like 4 days to do something, then I feel rushed and I don't feel confident I can do my best work. But, if I have several weeks (and it's something I'm serious about), you better believe that my presentation is going to be dyno-mite!
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I've been told that INTPs can go absolutely crazy defensive when they receive criticism, especially in relation to their passions and expertise. So, I guess, be careful... you're potentially undermining a person who could quickly turn uncooperative and resentful, and don't take the presumed synergy for granted at the very least.
    I think Metaphor has great ideas here. If the OP goes to the INTP and is direct with him, i.e., "Look, I think we really compliment each other a lot. You've got the ideas, I've got the execution skills. And some people support you and others support me. How can we help each other to make this work best for everyone involved? I don't care who gets the credit, I just want results. How can we make that happen?"

If you approach an INTP like that (if he's fairly mature), I'm thinking he's going to want to work with you. And make no mistake about it, a good ENTJ along with a good INTP would definitely make a great combination. Together they've got vision, creativity, great ideas, implementation/execution, organization, thinking things through, etc. All the bases are covered - uh, except "feely" stuff.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    All the bases are covered - uh, except "feely" stuff.
    LOL

We have one last person I forgot to mention, an INFx. She's going to be animation captain this year. I think she can cover that .